Thread: Shut down AVG9?

Xtreme Addict

Shut down AVG9?

Hey Everybody,

Just did a clean install of win7. Added AVG9. I've been using AVG for a few yrs now. I've always had the ability to Exit out of it, shut it down, etc. Doesn't seem like AVG9 allows that. It has several processes running in task manager, and if I try to shut them down that way---they just restart themselves right away. The GUI has zero options to shut it down. Any thing I can do to shut down AVG9 at will?

Does Avast have this issue? I may switch away from AVG because of this....

I got fed up with AVG due to a myriad of issues after years of loyal use.

My new weapon of choice is MSE.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
    ASUS P6T Deluxe :: INTEL i7 920 :: XFX GTX260 :: Corsair 1600 6gb :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Win7 Ultimate X64

Xtreme Addict
    Well, that one is new to me, so I'll keep it in mind.

Found a partial answer that I'm not really satisfied with:

http://free.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-1311#faq_1311

Avast is the only one that I can think of atm, but I'm interested in switching to a new AV....Free, of course. I don't like the idea of AVG just taking over control of my rig. I want to shut it down to game....but uh, they say: NO.
    Shat. Who gave them a vote?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    I have been using Avast! for a few years. very few false positives in that time updates come in regularly. I am happy with it, I can't speak for other free solutions, I have no experience of them. Avast allows the disabling, pausing and restarting of the various modules... system scan, web scan etc by clicking the icon in system tray.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Go to control panel, Administrative Tools, Services, find "AVG Free WatchDog" and right-click into Properties. Select Manual startup type and then Apply/Ok. You can also start or stop the process from within that window as well. After that, you should be able to kill all AVG processes in task manager and start them back up with no problem. Note that if you choose "Disable" for the startup box it will not allow AVG to run until you choose automatic or manual again.
    Last edited by DeadlyFire; 12-02-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by s1nykuL View Post
    I have been using Avast! for a few years. very few false positives in that time updates come in regularly. I am happy with it, I can't speak for other free solutions, I have no experience of them. Avast allows the disabling, pausing and restarting of the various modules... system scan, web scan etc by clicking the icon in system tray.
    Cool. I think I'm going to give Avast a try. Got the key and the DL just need to uninstall AVG when I have time to do the "clean up" real quick also.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFire View Post
    Go to control panel, Administrative Tools, Services, find "AVG Free WatchDog" and right-click into Properties. Select Manual startup type and then Apply/Ok. You can also start or stop the process from within that window as well. After that, you should be able to kill all AVG processes in task manager and start them back up with no problem. Note that if you choose "Disable" for the startup box it will not allow AVG to run until you choose automatic or manual again.
    Makes sense. I never thought about looking at services. But there still seems to be too many steps to getting AVG shut down. I'm going to go back to using a program called Alacrity, and even though I could probably get it setup to accomplish the task....I just think shutting down a single exe would be much simpler all the way around. Plus it kinda pisses me off that AVG would choose to go this route.

A side note: 1.5 Billion in majestic! 2 thumbs up for you! I've never run majestic, but I've crunched long enough to know that 1.5 billion of anything is a bunch!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
    A side note: 1.5 Billion in majestic! 2 thumbs up for you! I've never run majestic, but I've crunched long enough to know that 1.5 billion of anything is a bunch!
    It's all relative the #1 guy is almost at 26billion and Movieman here at XS is almost at 6.5 billion If you've got an internet connection and no banwidth cap come join us, we're MORE than glad to have you!

Xtreme Addict
    may be wait a bit before you switch ... I'm not even sure you can access their forums at the moment, traffic is huge. There's been a disaster last night with a bad update screwing thousands of computers...Mine wasn't affected, I luckily turned it down before the update and turned it back on after the correction. But during 8 hours, thousands and thousands of avast users have seen they systems "crowded" with FP trojans, a horror show I tell you

edit: Naja002, you last posted here about your intention to switch exactly in the middle of this avast FP disaster (between 1am and 6 am today), while someone (not aware) just advised you to do it because he experienced very few FPs with avast...
    Last edited by Logos; 12-03-2009 at 11:08 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Well, Thank You for the Headsup! I haven't switched yet. So, I'm good atm. Still planning on getting away from AVG though, may not be in quite a rush to check out Avast atm.....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
    Well, Thank You for the Headsup! I haven't switched yet. So, I'm good atm. Still planning on getting away from AVG though, may not be in quite a rush to check out Avast atm.....
    I was a bit worried to be honest that you might have fallen into the trap. Nice you didn't switch last night. You can still go avast in a few days, it's worth it. What happened to them has happened to all AV companies once in a while unfortunately, and Avast virus definition database will be reliable again very quickly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    What Avast aflood with FP? After I said I experienced very few FP's. Still what ever caused this problem did not affect my PC. No FP's here, I will stick with Avast. As was mentioned all AV suppliers screw up on occasion, but this problem seemed to have bypassed me despite the auto updating of virus definitions.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

Xtreme Addict
    Just wanted to update this a bit. Been waiting a few days for Avast to get back to normal...about ready to make the switch.

Stopping AVG Watchdog in services isn't an option. It's greyed-out. In theory, Manual and Disable are startup options, but that's really not beneficial to me. I find it hard to believe that AVG went this route, but.....I'll just go somewhere else....

Xtreme Addict
    I don't know what the issue is, why you can't stop it. But the question also is why would you want to stop it in the first place ? Avast has self protection too (you can stop it if you really want, or stop any of its shields individually) but keep in mind my that these AV have anti-termination protection against malware that's normal.
    Got another laptop running with AVG, I'll check later on it and post back.

edit: yes indeed the service start/stop functions are grayed out. I took ownership with the local account but this doesn't change anything. On the other hand, you can deactivate the service (not stop it), but it won't be effective before a reboot.
    Last edited by Logos; 12-08-2009 at 02:17 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    I have been testing a valid alternative to AVG and I like it very much so far. Its a program know as Threatfire. The company that made this was approached by the dev team for Norton to program in the same system threatfire uses to detect viruses with is a behavior watch system into Norton 2010. Threatfire doesnt use a virus database but looks for what things are doing and if it does something it isnt suppose to it goes after it. Virus's have a certain behavior and Threatfire looks for this.

Xtreme Addict
    yeah, ThreatFire is controlled by PCTools, themselves acquired by Symantec...so, they haven't just been approached by Norton, they belong to them now. It's a HIPS "like" software...tried it a very long time ago, not supposed to replace an AV and doesn't match a real HIPS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Well thanks for more of the info. And nothing used as little resources (from what I have found) as AVG but i dont like the not being able to quit thing. Also it was attacking my games including Crysis, CoD WaW,and CoD MW2. Threatfire has been great so far.