Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide To Current WaterCooling Components

Guide To Current WaterCooling Components

In this guide I will give a listing of all of the current watercooling hardware on the market. For each item I will give a short description, along with the appropriate use for that item.

Most of the items in the guide are U.S. / U.K. based due to the largely english speaking and located readership. Also, most of the 'Euro' based components are not easily compatible with regards to fittings with 'American' components. As such, for simplicities sake I will omit them.

To purchase the items listed in this guide, check out my "stores" guide which is located here.

CPU WaterBlocks

Non-IHS and Single Core IHS

1. Swiftech Storm - 75USD - this is the top performing waterblock currently in retail. It is better suited to more powerful pumps, but still performs well with low flow/power pumps. Apparently the Storm is no longer dsicontinued, but it seems there are now large price hikes, and somewhat limited availability.
    Due to repeated incidents in which the storm is improperly installed, please be advised that the proper way to install the tubing on the storm is as follows: inlet in the center and outlet towards the outer edge.

2. Cooltechnica MP-05 LE - 50-65USD - a high restriction waterblock with excelent performance. while it does not outperform the Storm per pump power, its lower pricetag makes it an attractive choice. The newly updated LE version boasts higher performance per flow and keeps its price tage competitive with the Swiftech Storm. It is not know at this time, which one will take the performance crown.

4. Danger Den TDX - 52USD - while a good waterblock, it is not an optimum choice of waterblock for a high or low power pump system. I list it merely for completeness of the guide.

5. Danger Den RBX - 52USD - Again, a good waterblock, but not worth considering unless you have some desire for a 3 barb waterblock.

6. WhiteWater LE (all coper version) - 44USD - Origionaly designed by Cathar, this 3 barb waterblock performs well, but uses a dated design and is not optimal for maximum performance.

IHS Dual Core, Quadcore and Dual Die

NOTE:When using waterblocks on LGA775 boards I reccomend to use a motherboard backplate. You can purchase one made by thermalright HERE. It is called "Thermalright LGA775 Bolt Thru Kit"

1. D-TEK FuZion - 65USD - Semi-Controlled testing by some of our members have shown the FuZion to be an excellent performer with incredibly low flow restriction. An excellent choice for an SLI/Crossfire setup where all 3 blocks are on the same loop. Performance can be improved upon by adding a thin o-ring to the mid-plate as described HERE

2. Swiftech Apogee GTX - 73USD - The top performing waterblock from Swiftech, the Apogee GTX is on top of the performance heap for its class, right along with the FuZion. The GTX uses a coated aluminum top, which Swiftech's Owner, Gabe had assured us will stand up to years of use and provides a lifetime warranty on the waterblock. Update: The black dye on the GTX does come off rather easily and it is suggested that the dye on the inside of the block be worn off with a toothbrush and mild solvent (say windex/dish soap) before use. The GTX has higher flow restriction than the FuZion, but overall is not very restrictive. The GTX ships with two O-rings, a normal sized one (installed) and a large one which will bow the base, improving performance. For more details on this go HERE and check out Swiftechs Product page HERE.

3. Swiftech Apogee GT - 49 to 56USD - The vanilla version of the Apogee GTX, the 2 differences between the GT and GTX are that the GT has an all delrin top and the barbs are placed close together horizontally, whereas the GTX has the aluminum top and the barbs are placed far apart and positioned diagnally. The GT does perform a bit worse compared to the GTX but is slightly less restrictive (i should emphasise that the difference in flow is small) do to the closer barb placement. The different barb placement also means that orientation of the waterblock does make a difference with regards to performance, especially on dual die processors like Intel's Kentsfield. As with the GTX, 2 O-ring sizes are included.

GPU WaterBlocks

1. MCW-60 - 60USD (with ramsinks) 45USD (without ramsinks) - the MCW-60 is the next step up from the MCW-55. It uses the same base plate as the Apogee, and uses a molded delrin top. Currently the MCW-60 appears to be the top performing GPU waterblock and has very little waterflow restriction (lower than that of a Maze4). The 60 dollar version of the MCW-60 comes with 8 MCW-14 ramsinks, normally around 15 dollars. This waterblock is my first reccomendation for anyone shopping for a GPU cooling solution.

2. Danger Den Maze4 Acetal - 39USD - this is an excelent gpu waterblock with incredibly low restriction and great performance. I personally use one and generally reccomend them to everyone.

3. Cooltechnica MP-1 - 45USD - A newcomer to the gpu cooling segment, the MP-1 shows great potential, but with no publicly available data it cannot yet recieve my top reccomendation. With that said, sources say the waterblock performs several centigrade better than the Maze4.

4. Swiftech MCW-55 - 50USD - A revamp of the proven design of the MCW50. with improved flow characteristics it provides lower flow restriction and increased performance compared to the older, aluminum topped, MCW50. The waterblock performs on par with the Maze4. It should be noted that the performance data on this waterblock provided by swiftech should not be trusted. While their data is generally excelent, in the case of the MCW-55, it is.. in a word.. rubbish.

5. Cyclone Fusion HL - ~60USD - An Aussie waterblock of excelent construction and performance that is said to perform better than the Maze4. While this may be true there is no data as of yet to validate this. While an excelent block, expense make it a less attractive option. (As far as I know, Cyclone is no longer manufacturing waterblocks, but you can still purchase this waterblock at Petras Tech Shop while supplies last)

6. Danger Den Maze5 Acetal - 43USD - An update to the Maze4 design, the Maze5, according to Danger Den outperforms the Maze4. Currently there are no tests of the Maze5, but based on its design it should perform better than the Maze4 while being a bit more restrictive.

7. D-Tek FuZion GPU - 50USD - The newest GPU block to date, the FuZion GPU waterblock incredibly restrictive (by far the most restrictive GPU block on the list) and is not reccomended at this time.

Radiators

Before I list the products I will explain why I broke them up into two categories. There are generally two users out there: the gunho, tone deaf, noise doesnt matter, and the silent computerist. So to cater to this, I broke the radiators into the low noise and high noise orientated groups.

Note: With high power fans, the "high noise" radiators will outperform the low noise radiators, but when coupled with low noise fans the "low noise" radiators outperform the others.

Low Noise

1. HWLabs Black Ice Pro (1, 2 and 3) - 29-45USD - The Black Ice Pro's have been around for a long time and are excelent performers. Currently they are the only 2 and 3 fan radiators that are orientated to quiet computing.

2. Thermochill PA160.1 - 80-130USD (price varies wildly between retailers) - The PA160 is a revolutionary radiator designed in part by Cathar. It is a single 120mm fan radiator that performs close to that of dual fan radiators. Due to its expense (outside of the UK) to performance ratio its hard to recomend it in any but very special situations, but it is still a great radiator.

3. Thermochill PA120.X (120.1, 120.2, 120.3) - 80 to 120 USD - Described as the new king of cool, I highly reccomend these rads. They are pretty much the perfect radiator.. High cooling capacity while optimized for low noise fans.. Not much more you can ask for in a radiator. I should note that as of writing this there has not been any test data presented, but from calculations provided by Cathar, these radiators should not fail to live up to their name.

4. Swiftech MCR220-QP and MCR320-QP - 45 and 55USD - The creation of Bill Adams, formely of Swiftech, the MCR220-QP is an excelent low CFM optimized radiator. the MCR220 is positioned between the Black Ice Pro2 and PA120.2 with regards to performance. But the nice thing is that its very economically priced. At the time of writting, they are priced at 41.99 at CrazyPC. While a bit more expensive, than the BIP2, if you have the extra 10 dollars, it would be 10 dollars well spent. The MCR220-QP comes in two colors, black and blue. Currently, the MCR320-QP is the best bang of the buck when going for maximum cooling performance in a low noise setup.

5. CoolingWorks 22-T and 32-T - 44 and 60USD - Another radiator designed in part by Bill Adams, now of CoolingWorks, these two radiators have BIX like dimmensions, but have a lower FPI (12) which lends them to use with lower speed fans such as the yate-loons. No data is available at this time, but expect them to perform relativley similarly to the MCR series and Thermochill PA series (assuming same size radiators are compared; ie double, tripple) Their low price makes them an attractive option for those who cannot afford the PA series from thermochill.

High Noise

1. HW Labs Black Ice Xtreme (1, 2, 3) - 45-78USD - These radiators provide excelent high power fan (110+CFM) performance while having a lower pricetag than the Thermochill HE series. There are rumors that the HE's perform better than the BIX series, but I really wont make such a claim as I have not seen any test data to backup such claims.

2. Thermochill HE120.X - 80 - 120 USD - Formerly Thermochills main line of radiators, they are still an excelent choice if you plan to use fans that are over 110CFM. For users in the UK who want such a radiator the Thermochills would probably be a better choice (compared to BIX's) due to cheaper costs over there.
    Last edited by MaxxxRacer; 08-04-2007 at 10:12 AM.

beefin' it up!
    Maxxx, good guide, but a couple things:
    1) you make it sound like Fusion HL/SLs are impossible to get in the USA, but frozenmods has them for 52 bucks. True, it's only one store, but still... It isn't impossible
    also, what about pumps? I assume that's part of the "to be completed"

and you misspelled "acetal"... you really need to proofread your posts!
    Last edited by Bloody_Sorcerer; 04-30-2006 at 01:08 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    Maxxx, goof guide, but a couple things:
    1) you make it sound like Fusion HL/SLs are impossible to get in the USA, but frozenmods has them for 52 bucks. True, it's only one store, but still... It isn't impossible
    If you order tha block from FrozenMods all they do is send your order to Silverprop who machines your block and about a month later you should get it in the mail, not exactly the same thing as ordering a block from FrozenCPU and having it in the same week.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

as hijon pointed out, that is why i said what i said.. there is no quick way of getting the fusion hl in the US.. waiting a month for it is rediculous... just totaly rediculus..

I will proof read it when im done.. it will go into ms word at that point for spell checking...

yes there will be a pumps part too. BUT i DO have a pumps guide that is really long and detailed...

beefin' it up!
    yes, yes, I suppose you do... but if C-Systems ever releases their "cathar's wet dream" pump I doubt there'll be a need for such a section

Xtreme Addict
    This is definately sticky worthy, but Maxx, I would refrain from recommending unreleased products (PA120.X). I know it's supposed to be great, but recommending it at this point is kind of like saying a movie that you haven't seen is great, even if you were talking about LOTR a week before it was in theatres. Dig?
    ebay under aws983s, heatware under Mr. Tinker.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm sure Maxxx has lots of info from Cathar on how it performs, that is, if Cathar hasn't already sent him one

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

Bloody, cooltechnica has the wet dream pump.. and it will be getting better if bruce can hammer out a better deal with panworld. What do you think of 130dollars for a crazy powerful 12v pump.. with low heat dump.

Tinker, its called Warez

anyone download a PA120.3 yet... i hear its on torrentspy lmao.

with regards to the pa120.3 performance, I have only spoken to cathar briefly about it, the rest of the info is on the forums... And unless Stew suddenly started lying to us all to sell products in which he has no vested interest, I believe we will have a new king of radiators on our hands.. just a crying shame it will cost and arm and a leg..

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, my example was bad (I was thinking of a specific instance where a fellow student claimed that LOTR1 was one of his top 3 most influential films before he had even watched it) but I get your point.

Cathar's word is <STRIKE> good enough for an informal recommendation</STRIKE> gospel. Does he have his test bed up and running? What about yours?

Plus you left a disclaimer of sorts, so I'm satisfied. Sorry to nitpick.
    ebay under aws983s, heatware under Mr. Tinker.

no worries.. nitpicking is needed.. always need ppl to check on what i write.. dont want to put garbage up there or anything that could be false..

my test setup is.. well its not a test setup.. I just got a job and after I get my car settled away (and a 3800 X2) I will start hording away money for a few grand in test gear...

and yes cathar has his test setup running.. afaik he has done alot of tests with the pa120.x and it.. well it pwns.

#incluide<iostream>
    using namespace std
    intmain()
    {
    if(!maxxxracer)
    char mrTinker[999999]
    {
    cout<<mrTinker<<endl;
    }
    else
    cout<<"woot I was not wrong\n";
    return 0;
    }

Xtreme Legend
    I would still argue the description of the Storm, given that it is not bested in any reviews even when using pumping powers twice as weak as an Eheim 1046.

It's suited to strong pumps insofar as every block likes stronger pumps better. It doesn't just perform well with weaker/lower flow pumps, it is still unsurpassed even at this level.

Get yourself down to 1/4" tubing, an Eheim 1046, and a few other waterblocks in the loop, and now you're starting to get to a point where the Storm might be equalled by another block.

Yeah, I know I'm defending it 'cos it's my pride and joy, and I openly admit it, but given that time and again reviews show that it is unsurpassed even with pitiful pumping efforts I find myself struggling to comprehend the commentary that often gets associated with the block that it requires a strong pump to perform well.

It's my pet peeve. I spend months of development effort to create a block design that is not surpassed even at low flows, and still people categorise it as a high-flow strong-pump demanding block.
    Last edited by Cathar; 10-06-2005 at 04:53 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    haha. maxxx has been taking some classes in C i see. *snickers*

oops... excuse the thread crapping

[/crap]
    "premature optimization is the root of all evil" - Donald Knuth

<('_'<) <('_'^) (^'_'^) (^'_')> (>'_')> OMG ITS T3h POWER RANGERS!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathar
    I would still argue the description of the Storm, given that it is not bested in any reviews even when using pumping powers twice as weak as an Eheim 1046.

It's suited to strong pumps insofar as every block likes stronger pumps better. It doesn't just perform well with weaker/lower flow pumps, it is still unsurpassed even at this level.

Get yourself down to 1/4" tubing, an Eheim 1046, and a few other waterblocks in the loop, and now you're starting to get to a point where the Storm might be equalled by another block.

Yeah, I know I'm defending it 'cos it's my pride and joy, and I openly admit it, but given that time and again reviews show that it is unsurpassed even with pitiful pumping efforts I find myself struggling to comprehend the commentary that often gets associated with the block that it requires a strong pump to perform well.

It's my pet peeve. I spend months of development effort to create a block design that is not surpassed even at low flows, and still people categorise it as a high-flow strong-pump demanding block.
    But if you had a very weak pump the Storm might still perform best, but how would it affect the performance of any other blocks in the loop?

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

beefin' it up!
    restriction goes down as flowrate goes down; something about an inverse square or something. So with lower flowrates initially, your netted flowrates would be less but not as significant a drop as if you were using like an MD100.
    Also, Maxxx...
    How does the AQX100/150Z stack up against:
    10 meters head
    3.3 gpm
    25-30 watts
    small (forgot the dimensions)

all posted by dave over at procooling.
    But either way, theres some hawt new pumps comin up

bloody... dont know if the AQX100Z can compete with that... those specs seem impossible.. the effeciency would have to be staggering.

it musnt get warm at all at 30watts of power usage as ALL of the power would have to go into pumping and NOT heat..

Hijon, that was my point exactly.. that is why i would choose the to go with the 6002.. the storm may beat it with nearly any pump, but the difference in performance would be incredibly small and would not overcome the detriminte (sp) to the rest of the systems performance (gpu waterblock, radiator and any other waterblock)

Xtreme Legend
    You quantified that there MaxxxRacer?

beefin' it up!
    how's this for a reason: MCW6002 is 35 dollars less than a swiftech storm.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    how's this for a reason: MCW6002 is 35 dollars less than a swiftech storm.
    Was referring to performance only. I have no qualms about the MCW6000 being referred to as competitive at low flow, or even superior at extremely low flow, I just like things to be put into proper perspectives that's all. The Storm is no more suited to strong pumps than weak pumps, that's all I'm saying. Unless of course by "weak" we really mean so absolutely pathetic that the pump struggles to lift water even 30cm.

beefin' it up!
    true, true; the storm is the best across the board

no, just theory.. examining the I still belive that the 6002 would be beneficial compared to the Storm to other waterblocks in a system.. especailly so if you are running dual gpu.

beefin' it up!
    if you're running dual GPU with a MCW6002 and an eheim 1046 or weaker, you might see better temps with the 6002 :-P

Xtreme Member
    I prefere costum water blocks...here in my country there is a guy that makes water blocks and it is really a goog piece of copper...for NB, CPU and lately he made an GPU 6800/7800 full cover...he has also an home page...and sell the blocks in EU too...but I can`t put the link in here bacause it will be a commercial...and it is not allowed

Regards,
    Primoz
    CPU: Q2C 6600 @ 3712mhz 1.456V
    MOBO: DFI LT P35
    MEMORY: Gskill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
    GPU: ASUS 8800GTS 320mb
    PSU: Enermax Infinity 650W
    CASE: CM Stacker 01 rev. 2.0 balck
    COOLING: MCP355+Alphacool moded TOP, AQ MP-05 SP LE, Cooltech DUAL, EK RES 200

XIP - can sit on his hair
    Maxxx... no biggie... was jus' wonderin' if you could amend this statement slightly:

Due to its expense to performance ratio its hard to recomend it in any but very special situations, but it is still a great radiator.
    Just add "outside of the UK" in between expense & to

beefin' it up!
    so get a good american supplier :-P
    we NEED THEM!

hmm... ill add it marci... lol. 45pounds isnt bad.. but when it gets over to america its like getting stabbed in the face with a CRT monitor...

bloddy is right on this.. we need a good supplier... there has to be some way to get around all those tarrifs and high shipping....

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast