Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shanghai @2,7 to buldozer anything in virtualization

Xtreme Addict

Shanghai @2,7 to buldozer anything in virtualization

Shangai @ 2,7 ghz VMmark scores are out, kills any living Intel system out there.

shangai @2,7ghz 2p 8core score : 11,22
    http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmma...11-12-R805.pdf

harpertown @ 3,33ghz 2p 8core score : 9,15
    http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmma...0-09-ML370.pdf

shangai @2,7ghz 4p 16core score : 20,35
    http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmma...11-12-R905.pdf

tigertown @2,93 4p 16cores score: 14,14
    http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmmark/vmmark_hp5.pdf

Dunnington @2,66 4p 24cores score 19,10
    http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmmark/vmmark_ibm4.pdf

fools @ intel, why start with a market leading desktop platform why you know you get killed in the server part. It will take 5-6 months to get back in 2p and 9-10 months in 4p and higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Member
    You could say the reverse about AMD... from server to desktop

Xtreme Addict
    Well, Intel can shun Virtualization, Cloud Computing, and Netbo-oops.

Meh, regardless of how the competition performs, Shanghai is extremely solid as a drop in upgrade or even a new purchase to extend F farms.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

just wait for the intel parts without FB ram the i7 will take all the performance crowns back this month for 1/2/4P, but this is a huge improvement if the am2+ or am3 dose 3.6GHZ i might get one
    Last edited by zanzabar; 11-13-2008 at 02:44 AM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    just wait for the intel parts without FB ram the i7 will take all the performance crowns back this month for 1/2/4P, but this is a huge improvement if the am2+ or am3 dose 3.6GHZ i might get one
    4P Nehalem (Beckton) is not going to be out until H2 or even late 2009.

And it uses... OH SNAP, FB-DDR3.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Member
    Have to agree with Duploxx here... Shanghai platform is the clear choice if virtualization were your thing

Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    4P Nehalem (Beckton) is not going to be out until H2 or even late 2009.

And it uses... OH SNAP, FB-DDR3.
    i had read tri channel ECCddr3 with a raid 5 like option, and IBM had said to be sampling them to data centers in q4
    Last edited by zanzabar; 11-13-2008 at 03:40 AM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    With FB-DIMMs you can mix DDR2 and DDR3. The memory controller only see´s the AMB chip.

And I think you refer to DDDC. Double device data correction. So you can actually have 2 DIMM failures instead of 1. And ofcourse the usual hotplug memory etc.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by donitsi View Post
    The moneys in server-side sales these days.

Xtreme Mentor
    I don't think it really matters which way the release goes, it depends on where in the validation process the respective product goes. In 2006, Intel launched Woodcrest first (server) then Desktop, for Barcelona AMD launched Desktop first then (server).... yada yada.

The launch sequence is dependent upon many things.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    I don't think it really matters which way the release goes, it depends on where in the validation process the respective product goes. In 2006, Intel launched Woodcrest first (server) then Desktop, for Barcelona AMD launched Desktop first then (server).... yada yada.

What do you think?
    Is HT that critical or does Intel simply take more time for validation of a new platform to be on the safe side? Or does it also depend on yields, inventories, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    the idiots out number us 10,000:1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
    What do you think?
    Is HT that critical or does Intel simply take more time for validation of a new platform to be on the safe side? Or does it also depend on yields, inventories, etc?
    shanghai is easy to validate, just put a nonproven cpu on a proven platform, the cpu is just a K10 with some enhancements
    with nehalem you have to validate an entire new architecture, on an entire new platform, more difficult

Xtreme Addict

intel woodcrest was indeed launched before conroe, but conroe was available in volume before woodcrest

sure about those amd parts?

barcelona launch sept 07
    agena launch nov 07
    Last edited by duploxxx; 11-13-2008 at 07:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Member

I wasn't talking about release orders.

I meant that for example original opterons and athlon 64's were the same processor... They designed it to be server proc and with minor modifications made the desktop proc
    Likewise current phenoms are based on server architecture

It simplifies things but I would like to see complitely different architectures for server and dekstop

So Duploxxx first said that Core2 was based on desktop design and then with modifications they made the server version.
    That's why countered it with my post

Xtreme Addict
    I wasn't talking about release orders.

I meant that for example original opterons and athlon 64's were the same processor... They designed it to be server proc and with minor modifications made the desktop proc
    Likewise current phenoms are based on server architecture

It simplifies things but I would like to see complitely different architectures for server and dekstop

So Duploxxx first said that Core2 was based on Laptop/notebook design and then with modifications they made the server version.
    That's why countered it with my post
    It needed a small correction.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Member
    Heh, that will do

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by duploxxx View Post
    intel woodcrest was indeed launched before conroe, but conroe was available in volume before woodcrest

sure about those amd parts?

barcelona launch sept 07
    agena launch nov 07
    Barcelona did not appear to system vendors until Q2 08 ... AMD indeed typically launches into server first, but the Barcelona launch is an illustration as to why DT will precede server as necessary.

Server requires much more rigorous validation due to the mission cirtical nature of the product. DT users can live with a lockup or two over time, they will simply curse MS for a cruddy OS ... enterprise solutions, lockups (downtime) means money ... so server has to be cut to a much higher standard.

Technically, Barcelona launched in Sept. true, but the TLB errata pulled it back for the very reason I mention above. Agena, the TLB errata is no issue for DT, for server it is not.
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
    What do you think?
    See me response to Duploxx above as one line of logic, but if I were simply thinking this through...

- Yield: yes, this is important, and if initial yield or ramp is low in volume you maximize the revenue by launching into low volume/high margin markets first (that way you don't leave customers wanting).

- Competitive pressure: fight the fights you can win, Shanghai will improve the areas where Barcelona is already competitive and close the gap or take a lead in areas that it doesn't.

- Time to Market - AMD has a window of opportunity to maximize market penetration with server since they are not facing Nehalem derivatives in server just yet. This is AMD's marketing/PR claims anyway.

Many factors come to mind.

Jack

Was there any reason to start yet another "fanboy-war"?

@fragmaster, what exactly was the point of your post? Sorry, I didn't get it, maybe you can explain

Xtreme Member
    I know this sounds stupid, but what does it mean by "virtualization"?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingArrow View Post
    I know this sounds stupid, but what does it mean by "virtualization"?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualization

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post

So is "virtualization" the same thing as "benching"?

Xtreme Addict
    AMD could be on to a winner with shanghai and virtualization, Cloud computing could be the future and could have some big backers like google and yahoo

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingArrow View Post
    So is "virtualization" the same thing as "benching"?
    Can be used to measure performance in virtualization tasks. Basically it means that single computer can run (multiple) e.g. "4 computers(from software viewpoint) inside it".

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    Can be used to measure performance in virtualization tasks. Basically it means that single computer can run (multiple) e.g. "4 computers(from software viewpoint) inside it".
    lol oh man...i feel stupid. I'm a biology major, study philosophy and science, but that sentence confuses me.

So, virtulization tasks means testing the performance of a computer, based on how many 'virtual' computers the single computer can simulate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast