Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GPU required for PhysX in Win 7

Xtreme Addict

Nvidia GPU required for PhysX in Win 7

Looks like Nvidia is going to disable PhysX acceleration if you try using an non-Nvidia GPU for rendering in Windows 7. This of course comes up because unlike Vista you will be able to use graphics cards from different vendors simultaneously.

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/1...s-present.html

Well for all those who have have used Nvidia cards for PhysX and ATI cards to render graphics in Windows 7...All that is about to change.

Since the release of 186 graphics drivers Nvidia has decided to disable PhysX anytime a Non-Nvidia GPU is even present in the same PC. Nvidia again has shot themselves in the foot here and showed they are not customer oriented. Since they are pushing Physx this will not win over any ATI fanboys with this latest decision.

Here is a copy of the email I received from Nvidia support confirming what they have done.

"Hello JC,

Ill explain why this function was disabled.

Physx is an open software standard any company can freely develop hardware or software that supports it. Nvidia supports GPU accelerated Physx on NVIDIA GPUs while using NVIDIA GPUs for graphics. NVIDIA performs extensive Engineering, Development, and QA work that makes Physx a great experience for customers. For a variety of reasons - some development expense some quality assurance and some business reasons NVIDIA will not support GPU accelerated Physx with NVIDIA GPUs while GPU rendering is happening on non- NVIDIA GPUs. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused but I hope you can understand.

Best Regards,
    Troy
    NVIDIA Customer Care"
    So this really confirms that PhysX will be doomed as an adopted API regardless how hard Nvidia pushes it as a result of action like this.
    Flame/Discuss

Xtreme n00berclocker
    With Vistas GPU driver architecture you cannot use 2 different GPU drivers unless you load the XP drivers which breaks many features. There for you cannot use a non Nvidia card as a graphics card and than the Nvidia card for PhysX

BTW this has been disabled in XP for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Planet View Post
    With Vistas GPU driver architecture you cannot use 2 different GPU drivers unless you load the XP drivers which breaks many features. There for you cannot use a non Nvidia card as a graphics card and than the Nvidia card for PhysX

BTW this has been disabled in XP for a while.
    was working in win 7

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm quite sure Windows 7 allows you to use two different graphics drivers. That was supposed to be one of the "improvements" over Vista.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah exactly, but before they could blame Windows. Now that Windows no longer has that restriction they're explicitly preventing people from using an AMD GPU for rendering and an Nvidia GPU for PhysX. Which in my opinion is stupid since that person has to buy an Nvidia GPU anyway. I have no idea how PhysX interacts with graphics drivers though, maybe they don't want other people's driver quirks causing issues with their PhysX stuff but it still seems counter-intuitive.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    I'm quite sure Windows 7 allows you to use two different graphics drivers. That was supposed to be one of the "improvements" over Vista.
    yes and now useless

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So they are software-locking Physx in Windows 7 if you have an ATI card rendering and want an Nvidia card doing the Physx?

With that, and the fact that they screwed early adopters of the Physx PPU, Nvidia is just giving me more reasons to not buy their stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    Which in my opinion is stupid since that person has to buy an Nvidia GPU anyway
    They want to avoid people buying their low end cards for Physx while using ATI high end cards for rendering.
    Last edited by Pontos; 08-08-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I can see if you dont want PhysX to run on non-Nvidia GPU's, but for NVIDIA to not support GPU accelerated Physx on systems with an ATI card even plugged in is a bit odd to me.

If you are running Graphics on an ATI card, and buy a second Nvidia GPU for dedicated PhysX, it should be fully functional in my opinion...

A rather bad move in my book.
    Asus Maximus SE X38 / Lapped Q6600 G0 @ 3.8GHz (L726B397 stock VID=1.224) / 7 Ultimate x64 /EVGA GTX 295 C=650 S=1512 M=1188 (Graphics)/ EVGA GTX 280 C=756 S=1512 M=1296 (PhysX)/ G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) / Gateway FPD2485W (1920 x 1200 res) / Toughpower 1,000-Watt modular PSU / SilverStone TJ-09 BW / (2) 150 GB Raptor's RAID-0 / (1) Western Digital Caviar 750 GB / LG GGC-H20L (CD, DVD, HD-DVD, and BlueRay Drive) / WaterKegIII Xtreme / D-TEK FuZion CPU, EVGA Hydro Copper 16 GPU, and EK NB S-MAX Acetal Waterblocks / Enzotech Forged Copper CNB-S1L (South Bridge heat sink)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Talonman View Post
    I can see if you dont want PhysX to run on non-Nvidia GPU's, but for NVIDIA to not support GPU accelerated Physx on systems with an ATI card even plugged in is a bit odd to me.

If you are running Graphics on an ATI card, and buy a second Nvidia GPU for dedicated PhysX, it should be fully functional in my opinion...

Agreed I don't think (know in my case) that people will move to Nvidia just cause of PhysX if ATI is what they're into.

This imo is one of the reasons PhysX will fail, unless Nvidia allows it on other GPUs.

When will ATI actually release Havok anyways? Havok will have a much bigger chance on the market then Nvidias closed propriety.
    Last edited by Smartidiot89; 08-08-2009 at 09:27 AM.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

A desperate attempt to recover/retain market share. And it will probably bite them in the ass.
    Asus Z170 A
    Intel i7 6700K@4700MHz
    MSi GTX 1080 Gaming X
    16GB Kingston 2400 DDR4
    3 Samsung U28E 590D's
    Corsair AX 860i PSU
    Samsung 950 Pro NVMe, 2 Samsung 850 Pro SSD's
    Corsair Air 540 case

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Talonman View Post

Those that chose an ATI card but still bought an nvidia card for Physx engine are now screwed.

Congrats, Nvidia. You're losing money already, and now you'll lose a little bit more.

Can you imagine a company punishing the consumer for buying another vendor's cards ??

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontos View Post
    They want to avoid people buying their low end cards for Physx while using ATI high end cards for rendering.
    Right but that's assuming people buy hardware because of PhysX. As far as I know PhysX is a tie-breaker for some people, but few put a lot of weight on it. So if that person has already made the decision to buy an AMD GPU for other reasons Nvidia has already lost the sale, so why not let them buy a cheap Nvidia GPU? It's better than not selling them anything at all.

Xtreme Member
    Their marketing division should be fired. This has the potential to create very bad publicity in addition to being a move that can only lose Nvidia money. Transparency and widespread use are what will be saving PhysX in the face of Havok, not restricting access. Duh
    Last edited by MirageSys; 08-08-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I personally like ATI cards better right now with the HD 4xxx range, but missing out on Physx isnt going yo make me switch to Nvidia.

I play Sacred 2, which has uber Physx effects on Nvidia cards, but I am fine without it.

I am Xtreme
    Hmm. I was wondering why I added a 9600GT to my system earlier this week Nvidia PhysX was greyed out.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    When will ATI actually release Havok anyways? Havok will have a much bigger chance on the market then Nvidias closed propriety.
    havoc on gpu will never be released, as havoc is owned by intel.

this is a frustrating development that really tarnishes nvidia's reputation, they used be known as an open company (remember they were the first with open linux drivers). but i do understand why they did it, they've put a lot of work into cuda and getting physx to work with cuda. now they would like to be paid for their work, which is not entirely unreasonable. but in the end, nvidia getting a return on it's investment means we have fewer gpu choices...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    havoc on gpu will never be released, as havoc is owned by intel.
    Yes but Intel and AMDs GPU department is actually working on Havok together (yeah really), and ATI did display Havok years ago, then again a few months ago.
    SweClockers.com

Xtreme Addict
    Yes but Intel and AMDs GPU department is actually working on Havok together (yeah really), and ATI did display Havok years ago, then again a few months ago.
    Source for this co-operation? ATI displayed their OpenCL implementation of a few Havok routines (confirmed by Mike Houston @ ATI). I haven't seen any official word of Havok working on any GPU accelerated port.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    Source for this co-operation? ATI displayed their OpenCL implementation of a few Havok routines (confirmed by Mike Houston @ ATI). I haven't seen any official word of Havok working on any GPU accelerated port.
    June 2008:
    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53109

Intel bought Havok in september 2007
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    this is true, but i look at the hullabaloo intel's big wigs are making about taking tasks away from their precious cpu and i think "i doubt very much they will let ati have this victory."

even if they were to release havoc on gpu drivers, they would be just as effective as physx; because it's just another proprietary system. sure, there are move havoc games than physx games but there are also more nvidia gpus than ati gpus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    this is true, but i look at the hullabaloo intel's big wigs are making about taking tasks away from their precious cpu and i think "i doubt very much they will let ati have this victory."

even if they were to release havoc on gpu drivers, they would be just as effective as physx; because it's just another proprietary system. sure, there are move havoc games than physx games but there are also more nvidia gpus than ati gpus.
    Oh I thaught Havok was open for all and would work on all GPUs out there...
    SweClockers.com

Xtreme Mentor
    Me too...

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=17329

Havok hasn't been standing still during Ageia's technology grab. The company has recently revamped its product line to provide full support for multicore processors, as well as the next-generation Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles, and Havok's newest product, Havok FX, promises to take physics to a whole new level by letting developers use today's Shader Model 3.0 GPUs to run physics calculations for games.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...php?story=6983

Video game physics middleware company Havok has announced plans to support GPU-accelerated physics through its new multi-platform product, Havok FX, announcing a host of other new upgrades in a clear attempt to distance and differentiate itself from rival Ageia, which is using in-game physics to help promote its PPU physics hardware chips.
    Last edited by Talonman; 08-08-2009 at 10:12 AM.
    Asus Maximus SE X38 / Lapped Q6600 G0 @ 3.8GHz (L726B397 stock VID=1.224) / 7 Ultimate x64 /EVGA GTX 295 C=650 S=1512 M=1188 (Graphics)/ EVGA GTX 280 C=756 S=1512 M=1296 (PhysX)/ G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) / Gateway FPD2485W (1920 x 1200 res) / Toughpower 1,000-Watt modular PSU / SilverStone TJ-09 BW / (2) 150 GB Raptor's RAID-0 / (1) Western Digital Caviar 750 GB / LG GGC-H20L (CD, DVD, HD-DVD, and BlueRay Drive) / WaterKegIII Xtreme / D-TEK FuZion CPU, EVGA Hydro Copper 16 GPU, and EK NB S-MAX Acetal Waterblocks / Enzotech Forged Copper CNB-S1L (South Bridge heat sink)

Xtreme Member
    Oh I thaught Havok was open for all and would work on all GPUs out there...
    It is architecture neutral, or at least appears to be that way.

Taken from Havok's website
    " Havok Physics™ has been used in every genre of games, and has evolved to meet the requirements of the most demanding teams in the industry. Havok Physics™ is easily integrated into any game development pipeline and has been proven to work with a whole range of commercially available and in-house solutions. Havok Physics™ is based exclusively on customer requirements, and only targets hardware platforms customers need; as a result it does not impose any unnecessary inflexibility and is entirely open in its architecture. "

Xtreme Addict
    because it's just another proprietary system. sure, there are move havoc games than physx games but there are also more nvidia gpus than ati gpus.
    OpenCL?
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Is it even legal to do something like this all of a sudden?
    Either way, it's a stupid move by Nvidia. Almost seems like they want people to skip PhysX entirely, rather than at least buying 1 of their cards for it
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast