Thread: OCZ Summit Series 250GB SSD Preview - New Samsung MLC

Xtreme Member

OCZ Summit Series 250GB SSD Preview - New Samsung MLC

Looks like OCZ has another SSD series coming out soon - this one called 'Summit' (Samsung controller).

Full Preview:
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=666

I just got some information from OCZ on pricing and availability this morning. It looks like the Summit series of drives will be available near the end of March with capacities of 250GB, 120GB and 60GB. Prices on those drives will be $829, $399 and $199 based on our estimates as well.
    For as long as the Intel X25-M solid state drives have been on the market, we have always had to end all of our other SSD reviews with "pretty good but" conclusions. The advent of a new generation of solid state drives like the OCZ Summit, with new controller logic and the addition of on-board cache memory, is finally giving Intel's mainstream drives some real competition. The performance of the OCZ Summit 250GB SSD is still not besting that of X25-M but it is coming close.

Where the OCZ Summit really shines in our tests is with write speeds - the addition of 64MB of cache definitely has increased overall write throughput compared to previous Samsung MLC-based designs and are indeed faster than the write speeds on the Intel X25-M. Intel's controller is doing much of the same kind of data shuffling and reorganization that the Summit is doing though without the advantage of on-board memory dedicated to the process.

The read speeds on the Summit are very good, though that is the one area that Intel still has a slight edge overall.
    Faceman

I am Xtreme
    Hope they will retail in the summer at a lower price... till now it's a very expensive upgrade. The performance is getting better every day on these SSD's
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

i wish that they had the old ssd drives on there i want to know how much im slower with my oczcore v2
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i want to know how much im slower with my oczcore v2

LOTS.