Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: nVIDIA reference GeForce GTX 480 Mods

One-Eyed Killing Machine

nVIDIA reference GeForce GTX 480 Mods

Be excited now folks!
    Actually I'm still in the process of finding the damned data sheet of the controller used on the reference GTX 480's, CHiL Semiconductor's CHL8266.
    If you know somebody who can get the datasheet please ask him to give it to us so we can figure out all the mods.

I think I found the OCP mod, but I'm not 100% sure because I don't know if the pin configuration of the 8266 is the same as 8316's, so I'm not going to post it before I get a confirmation myself or from a brave friend

Some good news, it looks like the CHL8266 is fully programmable via SMbus ( VID, OCP, OTP, OVP ), so if somebody with the necessary coding knowledge can pop in here we'll be able to change the Vgpu, the OCP and OTP & OVP on the fly via software.

Update 07/14/2010
    No GPU OCP/OVP Firmware

You can disable OCP via software ( flash the CHL8266 controller with a modified firmware which disables OVP & OCP ) [ you still need to do the MEM OCP mod, this disables the OCP for the GPU core only ].
    No need to run GPU-z and co, just flash the CHL8266 once and you're done forever

You'll find the necessary files and instructions in the linked RAR archive file:

CHiL 8266 Disabled OCP Firmware - Download from BenchZone
    CHiL 8266 Disabled OCP Firmware - Download from RapidShare

Cold Slow Bug BIOS fix
    Thanks to George "Hipro5" T. the Cold Slow bug fix is out in the wild.
    Flash your card ( info in READ ME FIRST.TXT ) and enjoy.

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Cold Slow Bug BIOS Fix

OCP hard mod *not tested yet though, the risk is yours*

original photo courtesy of TechPowerUp.com

No OCP, No OVP ( Unlocked Voltage adjustment ) BIOS & Tool

Download from: BenchZone or RapidShare

-- if a manufacturer wants to f* with somebody f* with me, come on

Summary, added 07/14/2010
    To sum things up, if you want to do some extreme overclocking with a GTX 480 all you need to do is:

1) Flash the card with the ColdBug fixed BIOS ( BIOS #1 by Hipro5 ) [ download links above ]
    2) Flash the CHL8266 controller with the No OCP/OVP firmware ( BIOS ) [ download links above ]
    3) Do the Cold Boot Bug ( CBB ) mod as illustrated by Kinc ( mod guide pictures to be added in this post later )
    4) Do the Vgpu ( GPU Core Voltage ) mod as illustrated by... numerous people ( mod guide picture to be added in this post later )

*You might have to do the MEM OCP mod, it's a hit 'n' miss thing, some people need it, some don't* ( mod guide picture to be added in this post later )

Enjoy!
    Last edited by BenchZowner; 07-14-2010 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Updated links!
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme X.I.P.
    bump

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Are you trying to make me post the OCP hardmod ?
    It's not worth it since you can override OCP via BIOS / software ( the new GPU-z has an OCP command line parameter for it ).
    For the hardmod you have to replace 5 or 6 ( I don't remember, gotta remove the insulation from my card to check again ) resistors and add new ones or VRs there.

Oh, at least I can add the Vgpu hardmod since it's verified now

I'll be right back

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Okay... post #1 updated!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thx mate

card is flashed, and still working great...obviously but just to confirm

so you edited ovp/ocp out from bios
    and unlocked voltage comes from cracked smartdoctor?
    Last edited by mk-ultra; 05-22-2010 at 06:38 PM.
    Intel i7 980x / 3001B331
    HK3.0+LaingDDCPRO+XSPCRX360+1xMCR220
    EVGA Classified X58+EK FB
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 7-8-7-20(TR3X6G1866C7GT)
    ASUS GTX580
    Enermax Revolution+85 950w
    Corsair Obsidian

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    BIOS instructs the CHL 8266 to disable OCP & OVP.
    BIOS is also modded to allow higher voltages in normal ( non-modified ) applications like Afterburner & SmartDoctor ( you get more than what you used to get with the same app ) and with the unlocked SmartDoctor you can apply up to 1.6V ( while it ain't beneficial at all, the effective range of the GF100 voltages is 1.25V to 1.35V [ and maybe a few cards can gain some more MHz up to 1.4V ] ).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Dear BenchZowner, I think you as extreme bencher could show ocp mod for other extreme bencher

you should know about what I'm talking <- Click!

nice that you share the bios
    Schedule of Live Extreme Overclocking - info Thread

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    "My Backup is bigger than Your Backup"

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by FatAlbert View Post
    Dear BenchZowner, I think you as extreme bencher could show ocp mod for other extreme bencher

you should know about what I'm talking <- Click!

nice that you share the bios

That's BS if this gtx 480 ocp mod, tool and bios are from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
    No Saying, but Showing

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, Andre, I don't understand why you are attacking me in that case if this is from you

I didn't write the mods are from BenchZowner or I'm blind

If you talks about the part "nice that you share the bios ", that's ok, but I didn't see your post with the mods. In that case thanks goes to you for the mod, but I was referring to that BenchZowner share the files with the mod. I didn't know that you gave BenchZowner the mods, sorry.

if anything more please pm me.
    eot

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    OCP Hard mod added.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by FatAlbert View Post
    Well, Andre, I don't understand why you are attacking me in that case if this is from you

I didn't write the mods are from BenchZowner or I'm blind

If you talks about the part "nice that you share the bios ", that's ok, but I didn't see your post with the mods. In that case thanks goes to you for the mod, but I was referring to that BenchZowner share the files with the mod. I didn't know that you gave BenchZowner the mods, sorry.

if anything more please pm me.
    eot

Your statement is not correct if you don't know where BZ got this source. You'll hurt this source, especially you quote my words and I am the provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
    No Saying, but Showing

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Please, we should stop this discussion. I don't know the details, I wrote my posts with the informations that I had, if it's different ok. I can simply delete my posts. No problem. Sorry goes to your "source" if I did something wrong to him.

Xtreme Legend
    does that GPUz temp adjustment work for you now or are you still stuck at cold slow down at -50 or whatever it was?

have you tested the hardmod?

i dont have any 480s myself just interesting how you're going with that issue
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    does that GPUz temp adjustment work for you now or are you still stuck at cold slow down at -50 or whatever it was?
    No, it doesn't work, because the temp sensor that GPUz offsets is not the one that causes the cold slow.

Xtreme Legend
    strange because i think some dude said it helped him on here
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Nah it doesn't.
    I can guarantee you that

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thanks for the precision BZ
    Intel i7 980x / 3001B331
    HK3.0+LaingDDCPRO+XSPCRX360+1xMCR220
    EVGA Classified X58+EK FB
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 7-8-7-20(TR3X6G1866C7GT)
    ASUS GTX580
    Enermax Revolution+85 950w
    Corsair Obsidian

Does this bios work on the gtx470 and unlock all the voltages in the same way?
    Phenom II 955 Black @ 3.8 | Gigabyte MA770-UD3P | 2x 2gb Gskill Ripjaw cas8 | 8800GT (848 core, 2107 shader,950 mem) | Antec TruePower 750w | Lian Li v2000 | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Heatkiller LC waterblock | Maze 4 GPU block

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    No.
    It's not meant and won't work for the GTX 470.

I am Xtreme
    Thx for going against the stream (again) Bill, much appreciated...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

PI in the face
    BZ for presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Champion
    Thanks Bill, you are a great man

The cold slow mod must be revealed and then we can all start to bench GTX480
    Born to lose, live to win!

I am Xtreme
    BZ is the man...i'm up for the mod too

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Updated with the Cold Slow Bug BIOS fix.
    Check the first post, and let your card enjoy a cold summer day at -190C

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Nice

Thanks George
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast