Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chilly! Evap Rev-e

HVAC/R Engineer

Chilly! Evap Rev-e

This evap I have been setting on for some time at the request of my parteners, we have decided to publish it now as we will begin testing in a few weeks. It should give us a few degrees less Delta and more capacity as well as a little more effciency.
    THE chilly1 evap has been a work in progress for a while. Last october I was discussing a few principes of evaporator design with acompany interested in using it for a specific application. In the conversation we discussed the evaporation process and the heat flows within the evaporator.
    I drew a few designs and got the copywrite completed on this design.
    well here it is.. Teh small holes in red are there to help prevent liquid slugging and the bottom suction hole is .25 above the base for bottom down operation so the block will flood. The capillary tube is inserted into the top. As soon as I get the final load testers ( software driven load and monitoring device) I should be able to determing the best configeration. I will publish the results at that time.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E-REV2.jpg 
Views:	2144 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	35048  

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks Good!!

we can make copies right, just we can't sell them?

the_new_guy

Xtreme Member
    no, you can't make copies of a copyrighted product, unless you're given consent from the person who owns the rights to the design. Chilly copyrighted the block so people couldn't make them. His time and effort went into the design, so he has the rights to it

Edit: Take a look at the freevap thread, it's like "fuggers freevap" or something, there are a bunch of designs people submitted which can be copied.

-150c Club Member
    You got consent to use anyof my freevap designs

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    looks good chilly1
    hope all goes well and you get better effciney and lower delta like you planned

good luck

HVAC/R Engineer
    I hope so.. damn lot of work went into that design

Xtreme Member
    i can tell

looks like u spent more than a few painstaking hours on this design

Xtreme Enthusiast
    chilly 1 You make your evaps on a lathe right?Cnc?

how does there performance compare to that of maze type?

the_new_guy

Xtreme Member
    Hi Chilly,

I will make sure to kick the person, responsible for the load testers, some more...

Honestly though, I am faithful that those will be finished this weeked and you will be the first person to receive one! Windows software and usb connectivity are sweet as could be (0-250W)!
    Last edited by placebo; 07-30-2005 at 04:43 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Very nice design there! I can't wait to see some results with it. By the way, I have one question that is a bit off topic: Would the evap increase capacity if it was taller? (Same design.) I read that once on the forums; is it true?

ln2nl
    Is the main changemant of the design that the gas now comes from down and goes upwards?
    *EDITed by IFMU*
    Signature Removed by XS Staff for not following XS Policies

Forum Policies

Xtreme Addict
    No, the older revisions did that too. You can just shove the cap tub through the top and spiral it around the layers down to the bottom, rather than just drilling a cap tube sized hole through every layer. The cascade block i have from him uses 1/8" tubing, and that had 1/8" holes drilled through each layer so the end of the 1/8" feeder line let out at the bottom of the sprial (closest to the CPU).
    I like building Vapor phase coolers......
    ......to cool mynipples!!

Heat is "gclg2000"
    95-0-0

-100C Cascade Club

Xtreme Member
    Well, before you had just 1x pass on the outer spirals. The refrigerant was traveling from the very bottom to the very top and got sucked out through the suction line. With this design change the refrigerant will be injected at the top spiral, work its way down and than will be sucked back up the evap (inner rod), before being sucked out the suction line.
    So, without going to much in detail and what exactly I personally hope this will accomplish, the new revision will have a minimum of 2x passes (inner and outer rod) and will bring more liquid refrigerant closer to the base. Thus, decreasing thermal way.
    Last edited by placebo; 07-30-2005 at 06:36 AM.

ln2nl
    Ok i thought that the gas entered from above only... but ok is there any difference between the heatload?
    *EDITed by IFMU*
    Signature Removed by XS Staff for not following XS Policies

Forum Policies

So when can i buy one?!?!? And when will you have your prototype?

Xtreme Gentoo User
    Those things are hawt, I may buy one when you start selling

Admin
    Why are you just now deciding to reverse the flow of refrigerant from top to bottom instead of from bottom to top? What made you decide it would work better if you haven't tested it?
    I have been feeding the refrigerant in from the top center of the evaporator and letting it run through the inside of the evap. That way it cools the large mass on it's way down instead of feeding it directly to the bottom of the evap through a captube drilled in down the side of the center column. You said you didn't like to do that because you broke too many bits and it was time consuming.
    With this new idea as shown here, your going to have to drill a 1/4" hole all the way down through the middle of the evap. Along with the thinner base ,your gonna loose alot of mass. How will you gain?
    Last edited by runmc; 07-30-2005 at 03:23 PM.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Looks like something I could upgrade to in a few months. Great work as always.

Xtreme DČOL Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by runmc
    Why are you just now deciding to reverse the flow of refrigerant from top to bottom instead of from bottom to top? What made you decide it would work better if you haven't tested it?
    I have been feeding the refrigerant in from the top center of the evaporator and letting it run through the inside of the evap. That way it cools the large mass on it's way down instead of feeding it directly to the bottom of the evap through a captube drilled in down the side of the center column. You said you didn't like to do that because you broke too many bits and it was time consuming.
    With this new idea as shown here, your going to have to drill a 1/4" hole all the way down through the middle of the evap. Along with the thinner base ,your gonna loose alot of mass. How will you gain?
    the mass doesnt necessarily help and is more likely to increase dT although it might stabilise changes from load to no load and vice versa better, however given sufficient capacity of the design the loss of mass might be benficial.

the change of flow makes sense as the refrigerant entering the block is at the highest temp it will be and the entry to the suction line will be the lowest temp in the evap. so having the coldest point nearer the load should improve the dT. waterblock design has shown that heat only moves a few millimeters through the copper with a reasonable dT so reducing the distance between the cpu/gpu/etc, with sufficient surface area and refrigerant, will give you better temps.

drilling a 3/8" hole through the centre isnt difficult and can be done quite easily with hss bits and steady clamping of the block.

Here to help
    But how do you drill the 3/8" hole at the base of the evap, as it needs to pass through two turns of the spiral????

Regards

John.

"Thermodynamics is a funny subject. The first time you go through it, you don't understand it at all. The second time you go through it, you think you understand it, except for one or two points. The third time you go through it, you know you don't understand it, but by that time you are so used to that subject, it doesn't bother you anymore".

Xtreme Addict
    wow she looks nice...glad i waited on getting one...when are they on for sale?

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cossey
    the change of flow makes sense as the refrigerant entering the block is at the highest temp it will be and the entry to the suction line will be the lowest temp in the evap. so having the coldest point nearer the load should improve the dT. waterblock design has shown that heat only moves a few millimeters through the copper with a reasonable dT so reducing the distance between the cpu/gpu/etc, with sufficient surface area and refrigerant, will give you better temps.

drilling a 3/8" hole through the centre isnt difficult and can be done quite easily with hss bits and steady clamping of the block.
    Well Cossey - You theory makes sense and I like it but from the diagram, it looks to me like the refrigerant will never reach the base (contact point) of the evaporator, but I suppose you think that is good too.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmmm I saw someone else's evap that had cap tube in the top and suction at the bottom I think you all know who im talking about. I just find this especially entertaining.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well Cossey - You theory makes sense and I like it but from the diagram, it looks to me like the refrigerant will never reach the base (contact point) of the evaporator, but I suppose you think that is good too.
    I think the base is open and it just falls into the bottom from the spiral region which is then supposed to fill with liquid refrigerant.

Phenom™
    I'm a noob to block design so correct me if I'm wrong, but chilly mentioned something about flooding the block. If that's the case then the refrigerant will certainly contact the base before entering the suction.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast