Thread: Barebones external cooling unit (draft)

Xtreme Addict

Barebones external cooling unit (draft)

This an idea that I've been toying with for some time... I made up a rough drawing tonight just to get some feedback from everyone. Please read the notes before commenting on the drawing.

Some external coolers I've seen have a rather large footprint compared to their cooling ability. I wanted to make up something that could easily sit next to a monitor on a desk without looking horrid or taking up too much space. I also wanted the noise from the fans isolated to the back of the unit as much as possible, so no front intake holes.

This will be sold as a barebones external cooler so users may install the components of their choice, or possibly as a pre-assembled unit for an additional charge.

Notes:

-This drawing is not complete. Certain components/features are not pictured.

-The seperate component panels will be laser cut from .080" mild steel, TIG welded into a single unibody, and then finished in gloss black powdercoat. There will be soft rubber feet on the chassis bottom for vibration reduction and surface protection.

-The top panel will unscrew allowing access to slide-out removable SS screen filters and the fillport for the res (screws into oval hole in front panel with acrylic window).

-The barebone unit will not have a radiator specific cutout, rather it will have universal holes for MCR320, Feser 360, 360GTX, PA120.3. It is designed to support up to a standard thickness rad in push/pull with 25mm fans, or a PA series with single 38mm fans.

-Vibration dampened mounts will be provided for both DDC and D5 pumps.

Questions:

-The side louvres were just for fun... should I stick with them or go to a more simple "stealth grille" styled hole pattern on side intakes?

-Should I keep the viewport res in the front? Would it look better round? How about switchable LED illumination?

-What would you prefer, the slide out stainless screen intake filters, or a lower cost unit with no filters?

-Should the front and back be slanted with the sides parallel instead (basically the opposite of the drawing)?

Any suggestions/observations/grinchiness welcome.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EXT_COOLER.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	89026  
    Last edited by iandh; 11-14-2008 at 08:21 PM.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Banned
    LOL the KISS principle is what will aid you. A simple grill on the sides will greatly reduce costs and that is probably the greatest obstacle if you do decide to go with this. Go without filters. People can buy them if the need them from anywhere. I say rad at the front because that's the wow part.

Cool first designs, looking forward to any improvements.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
    LOL the KISS principle is what will aid you. A simple grill on the sides will greatly reduce costs and that is probably the greatest obstacle if you do decide to go with this. Go without filters. People can buy them if the need them from anywhere. I say rad at the front because that's the wow part.

Cool first designs, looking forward to any improvements.
    That's what I was thinking on the sides... I'd have to weld each louvre on by hand.

As far as the rad on the front, one of the main goals of this design was to isolate the fan noise to the back of the unit... it is very hard to silence a rad when it is staring you in the face.

Also it hides the universal mounting holes in the back.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Banned
    Ahh good points. I guess having the res on the front will make it clear when you need to top it up.