Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus A8V and RAM problems

Asus A8V and RAM problems

I just got my new A64 system. A Asus A8V motherboard, A64 3200+ 90nm CPU and a Corsair DDR500 dual kit.
    My problem is that i cant get the memory to run the same overclocked speed as the FSB/HT bus.
    I have overclocked to 250MHz and the CPU is running at 2500MHz no problem but my memory is only running at 208MHz.
    If i try to set the RAM divider to 2:1 the system wont boot.

I dont know what im doing wrong. Please help.

Try enabling 2T.

Xtreme Member
    In your bios under CPU config to the memory config menu....the first thing is memclock mode...set it to manual...now set it to 2:1...that will make the memory run 1:1

It is confusing, but that is ASUS for ya. GL

Quote Originally Posted by CODE 4
    In your bios under CPU config to the memory config menu....the first thing is memclock mode...set it to manual...now set it to 2:1...that will make the memory run 1:1

It is confusing, but that is ASUS for ya. GL
    Thats the problem. it cant boot if i do that.
    And enabling 2T command didnt help either
    Last edited by m@d-m@x; 11-12-2004 at 11:49 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Are you maxed out on Volts to the memory? Make sure it is @ 2.8V. Try running the ram at the loosest timings. Here is what you need to set it to, I think:

Starting at the first # of the ram speeds Try:

8 3 11 A(Auto) 3 A A 8 3 A

Disable 2T

Lemme know what haps, GL

Quote Originally Posted by CODE 4
    Are you maxed out on Volts to the memory? Make sure it is @ 2.8V. Try running the ram at the loosest timings. Here is what you need to set it to, I think:

Starting at the first # of the ram speeds Try:

8 3 11 A(Auto) 3 A A 8 3 A

Disable 2T

Lemme know what haps, GL
    It didnt work but im not sure if i adjusted the settings as you described. I am a bit Noob concerning RAM.

My bios settings for RAM are as follows (in correct order)

CAS, TRC, TRFC, TRCD, TWR, TRWT, TRAS, TRP, TWCL.

I did disable 2T and adjusted VDDR to 2.8 and tried CAS 3 but that didnt work. Wierd because my Dual kit is DDR500 Certified so 250MHz should be standard for them.

Xtreme Member
    Have you tried using just one stick of ram? Has the ram ever been ran at 500mhz or is this the first time? You may have some bad sticks. Also, have you tried DDR 480 or 460 to see if it will run at those speeds?

I havent tried those speeds or settings. But still if you could explain or tell me how the timing settings shown above should be. That would be great.

I found out that my memory should be functioning at 3.4.4.8 timings but i hav no idea which of these settings is what.

CAS, TRC, TRFC, TRCD, TWR, TRWT, TRAS, TRP, TWCL.

Set as follows:
    CAS 3
    TRC AUTO
    TRFC AUTO
    TRCD 4
    TWR AUTO
    TRWT AUTO
    TRAS 8
    TRP 4
    TWCL AUTO

So CAS, TRCD, TRP and TRAS are the settings that corresponds to 3,4,4,8.
    Last edited by Deuce; 11-13-2004 at 11:01 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry, I was not thinking right. Deuce is right on. TRCD and TRP has to be 4 with that corsair.

Ok now somethings happening.. But it AINT good!!!.
    I tried adjusting these settings again. This time i got it right. BUT... Now just after the graphic card initializes under powerup the bios comes and tell me it is corrupt. (the bios). But not always. once i made it to go through with startup but the pc froze when windows was suppose to appear.

Next i tried removing one of the RAM modules. The first one gave me the excact same errors as before.. (guess thats the one causing those errors.)
    The other Module came a bit longer than the one before but still some pretty wierd errors. This one made it through boot but then when trying to load windows it says it couldnt find the c:\windows\system library. So i thought it nuked my harddrive.. Also one time i got during bios load that no harddrive is present??..

All some very wierd things and i dont know what to make of all this or where to go from here..

EVERYTHING works perfectly when using the machine WITHOUT the 2:1 feature.

You should use memtest86+ and verify that you can loop test #5 before even thinking about booting into windows. And also those new 90nm AMD's has problems running certain memory above 250Mhz with 1t command.

I have heard about BH5 and A64 is not working correctly together. Also how should i test with memtest?
    With normal 200MHz on memory?

Xtreme Recruit
    btw: what's the best ram for the asus a8v deluxe rev. 2.0 I like to buy the Twinmos Twister Pro with TCCD chips!!! r they any good?!

Xtreme Member
    I've been testing, and reading and compare a lot today and something intresting occured to me today looking at the differend boards.

I've tested G-skill TCCD's , OCZ EB's and some good old BH5. The clear winner for today is BH5 with not even a 233 Mhz . After I read this thread DDR Booster user guide. I started thinking...

If TCCD's need that much current, maybe the capacitators on the asus can be the cause TCCD's are a no go on the A8V. Looking at the pics I see a major difference in capacitators and circuitry between the AV8 and the A8V. AV8 is loaded with them and has almost no probs running TCCD fine at the rated specs while the asus s*cks big time with TCCD.
    On the MSI I also see more caps, but I cannot see clearly if there part of the memory circuitry of the belong to the vcore since there located so close together.

What I am thinking now is : Will a capacitator mod work on the asus for running TCCD's.

Xtreme Recruit
    how do ur g skill rams work @ a8v deluxe @YoupY?? how much fsb max 1:1 stable?

any news on the twinmos twister pro??

Xtreme Member
    I can get in windows for about 10 secs with 201 htt sync. After that windows freezes. Tried every possible bios setting, but nothing matters.

Well it really does look like Asus has some pretty skinny capacitors compared to the other 2 boards. Current and correct voltage is the basics of getting everything working correctly. Maybe my hardware provider will exchange this board for the Abit WITH a new bios that is otherwise the Abit is even worse.

I tested my RAM with memtest86+ and it passed 8 times without any errors at 250MHz FSB/HT and 208MHz RAM speed.. So i guess the modules are working just fine.
    I dont know what i can do next. trade my CPU, motherboard or the RAM.

I got the offer of exchanging my Asus A8V to a Abit AV8 from where i bought it..
    Could that be a help or what?.

Anyone have some news about this problem???? a solution perhaps.

Xtreme Member

Lightbulb

I am running a AV8. I also have RAM problems.
    My old RAM Corsair TwinX pc4000 XMS runs in dual mode 3-4-4-10 1T but I must set divider DDR333. Now at 2450 mhz and RAM 204 ( why 204 I don't know but its stable.

I just got some Mushlin L2 222 PC3200 thinking that if I am going to run 200 mhz on my RAM maybe I could get low latencies... 2-2-2-5 that I can'T get with the Corsair.

Well the Mushkin does exactly like your stuff. Will NOT boot PC under any setting if both in machine. Each stick runs OK and passes Mem Test. Tryed every thing I could think of but they will not work if both installed, even in single mode.

Mushkin will exchange and send me two new sticks. They told me that even if they pass mem test one of the sticks may be defective and prevent running in pairs... They will test the next pair on a AV8 before shipping.... Great Service !!
    Hope thats the problem.
    2600k@4800mhz 1.4Vcore

Radeon HD4870
    Asus P67 Sabertooth

2 X Corsair Vengence DDR3 (2X4) 9-9-9-24
    Hauppauge TV
    Corsair Hydrocool200 EX
    Main drive Crucial C300 SSD.
    PWS: Seasonic Gold X 850W

Daamn memory problem.. Im hoping that Asus will release a final version of bios 1009 so i can raise my Vcore and pump the FSB/HT to 280 or something like that. That should raise my mem. speed too because i think the problem is not the speed of the ram but the divider.

Quote Originally Posted by m@d-m@x
    Daamn memory problem.. Im hoping that Asus will release a final version of bios 1009 so i can raise my Vcore and pump the FSB/HT to 280 or something like that. That should raise my mem. speed too because i think the problem is not the speed of the ram but the divider.
    don't be naive. The board is rubbish, admit it and move on. Have one myself collecting dust, a truely #hit board
    Nventiv Mach2/ LianLi Kit
    MSI Neo2
    3200+ (2.8Ghz so far)
    1Gb OCZ 3200 Rev2/ OCZ Booster
    ATi 9800 Pro
    Samsung 191T
    100Gb HDD
    15.4" xBRITE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast