Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shamino's Full Review of The X1950XTX

Xtreme Member
    Here are some benches from HardwareZone before they pulled it.

I don't know why this review looks so much slower performance wise for the 1950XTX than vr-zone.

Maybe they realized they screwed up their benchmarks and are redoing them right now.(maybe vise-versa )

Anyway these are the pics of their results BEFORE they pulled their review article, enjoy.
    Last edited by Your_Boss; 08-12-2006 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Your_Boss
    Thank You

Muslim Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse
    ok forget the game benchmark numbers for the time being, I got flamed pretty bad all around by readers, I gotta figure out what went wrong with my 7950GX2 runs.

Since the date i can publish the review is pushed back quite a bit so i'll redo it and redo the setup.

the rest is still pretty relevant though
    Thats BS man. If you can run all the 3DMarks and get a higher score, the games should work just the same.

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad
    Thats BS man. If you can run all the 3DMarks and get a higher score, the games should work just the same.

I think games and GFX benchies are two diff things. In a game you'll have alot of area's that require little of the card but when alot of action is on the card its stressing it. Benchies are full load high res trying to render large maps and intricate designs. When your getting shot and so much comotion is going on in game I think its a bit different from 3dmark my self

Xtreme Mentor
    thanks ever so much for those graphs. I missed the original article and was searching everywhere for the results it produced.

EDIT... just gave a quick glance at the results and I must say I am dissapointed, especially after reading the VR-Zone results which painted a much prettier picture of the card. I am upset to see the 3DMark scores actually go down while any gains seen elsewhere were extremely minimal. I am glad to see the temps are a little lower, but without info on system tested on, fan speed setting, overclock (if any), as well as ambient temps during testing, makes this review hard to go by as well. Shamino just hinted the card may be pushed back until the middle of September before release, so that should give more time for other reviews, hopefully end users, to put in their commends and results for comparison purposes. I was stoked about getting this card and selling my current but perhaps it really isn't worth it after all.
    Last edited by cantankerous; 08-12-2006 at 10:54 AM.
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    Asus P8P67
    2600K w/ Thermalright Venomous X Black w/ Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    8GB G.Skill DDR-1600 7-8-7-24
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1G
    Modded Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    1 X 120GB OCZ Vertex
    1 X 300GB WD Velociraptor HLFS
    1 X Hitachi 7K1000 1TB
    Pioneer DVR-216L DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    From the hip and aim at the kitchen if she doesn't approve your purchases. She'll know better next time.

Muslim Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Your_Boss
    Here are some benches from HardwareZone before they pulled it.
    I don't know why this review looks so much slower performance wise for the 1950XTX than vr-zone.

Maybe they realized they screwed up their benchmarks and are redoing them right now.(maybe vise-versa )

Anyway these are the pics of their results BEFORE they pulled their review article, enjoy.
    Thats because:

1: Crappy AF settings. These are high end cards that can handle it
    2: Chronicles, Quake4, FEAR (was even done with no AA) are all games we know that Nvidia is better at (also, FEAR takes advantage of the raw power of 2 cards). Who cares about OpenGL performance?

Sad. Why dont they show some HL2 Episode 1, or serious sam, or farcry. Hardwarezone goes on the list of sites not believe anything from

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmad
    u dont have a clue what ur talking about
    ddr4 memory has higher latencies, hence the lower 3d mark scores
    latencies matter only in benchies and software stuff
    latencies matter none in games, where the x1950xtx's memory bandwidth is used to higher potential, the x1950xtx's memory bandwidth is used more efficiently than the 7950gx2... and the memory clock also matters alot in games
    My Rig:
    i7 3770k
    Sabertooth Z77
    MSI GTX680 reference
    2x8gb Mushkin Redline 8-8-8-18 @1600
    Corsair Neutron 256gb
    2x Toshiba 7200rpm 3TB(Raid 0)
    Corsair 600T White
    Corsair HX750
    Asus PCE-AC66
    Hanns-G 27"

I am Xtreme
    If they pulled it, they screwed up the benchmarks bottom line, there is no mystery there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Evil Kitty
    Actually Hardware Zones look pretty accurate all around compared to other reviews....except for the new X1950XTX results of course. The GX2 and X1900XT results look right on the money.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB (8 x 4) Gskill @4000
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    OS & Apps: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Games: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
    Storage: Crucial M500 2TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse
    ok forget the game benchmark numbers for the time being, I got flamed pretty bad all around by readers, I gotta figure out what went wrong with my 7950GX2 runs.

Since the date i can publish the review is pushed back quite a bit so i'll redo it and redo the setup.

the rest is still pretty relevant though
    Just because you got flamed by people who didn't believe your results doesn't mean you should scrap your findings as irrelevant. Some do believe your results to be correct.

Time will tell whether you were acurate or not. Until then, don't concern yourself with what other angry 7950GX2 owners are yelling at you for. You did what you could as accurately as you could with the time frame you were given. Thanks.
    "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were stiking thirteen..."

Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    "Thermal"_"take" (i.e. they take a good idea, turn it into total crap, then over charge and add a blinking light, and thus you get the name "Thermale Take")

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vengure
    I think games and GFX benchies are two diff things. In a game you'll have alot of area's that require little of the card but when alot of action is on the card its stressing it. Benchies are full load high res trying to render large maps and intricate designs. When your getting shot and so much comotion is going on in game I think its a bit different from 3dmark my self

No, you have it backwards. Since games are run at high res and AA + AF the video card is getting stressed hence the small differances in perf. between cpu's and other small things in gaming environments. Only the gpu matters (for the most part) in gaming environments. Since benchmarks are run at lower res and settings and are made to evaluate the entire system's performance cpu and other sublities such as ram timings etc. play a much bigger role in the results.
    Unapproved link in signature. Signature has been removed.
    Please read the forums rules and guidelines. They are at the top of the forums.

Edited by IFMU

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I think they were pulled after people had words rather than any questions on the results.

Regards

Andy

No offence to you shamino, we all know your top in the overclocking community and well respected bro..

Im glad to see that it was pulled ^^^ I actually soaked my pillow in tears after accepting my stepup from evga thinking I was finally gonna have a top performing card, and then read your article and got shot down hard..Hopefully after they allow you another shot at the card itll be a different story..
    Join the XS WCG team and do your part to help save the world..
    ^^^Click here to start folding for the soon to be number one team in the world..^^^

Main rig: Gigabyte DS3/6300@3.2 7950 GX2/Server:Expert/165@2.9/PCI vid/Wifes:ASrock Dual SATA2/3800@2.4/X800XTAIW/Kids:165@2.7/X850XTPE

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
    -Emo Philips

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa
    Actually Hardware Zones look pretty accurate all around compared to other reviews....except for the new X1950XTX results of course. The GX2 and X1900XT results look right on the money.

I think you're right Mike. Will be interesting to see how it looks after a few other reviews / tests have been run using some other drivers on both sides. I'd expect the Xfire with the X1950 to compete with the 7950GX2, but not the single card. I'm not a fanboy for either camp, if one is substantially faster than the other for the same money - I'll buy it. I also consider the noise and heat levels too - and the NVidia options have been better in those two areas lately. I hope the X1950 changes that.

Does LardArse = Shamino?
    Bloodrage || 920 @ 3.2Ghz || TRUE Black
    3x 2GB HyperX 2000 || @ 2000Mhz 7.7.7
    2x 300GB WD VR Raid 0 || 2x 2TB Samsung F3 Raid 0
    LG 10x BD-R || LG 22x DVD/RW
    MSI GE 470 || LG 246WP
    Sonar X-Fi || Klipsch 5.1
    Lycosa || Mamba || Exact Mat
    CM ATCS 840 || Seasonic M12D
    Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophy
    No offence to you shamino, we all know your top in the overclocking community and well respected bro..

Im glad to see that it was pulled ^^^ I actually soaked my pillow in tears after accepting my stepup from evga thinking I was finally gonna have a top performing card, and then read your article and got shot down hard..Hopefully after they allow you another shot at the card itll be a different story..

what do you mean?

Egyptian OverClocker
    Quote Originally Posted by kenofstephen

what do you mean?

he means that he got his 7950GX2 from evga and then he finds according to this review that X1950XTX AND X1900XTX is better than his card which is not true
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Cruncher
    will there be a need for a master card for cf? or can you just use two x1950xtx's?

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin_Unknown
    will there be a need for a master card for cf? or can you just use two x1950xtx's?
    Yeah you will need a X1950 master card. It will cost the same as the slave and have the exact same specs.

Xtreme Addict
    That's a pleasant change. Do they all clock +- equally as well?
    Conroe E6300 ES
    2x1gb Ballistix PC8000
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe (1705)
    Manli Geforce 7950GT 512mb
    Hiper Type-R 480w
    Samsung SP250

"What did the quantam duck say?" "Quark Quark"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinc
    Yeah you will need a X1950 master card. It will cost the same as the slave and have the exact same specs.
    hmm, thought they were getting rid of that and having it done internally (sli style)

After reading this review (Before it was pulled) it seems quite obvious that the 7950, was not running both cards, but only a single card was functioning properly. (In the gaming tests)

Whether or not it was software or hardware related i'm sure Shamino will figure it out and run a new test.
    "But its the way I am and the way I was raised that a brother is a bro for life and you always back a bro. I try my best at taking care of those that need and also getting involved. To many times people just sit by.I wonder through the troubled times of my life if someone had stepped up for me earlier I would have had less bad big hurdles to try to make it over.I just really love to try to do whats right for others."~Conway-Captin Insano

You will be missed Bro RIP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Shamino did not pull out the review because the benchmarks where not correct, he pulled it out because the red guys asked him to do it.

If Peter says that are the results then those are the results, bottom line.

Hey take it easy now
    I am not questioning his integrity.

He knows there was something wrong with the 7950 results and has said as much.
    "But its the way I am and the way I was raised that a brother is a bro for life and you always back a bro. I try my best at taking care of those that need and also getting involved. To many times people just sit by.I wonder through the troubled times of my life if someone had stepped up for me earlier I would have had less bad big hurdles to try to make it over.I just really love to try to do whats right for others."~Conway-Captin Insano

You will be missed Bro RIP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by don_vercetti
    That's a pleasant change. Do they all clock +- equally as well?
    all cards clock differently, because all cores are different
    if u get two cards from the same batch, one may overclock to 900/1500 and one might not at all... silicon is weird
    My Rig:
    i7 3770k
    Sabertooth Z77
    MSI GTX680 reference
    2x8gb Mushkin Redline 8-8-8-18 @1600
    Corsair Neutron 256gb
    2x Toshiba 7200rpm 3TB(Raid 0)
    Corsair 600T White
    Corsair HX750
    Asus PCE-AC66
    Hanns-G 27"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rpg711
    all cards clock differently, because all cores are different
    if u get two cards from the same batch, one may overclock to 900/1500 and one might not at all... silicon is weird
    Helpful answer. Read my post again, think about it, and then try and come up with a constructive reply.

I said +- well. I know all silicone is not equal, everyone does. It's just that the X1900 Crossfire was based off the X1900XT rather than XTX, so it didn't clock as well as an X1900 Crossfire might have done had it been based off XTX, hence limiting the OC potential of Crossfire somewhat. However if the X1950 Crossfire clocks as well as the X1950 XTX...then we're very happy!
    Conroe E6300 ES
    2x1gb Ballistix PC8000
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe (1705)
    Manli Geforce 7950GT 512mb
    Hiper Type-R 480w
    Samsung SP250

"What did the quantam duck say?" "Quark Quark"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast