Thread: Cable Crimping

Xtreme Member

Cable Crimping

I decided to make custom cables for my build recently, and had the chance to try out the various crimping tools and pins out there.

Initially I thought all pins and tools give the same results, but alas, after trying them out, the results say otherwise.

I thought I'd share my results, maybe help save some folks from hair pulling when the crimp goes bad.

These are ConnectX pins, you can find them @ PPC or elsewhere, they have this "gold" plating.

These are MDPC-X pins.

Notice that the MDPC-X pins have longer "wings", you will soon see why it functions better.

I tried 2 crimping tools, one "Han Long" (bottom) and another one from MDPC-X (top), it came in a plain box, so no branding, oh there is the usual custom marking from Nils of course .

Here goes the head to head results :

1st wire : MDPC-X crimp with MDPC-X pin create an "m" shape that bites into the insulation, making the contact real solid.

2nd wire : MDPC-X crimp with ConnectX pin create an "m" shape as well, however, as mentioned earlier, due to the shorter "wings", the pin doesn't bite into the insulation as much.

3rd wire : Han Long crimp with MDPC-X pin. The tool simply sucks to be honest, it was the reason I decided to buy the MDPC-X crimping tool despite the cost to ship internationally. The crimp is unable to create an "m" shape, it simply folds the "wings". Simply pulling on it slides the cable off the pin unfortunately.

Xtreme Member
    Great comparison, writeup, and pictures! I too can vouch for the MDPC-x crimper's quality.
    Regards,
    Martin Simpson

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crys1s_Gam3r View Post
    Great comparison, writeup, and pictures! I too can vouch for the MDPC-x crimper's quality.
    Yes it's actually quite simple to do as well.

I guess the crimping craze hasn't caught on compared to the sleeving craze

Xtreme Member
    I have the same tool. Got my from Performance PCs and it looks like the same one Nils sells. I need to order some of those ATX pins from Nils though next time.

Having to re-pin if you happen to have 2 wires on a pin is almost impossible with the pins from Performance PCs due to the smaller "wings"....

Nils and MDPC-X always have the BEST!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnoen View Post
    I have the same tool. Got my from Performance PCs and it looks like the same one Nils sells. I need to order some of those ATX pins from Nils though next time.

Having to re-pin if you happen to have 2 wires on a pin is almost impossible with the pins from Performance PCs due to the smaller "wings"....

Nils and MDPC-X always have the BEST!
    Are you sure you got the same crimping tool from PPC as Nils?

Nils' on the top, PPC's on the bottom. They LOOK awfully similar, but the difference is significant

Xtreme Member
    The problem is not the crimper. I use the Han Long crimper and it works very well. You need to buy your crimp treminals from Molex and you'll see they work perfectly. You'll find them at shops like radiospares or farnell.

Also you need to buy the correct terminal for your wire : PSU wire is usually 18 AWG and the "wings" as you call them are adapted to the thickness of the wire.

Buy the proper terminal and your crimper will work perfectly

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
    The problem is not the crimper. I use the Han Long crimper and it works very well. You need to buy your crimp treminals from Molex and you'll see they work perfectly. You'll find them at shops like radiospares or farnell.

Also you need to buy the correct terminal for your wire : PSU wire is usually 18 AWG and the "wings" as you call them are adapted to the thickness of the wire.

Buy the proper terminal and your crimper will work perfectly
    I really doubt the Han Long will work as well.

As you can see from the picture (3rd from left), I used the same terminal as the one MDPC-X sent me. The mechanism of the Han Long tool is "fold over", unlike the MDPC-X tool which is "fold into an m shape", which bites into the insulation.

I am not saying the Han Long tool wouldn't work, it just don't work as well. I had several incidences where I had to remove the pin from the plug and the pin came right off when I pulled on the cable

Xtreme Member
    I get the exact same result with the Han Long and molex terminals as you do with MDPC-X's. The fold over in an M shape is the way any crimper should work provided that the "wings" are of the proper length and that you use the proper tool's slot

I am not sure of what happened when you crimped with MDPC-X terminals but this is not a typical result for this tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
    I get the exact same result with the Han Long and molex terminals as you do with MDPC-X's. The fold over in an M shape is the way any crimper should work provided that the "wings" are of the proper length and that you use the proper tool's slot

I am not sure of what happened when you crimped with MDPC-X terminals but this is not a typical result for this tool.
    how did you put in your connectors?
    perphaps that is a reason why of the differences in results

Xtreme Cruncher
    If I make custom length cables for my PSU, is soldering necessary or can I get away with just crimping them?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Polizei View Post
    If I make custom length cables for my PSU, is soldering necessary or can I get away with just crimping them?
    Crimping is fine. For this type of application a properly crimped assembly is actually better then a soldered one.

Xtreme Member
    No soldering is required if you have a good crimp

Xtreme Design
    I'm sold on the MDPC crimp now...
    -------------------------------
    Not From Concentrate
    All Projects
    Previous Projects:
    S3 Mini ITX Chassis
    The ArK
    Uriel
    Israfel
    Veritas
    Eldritch

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NFC View Post
    I'm sold on the MDPC crimp now...
    me too it will be my next purchase.
    GIGABYTE G1.Sniper
    I7 950---12GB F3-12800CL9T-12GBSR--GTX 460 hawk talon attack--300gb velociraptor
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    i7 2600k---GTX560 ti 2gb----16gb mushkin 997005---120gb mushkin chronos deluxe
    PC power & cooling 750 quad

Im going to pick a knipex crimper, and Im kinda confussed about insulation and no-insulation.

By the kind of connector, I guessed I had to pick the non-insulated, open plug-type connectors type.

But checking at this thread, youre talking about crimp onto the insulated area of the cable, so Im confussed now. Given all those models, should I pick the "insulated terminals and plug connectors" , or the "non-insulated, open plug-type connectors" ?

I want it mainly for PC custom wiring crimping. Thanks in advance.

Xtreme Cruncher
    You need the model 97 52 05 I think.

You need the model 97 52 05 I think.
    Thanks; Any case I think the 97 52 04 fits better for pc wiring sizes (AWG 27-13), since typical fan wire starts at AWG26, and usual molex wires are AWG18)

Aside of this, 97 52 04 or 05 as both stated as for non-insulated. But you guys are talking here on this guide on crimping on insulated area of the cable, just by the pics.

So, insulated oriented, or non.insulated. Cant clarify this out.

Xtreme Guru
    thanks dude much appreciated, u answered my question! Shouldnt this be in the review section as its more of a review/comparison? ANyhow nice work dude! Really glad i came across this thread..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?