Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD Dodeca-core

Xtreme Cruncher

AMD Dodeca-core

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11531

"Shanghai! Shanghai!" the reporters cry during the AMD's financial analyst day today. Despite the fact that the company will lay off nearly 5% of its work force this week, followed by another 5% next month, most employees interviewed by DailyTech continue to convey an optimistic outlook.

The next major milestone for the CPU engineers comes late this year, with the debut of 45nm Shanghai. Shanghai, for all intents and purposes, is nearly identical to the B3 stepping of Socket 1207 Opteron (Barcelona) shipping today. However, where as Barcelona had its HyperTransport 3.0 clock generator fused off, Shanghai will once again attempt to get HT3.0 right.

Original roadmaps anticipated that HT3.0 would be used for socket-to-socket communication, but also for communication to the Southbridge controllers. Motherboard manufacturers have confirmed that this is no longer the case, and that HT3.0 will only be used for inter-CPU communication.

"Don't be disappointed, AMD is making up for it," hints one engineer. Further conversations revealed that inter-CPU communication is going to be a big deal with the 45nm refresh. The first breadcrumb comes with a new "native six-core" Shanghai derivative, currently codenamed Istanbul. This processor is clearly targeted at Intel's recently announced six-core, 45nm Dunnington processor.

But sextuple-core processors have been done, or at least we'll see the first ones this year. The real neat stuff comes a few months after, where AMD will finally ditch the "native-core" rhetoric. Two separate reports sent to DailyTech from AMD partners indicate that Shanghai and its derivatives will also get twin-die per package treatment.

AMD planned twin-die configurations as far back as the K8 architecture, though abandoned those efforts. The company never explained why those processors were nixed, but just weeks later "native quad-core" became a major marketing campaign for the AMD in anticipation of Barcelona.

A twin-die Istanbul processor could enable 12 cores in a single package. Each of these cores will communicate to each other via the now-enabled HT3.0 interconnect on the processor.

The rabbit hole gets deeper. Since each of these processors will contain a dual-channel memory controller, a single-core can emulate quad-channel memory functions by accessing the other dual-channel memory controller on the same socket. This move is likely a preemptive strike against Intel's Nehalem tri-channel memory controller.

Motherboard manufacturers claim Shanghai and its many-core derivatives will be backwards compatible with existing Socket 1207 motherboards. However, processor-to-processor communication will downgrade to lower HyperTransport frequencies on these older motherboards. The newest 1207+ motherboards will officially support the HyperTransport 3.0 frequencies.

Shanghai is currently taped out and running Windows at AMD.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Good. I want to see Shanghai shipping, so AMD really does get in better shape. Thanks.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Addict
    intel is gonna have how much then? 12 virtual cores, 6 real cores?
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Cruncher
    Bla, bla, bla. It seems that anything AMD pumps out is crap these days.
    I'll believe it when I see it. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] 2long4u View Post
    All I see are two AT-ATs humping...
    Heatware, Ebay, Facebook
    Current Laptop:
    Cyber Power PC
    Xplorer X1M
    Intel Core i7 3610qm
    8GB DDR3 1333
    240GB OCZ Agility
    Nvidia Geforce GT650m 2GB GDDR5
    1TB Toshiba external portable drive

Backup Laptop:
    Asus G60JX
    Intel Core i7 720qm
    8GB DDR3 1333
    256GB ADATA
    Nvidia Geforce GTS 360m 1GB GDDR5
    640GB Western Digital external portable drive

Back from the Dead
    I wouldn't say no to a decent 6-core or even 12-core CPU though.. since Intels 6-core will be useless, being S603 (?).
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Quote Originally Posted by squilliam View Post
    All I see are two AT-ATs humping...
    Win.

Anyways.... How about those guys at intel? Native 8 cores, with 16 threads huh? hmmm tasty.
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Xtreme Mentor
    I'd like to be optimistic and say AMD will be successful with Shanghai, but the reality is, that when Shanghai is released, Intel will have Nehalem, which will be pretty much the death blow.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Addict
    AMD doesn't need more cores right now, they need better cores... If these are going to be identical to B3 Barcelonas, the 45nm shrink doesn't seem to be helping too much.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    I'd like to be optimistic and say AMD will be successful with Shanghai, but the reality is, that when Shanghai is released, Intel will have Nehalem, which will be pretty much the death blow.
    I don't see how exactly that could even remotely be possible.
    Also, let us just assume for a second Intel Wins and AMD is gone...
    Then we will all be seriously ed, then Intel would stop funding their R&D departments as heavily and just soak up as much profit as the market could bare. Which effectively means Windows and most of our games will stagnate on a platform that virtually stopped advancing
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

I am Xtreme
    Whoa - bitter much?

I'll tell you about bitter. I've had AMD stock since 2001. I kept buying it as the market collapsed. When it finally got up to around $14 several months ago, I should have sold. But I believed - I BELIEVED. Now I've watched it surf the swirly waters down to $6 and less. That's bitter.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    I don't see how exactly that could even remotely be possible.
    Also, let us just assume for a second Intel Wins and AMD is gone...
    Then we will all be seriously ed, then Intel would stop funding their R&D departments as heavily and just soak up as much profit as the market could bare. Which effectively means Windows and most of our games will stagnate on a platform that virtually stopped advancing
    AMD won't be dead, but Nehalem will be pushed aggressively by Intel, which could make it hard for AMD to grab market share.
    AMD could spring a surprise with Shanghai. Who knows? The only thing you can do is make a somewhat educated guess.
    And Intel won't allow AMD to die. AMD dead would mean bad happenings to Intel courtesy of the FTC and DOJ.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    AMD won't be dead, but Nehalem will be pushed aggressively by Intel, which could make it hard for AMD to grab market share.
    AMD could spring a surprise with Shanghai. Who knows? The only thing you can do is make a somewhat educated guess.
    And Intel won't allow AMD to die. AMD dead would mean bad happenings to Intel courtesy of the FTC and DOJ.
    AMD doesn't need superior performance to grab market share, it just needs a cost competitive product and guess what they do.
    Heck soon we will have sub $100 Quad cores, combined with $60 mobos with the 780G chipset, make killer budget boxes
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    Whoa - bitter much?

I'll tell you about bitter. I've had AMD stock since 2001. I kept buying it as the market collapsed. When it finally got up to around $14 several months ago, I should have sold. But I believed - I BELIEVED. Now I've watched it surf the swirly waters down to $6 and less. That's bitter.
    Ouch.
    I believed in AMD at one point also. I don't really like mainstream anything.
    The music I listen to isn't mainstream, the vehicles I drive arn't mainstream, and the processor I used to run wasn't mainstream. It bothers me there is a quad core in my rig right now, but it is better then anything AMD has to offer.
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    AMD doesn't need superior performance to grab market share, it just needs a cost competitive product and guess what they do.
    Heck soon we will have sub $100 Quad cores, combined with $60 mobos with the 780G chipset, make killer budget boxes
    Yes, but does it blend? er, Fold.
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would buy AMD stock if I could afford to. Can't get much lower before it goes up.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

YouTube Addict
    Yes, but does it blend? er, Fold.
    yes, in fact not only the CPU does folding, you can get the Integrated graphics to fold as well

Xtreme Cruncher
    yes, in fact not only the CPU does folding, you can get the Integrated graphics to fold as well
    Probably still won't have as many PPD as my quad!
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    But if AMD doesn't get the performance crown, it will have so much to loose from the user "hype". Its a free advertisement for them that way.

Rig Specs
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 4.0ghz 1.37v - DFI Lanparty UT P35 TR2 - 4x1GB Team Xtreem DDR2-1066 - Palit 8800GT Sonic 512MB GDDR3 256-bit
    160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA II 8MB Cache - 320GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - Liteon 18X DVD-Writer /w LS
    640GB Western Digital SE16 7200RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - Corsair HX 620W Modular PSU - Cooler Master Stacker 832
    Auzen 7.1 X-Plosion - Zalman ZM-DS4F - Sennheiser HD212 Pro - Edifier M2600

Custom Water Cooling
    Dtek Fusion Extreme CPU Block - Swiftech MCR-220 - Swiftech MCP655-B - Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Reservior - 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD Tubings
    Dual Thermaltake A2018s 120mm Blue LED Smart fans.

www.mni-photography.site88.net

Xtreme Enthusiast
    12 cores huh...
    that 4 to play with and 8 for F@H
    cpu- Intel I7 3930K
    Asus P9x79 Deluxe
    2x HD7970
    32gb ddr3-1600
    corsair ax1200
    Corsair 800D
    Corsair H100 lapped
    2x 128gb M4 raid 0

Xtreme Addict
    I've been telling people I know to buy some stock in AMD. I'm almost tempted to just buy 10 shares, just to see how it'll end up.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

I am Xtreme
    AMD doesn't need superior performance to grab market share, it just needs a cost competitive product and guess what they do.Heck soon we will have sub $100 Quad cores, combined with $60 mobos with the 780G chipset, make killer budget boxes
    QFT but remember me being flamed for saying the same thing? I don't see AMD failing at all. Wayyyyyyy too many and too important folks have too much money tied up in them for that to happen. Considering all of the debt they have that's being paid back, they've done a lot better than the 611 million they lost when they were paying back smaller loans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Everyone's saying that "nehalem will be such 1337 h4x, AMD is n00bzor"

Well, let's look back when Intel thought they'd be having 10 GHz Pentium 4's eh? We all know that didn't work out. Athlon 64 *crushed* anything Intel could offer. I for one want to see it happen again.
    Thermaltake Armor Series Black
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
    Q6600 3.6 GHZ Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
    4 GB Corsair XMS2 w/ OCZ XTX Ram Cooler 2 x 60mm
    9800GT 512MB
    18X Pioneer DVD-RW Burner
    720 Watt Enermax Infiniti
    4x640GB RAID 10
    Windows 7

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Swatrecon_ View Post

Well, let's look back when Intel thought they'd be having 10 GHz Pentium 4's eh? We all know that didn't work out. Athlon 64 *crushed* anything Intel could offer. I for one want to see it happen again.
    Well, now Intel has the aggressive "tick-tock" strategy, that is almost impossible to up

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Swatrecon_ View Post

You have one poster talking about Intel fanboys cheering AMD's pain, I've not seen it that. But wishing pain on Intel is OK? Note, both Intel and AMD have had their share of Champs and Chumps. A64 NEVER crushed Intel LOL! X2 was the only real superior product accross-the-board like Conroe/Penryn currently enjoys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast