Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD officialy banned Core unlocking on 890 chipsets!

Banned

AMD officialy banned Core unlocking on 890 chipsets!

Every board with AMD 890GX are without ACC (cause SB850), AMD officialy prohibited unlock functions in BIOS. Only Asus board have this feature, little switch ...

Xtreme 3D Team
    What a fail this is. I even use ACC on my 965 to get more mhz out of it. Of course it only yeilds maybe 30 Mhz max. but seriously...

Nice to see board manufacturers like ASUS stepping in to help those who can't afford to buy nice ~$200 CPU's.
    Smile

Quote Originally Posted by OBR View Post
    Every board with AMD 890GX are without ACC (cause SB850), AMD officialy prohibited unlock functions in BIOS. Only Asus board have this feature, little switch ...

Source?

Xtreme Addict
    There you go again.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo13 View Post
    I know you do not have permission from ASUS.

Banned
    I dont need anything, i am a GOD of Everything NDA for this needless chipset lifts is in two days, but of course i know - who care about AMD CPU/chipsets product today ... ? nobody ...

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by OBR View Post
    I dont need anything, i am a GOD of Everything NDA for this needless chipset lifts is in two days, but of course i know - who care about AMD CPU/chipsets product today ... ? nobody ...
    So why do you post about it?

Banned
    For the life of me i cant understand why OP is hammered for breaking/ignoring NDA.For once i thank him, this is xtremesystems not amdintelnvidiaapprovedopininons.org.
    And yes we care :-) .Ive seen multiple comments on this forums mainly on amd stuff for "breaking" nda, the reaction should be opposite.
    Thuban is 2 months away and no leaks so far, we have pretty much all info about gulftown for half a year already...

Xtreme Addict
    i noticed how if its s7e9h3n or somebody its no big deal & everyone asks for results etc, but when someone else does it, everyone comes outta the woodwork to tell them they are breaking nda....

i agree w/ rav, this is xtremesystems - if people are going to post early results / pics we should thank them instead of hate on them lol

edit: mmmmm evil post 666
    LEO!!!!
    amd phenom II x6 1100T | gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 . .
    2x2gb g.skill 2133c8 | 128gb g.skill falcon ssd
    sapphire ati 5850 | x-fi xtrememusic. . .
    samsung f4 2tb | samsung dvdrw . .
    corsair tx850w | windows 7 64-bit.
    ddc3.25 xspc restop | ek ltx | mc-tdx | BIP . .
    lycosa-g9-z2300 | 26" 1920x1200 lcd .

Xtreme Addict
    Marketing shens again? Because you know Mobo manufacturers are like so cool when they allow it anyways. That means they're giving a finger to the man and are our best friends right?
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Addict
    -

Xtreme Member
    Glad to see motherboard manufactures step things up when CPU companies want to limit/ disable certain things.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by kow_ciller View Post
    Glad to see motherboard manufactures step things up when CPU companies want to limit/ disable certain things.
    +1
    Although, I hope AMD is going to change their mind, they will probably lose more than they hope to gain...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    I see some AsRock 890GX+SB750 mobo in my magic sphere.
    -

Xtreme Legend
    does anyone know any details about acc? maybe it could be implemented in software?

Xtreme Addict
    Software ECC sounds better.

Xtreme Legend
    ecc is completely unrelated to this thread and has to be done in hardware otherwise you lose A LOT of performance

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think Wizz won't be angry if he will get bios from mb with 890gx+sb850

maybe he could find something interesting
    Schedule of Live Extreme Overclocking - info Thread

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    "My Backup is bigger than Your Backup"

Xtreme Legend
    nah i dont have time for dissecting a bios .. tbh i dont even have an amd system :P if someone figures out something i'm sure willing to write whatever software is needed

Xtreme Enthusiast
    c'mon Wizz
    Schedule of Live Extreme Overclocking - info Thread

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    "My Backup is bigger than Your Backup"

Xtreme Addict
    Sure, give me a source OBR or stuff it.

If ASUS can do this, why can't anyone else? BIOS related, I don't think so perhaps the chipset doesn't have the same ACC as before, but Nvidia managed to implement their version of ACC (NCC) in their chipset so I am sure manufacturers will find a way around this.

Also, SB710 and SB750 won't go EOL anytime soon so unlocking can still happen anyhow but I sincerely believe it will still be possible with newer chipsets.

Also why post about it if you don't care, to prove you're a more complete human being than all of us?
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by W1zzard View Post
    does anyone know any details about acc? maybe it could be implemented in software?
    Check this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1213805666_Advanced_Clock_Calibration.jpg 
Views:	2709 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	101533  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -

Xtreme Legend
    hrrrm seems to require hardware

Tyler Durden
    AMD banned ACC core unlocking on all 7 series chipsets too. Remember a short while after people discovered core unlocking, AMD notified all board makers to release a BIOS update to disable the functionality? Then what happened? One board maker (Biostar) ignored their demands and soon every other mobo maker followed.

If Asus can do this, this means the functionality is still in the southbridge, and that means it's only a matter of time before every board maker has the functionality implemented again.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    AMD banned ACC core unlocking on all 7 series chipsets too. Remember a short while after people discovered core unlocking, AMD notified all board makers to release a BIOS update to disable the functionality? Then what happened? One board maker (Biostar) ignored their demands and soon every other mobo maker followed.

If Asus can do this, this means the functionality is still in the southbridge, and that means it's only a matter of time before every board maker has the functionality implemented again.
    Multiple firmware modes are awesome
    I also noticed today gigabytes new updated easy tune 6 has "core boost technology" Didn't look into it much as I was using a quad at the time, but it says it enables the power of hidden cores on your cpu So the lack off acc on the GB890 reviews we have been seeing aren't a lack of capability, its just been moved to the software side Cool eh!
    My pot is bigger than your pot

WHAU!!!!

Sounds like they simply removed ACC. Since it isn't really all that useful for cores 800-series chipsets are for, it makes sense to drop it as an unneeded legacy feature. Saying AMD is removing it for the sake of disabling the core unlocking hobby is painting motive where we don't yet have cause to make such accusations.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast