Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disaster! Futuremark won't approve GeForce 180.48 WHQL drivers

Xtreme Legend

Disaster! Futuremark won't approve GeForce 180.48 WHQL drivers

I have some sad news. According to my source, Futuremark is not going to approve NVIDIA's latest GeForce 180.48 WHQL drivers.

I heard the reason is the PhysX support which is now native in drivers and enabled by default.

This would mean all current 3DMark Vantage scores on X58 motherboard with SLI or 3-Way SLI are not going to be valid and presented in Hall of Fame.

source: Muropaketti.com (Finnish)
    http://plaza.fi/muropaketti/futurema...impia-ajureita

What do you guys think?

My opinion:
    Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

Xtreme Addict
    I'd love it if they'd just fix the program so that user's could run it at their native res. I was on the forums lastnight trying to figure out a cause for 3DM06 not running in Vista and it seems like 3DM has really went downhill badly since I was into last. I got so aggravted with the whole mess I uninstalled both of them from the computer and loaded up Furmark and couldn't have been happier. I may never reload them. It seems like it's one string of problems after another anymore.

Xtreme Addict
    It's a mess for sure. I understand the reasoning behind disallowing PhysX support as it pertains to the CPU test especially if a single card is used. But this is a completely different situation. FutureMark should code Vantage so that the CPU test will not run if PhysX support is enabled or it runs as an unapproved score. One wouldn't think that would not be too difficult to implement.

Xtreme Legend
    seriously are they stupid or something
    surely there is at least one person in that company that can make a filter surely to not have to piss off half the freaking world with their ridiculous actions

its ridiculously easy to make out Physx based runs but Futuremark is playing politics with Nvidia here and nothing more. They are trying to teach them a lesson

i am really ty with this dumbass company

now that ATI has finally developed their own physx-type technology they should let nvidia/ati use and develop physics based performance through GPUs

common Futuremark do something right for a change
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    It's a mess for sure. I understand the reasoning behind disallowing PhysX support as it pertains to the CPU test especially if a single card is used. But this is a completely different situation. FutureMark should code Vantage so that the CPU test will not run if PhysX support is enabled or it runs as an unapproved score. One wouldn't think that would not be too difficult to implement.
    Well, I think that FM launched Vantage in April 2008, though first Nvidia drivers that allowed NV GFX cards to implement PhysX processing was in August 2008.
    I am pretty sure that a patch could make things work as you are suggesting..

Banned
    yeah thats piss poor policy to punish people for nvidias physics protocols. (sorry for alliteration there :P)

Xtreme Addict
    Why not just leave the Physics alone? It's there to boost performance. If they don;t wanna use it, then that's not representative of the performance of the card. Are they just looking for arbitrary numbers, or some kind of actual performance measure?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dread77 View Post
    Well, I think that FM launched Vantage in April 2008, though first Nvidia drivers that allowed NV GFX cards to implement PhysX processing was in August 2008.
    I am pretty sure that a patch could make things work as you are suggesting..
    Sure they could. I understood and fully supported the original decision to disallow PhysX. But this latest decision if true is the result of nothing more then laziness or a spat between them and nVidia.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
    Why not just leave the Physics alone? It's there to boost performance. If they don;t wanna use it, then that's not representative of the performance of the card. Are they just looking for arbitrary numbers, or some kind of actual performance measure?
    the point is that physics runs while there is no graphical load on the GPU and is classified as a CPU test

Admin
    Score one for the guy who's got a pair of 4870X2's but only two GTX 280's.

j/k

Considering Futuremark's actions over the past year or so, it's hard not to think that there is more than a little favoritism going on there...

Xtreme Member
    @ Praz... Man, most probably it's BOTH...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    the point is that physics runs while there is no graphical load on the GPU and is classified as a CPU test
    Man, I have been away too long. What has happened to this benchmark? If this is true they have completely destroyed it, and it has nothing to do with Physics, but an issue with their software.

nVidia obviously went with driver level coding to improve efficiency. It's not nVidia's or the user's fault if 3DM can't get their software to function correctly. Ain't no way I'm getting mixed up with these games they are playing. This is BAD news.

Man, this is worse than I thought. I'm gonna have to find a Graphical benchmark that works and can be validated. I could post others I have, but don't wanna be questioned "Is that real?". Dang man 3DM used to be THE benchmark to have and was #1 on my list. It's depressing now.
    Last edited by T_Flight; 12-04-2008 at 06:57 AM.

still cant even publish i7 3dmark03 runs, and at first people with i7 and nvidia cards couldn't publish scores either.

IMO someone should make a hall of fame here and just with a published orb link that is not using physics be put on the list lol forget futuremark

.48 drivers suck anyway, get the .60s off guru3d, uber fast drivers

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

¿
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    Considering Futuremark's actions over the past year or so, it's hard not to think that there is more than a little favoritism going on there...
    If FM chose to approve PhysX, other people would reach the same conclusion. They need to keep the numbers somewhat comparable, or risk an even bigger mess.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    The worst thing about all of this is that 3DVantage took 2 years to develop and it looks friggin awful...then they made us pay for it

ok...back on topic....aye, a mess. Either side could release a fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Regressive decision.
    IF ATI in today's date cant offer graphics + physics via driver (&/or hardware) support its their loss. Why should NV be made to restrict their out in open cards + driver which can handle both??

FM should be pushing the right things and not limiting it. If nothing then they should have a filter for 180.XX+ drivers.

Its pretty bad that Nvidia is being held back on superior technology because of features that work. We all know they should have come up with a patch months ago so this would not still be an issue.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Member
    they should allow physX as a second database of results.
    this is futuremarks problem, not nvidias.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    If it comes down to it....how much difference does FM make to nV (or ATI etc) perception and resulting sales? Who bases their hardware decisions on the HoF?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

I am Xtreme
    The problem is that as you add cpu cores, the test changes, but because of how it works, it doesn't when you run a VGA. They would have to re-work the test so that it was comparable with all vgas, as the workload would have to vary for every card that has more/less shaders...not only the graphical part of the test changes, but also the workload(as the numebr of planes and such varies already).

Of course, this could be patched, but it would then invalidate all previous scores, as the test would be significantly different.

Now, unfortuantely, nV is playing the same card here...Phys-X cards WILL NOT WORK in Vantage with ATI cards either, due to the nV gpu-phys-X drivers.

So, nV have made it so that only nV benefits from Phys-X. Why should futuremark support this? Why should they have to work to approve blatantly monopolistic policies?

Of course, noone mentions teh ATI side of Phys-X, because almost noone has a real Phys-X card. But I do, so I see the whole story everyone else does not.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
    The problem is that as you add cpu cores, the test changes, but because of how it works, it doesn't when you run a VGA. They would have to re-work the test so that it was comparable with all vgas, as the workload would have to vary for every card that has more/less shaders...not only the graphical part of the test changes, but also the workload(as the numebr of planes and such varies already).

Of course, this could be patched, but it would then invalidate all previous scores, as the test would be significantly different.

Now, unfortuantely, nV is playing the same card here...Phys-X cards WILL NOT WORK in Vantage with ATI cards either, due to the nV gpu-phys-X drivers.

So, nV have made it so that only nV benefits from Phys-X. Why should futuremark support this? Why should they have to work to approve blatantly monopolistic policies?

Of course, noone mentions teh ATI side of Phys-X, because almost noone has a real Phys-X card. But I do, so I see the whole story everyone else does not.
    How 'bout leaving the benchmark test as is, and allow ATi ( AMD ) to introduce and use their GPU PhysX ?
    Oh wait... there's something missing...
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    Its pretty bad that Nvidia is being held back on superior technology because of features that work. We all know they should have come up with a patch months ago so this would not still be an issue.
    what do u mean superior technology, i didnt know that buying some1 and then not licensing the hardware support was superior, they bought the guy that ported it and now there is nothing for the openCL platform. and its not like physX is enven usefull out side of vantage

also havoc is a much better engine and its more portable, physX is a joke in comparison and should have died a long time ago, even the fluid dynamics physics is better
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    How 'bout leaving the benchmark test as is, and allow ATi ( AMD ) to introduce and use their GPU PhysX ?
    Oh wait... there's something missing...
    Why can't nVidia get teh original Phys-Xcards to work with ATi cards? Why have they removed this functionality? Futuremark might be a bit more willing to work something out had nVidia not limited Phys-X to thier gpus only...

I mean, I think gpu phys-X is great, I would LOVE to see it legal, but at the same time I cannot agree with supporting something that might potentially be illegal...nV using thier monoply on Phys-X to influence the gpu market...

EVGA Enthusiast
    There is already alot of work being done on this, 180.48 will be approved really soon.
    Last edited by JacobF; 12-04-2008 at 06:44 PM.
    . ss phase . nf11fx compressor . chilly1 evap . r507 . chilly1 condenser . freezepack controller .
    965xe 4.63ghz || evga x58 classified || 2x evga gtx 295 || 6gb g.skill 1.6ghz cl8 || corsair ssd x64 || tt 1.2kw w/ 12 awg || win7 x64

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast