Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OC Report - Cellshock DDR3 1866 BLUE D9JNL

silver wall jumper X

OC Report - Cellshock DDR3 1866 BLUE D9JNL

Work in progress - just rerunning everythig with 7/7/7/14....pics coming very soon

OC Report: Cellshock DDR3 1866 BLUE D9JNL

I have spend some quality time with a very nice set of Cellshock's newest line of DDR3 and was amazed to find out what nicely binned and matched Micron D9JNL can do. Unlike the Micron D9GTR which is scaling extremely well with Vdimm , the D9JNL chips are really shining at low Vdimm by outperforming the D9GTR chips at equal voltages. The Micron D9JNL chips, which most benchers consider to be inferior, are actually needing 0.1V - 0.2V less for equal clocks.

The Memory:

Part number : CS3222770
    Capacity: 2GB-Kit (2x 1GB)
    Configuration: 128Mx64 DRAM Micron Device
    Config: 128Mx8 PCB 240pin
    Module Info: unbuff. non-ECC, DDR3 DIMM
    Speed: PC15000
    CAS Latency: 8-8-8-16
    VDIMM: 1,7V-2,0V
    Warranty: 5years

The test setup:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3110 – air cooled
    Mobo: Asus Maximus Extreme – Bios 9.05 - NB water cooled
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W
    GPU: NVidia 9600GT / 9800GX2
    HDD: Gigabyte I-Ram

The Windows XP installation is 100% bone stock without any tweaks, with the exception of having Large System Cache enabled for 32m runs.
    The testing was done with the mindset for stability for Super Pi as well as 3D- and PC-Marks and NOT for max results ( for now...)

Super Pi Results:

Single Super Pi 1M CAS7 1T clocks:

VDIMM: 2.08V = 2033mhz

cpu limited (air...) I think -

Single Super Pi 1M CAS8 2T clocks:

VDIMM: 2.06V = 2250mhz

on P5E3 Premium

Single Super Pi 32M CAS7 1T clocks:

VDIMM: 1.80V = 1775mhz

VDIMM: 1.84V = 1810mhz

VDIMM: 1.90V = 1870mhz

VDIMM: 1.94V = 1910mhz

VDIMM: 2.00V = 1940mhz

VDIMM: 2.06V = 1998mhz

VDIMM: 2.08V = 2004mhz

Secondary timings are often not tweaked to perfection – often these are too loose. For example tRFC could probably have been tigher at lower mhz - and really needed lossening up at high mhz
    crappy vid of running 1992 2.06v @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVqnxPJuKh0

Single SuperPi32M CAS 8 1T clocks:

VDIMM: 1.90V = 2080mhz

My Asus Maximus Extreme unfortunately appears to not be able to go past 2080 – I have had this problem with many different sets of memory.

Single SuperPi32M CAS 6 1T clocks:

VDIMM: 1.80V =
    VDIMM: 1.84V =
    VDIMM: 1.90V =
    VDIMM: 1.94V = 1680mhz
    VDIMM: 2.00V =
    VDIMM: 2.06V = 1750mhz
    VDIMM: 2.08V =

I have to revisit all my CAS6 results and post them later.[/INDENT]

Memory Bandwidth Results:

Everest Mem Read :2000mhz 7/7/7/14 @ 2.06V

Everest Mem Write: 2000mhz 7/7/7/14 @ 2.06V

Everest Copy: 2000mhz 7/7/7/14 @ 2.06V

Everest Latency: 2000mhz 7/7/7/14 @ 2.06V

3DMark Results:

3Dmark05

VDimm = 2.1V 7/7/7/14 1T @ 2000mhz

Asus P5E3 Prem. / 9800GTX all default settings
    PC Mark Results:

PCMark05 memory suite

VDimm = 2.1V 7/7/7/14 1T @ 2000mhz

Asus P5E3 Prem. / 9800GTX all default settings

NOTES:

-Actual Vdimm was about 0.01V higher than set in BIOS – all above Vdimms are BIOS set ( so +0.01V for real value )

-This set of Cellshock DDR3 scales very well until 2.07V but at 2.11V it errors out hard to and refuses to boot had high clockspeeds.

-The max CAS7 clocks were done with 2.09V , but in memtest already a lot more errors were showing than when running 2.07V.

-This set does not like different CAS and tRCD timings, which I believe is common for this type of micron chips – hence the 7/7, 6/6, 8/8 timings used.

-Unfortunately CAS 6 results suffer a bit compared to D9GTR equipped memory, due to D9JNL's problem with handling higher voltages, which are needed for great CAS6 results.

-The Microns D9JNL allow running very tight Tras - 7/7/7/12 timings are possible to be run at almost the max clocks ( with between 4-16mhz hit in max frequencies compared to Tras 21), Tras 14 appear to be quickest for SuperPi 32m, Tras 12 is about 10 seconds slower compared to Tras14; Tras21 is about even with Tras 14

Cellshock DDR3 1866 compatibilty:

I have tested the Cellshocks on three different boards – the Asus P5E3 Premium ( X48), the Asus Maximus Extreme (X38) and on the EVGA 790I board. On all boards the memory ran without a hitch – but the X48 board really made this memory shine. Unfortunately I lost the board at the beginning of the testing due to extreme NB degradation and am not able to run with this board past 450FSB at this point.
    I had pushed too much VNB; 1.89-1.91V on the P5E3 Prem. (with a very brief stunt of 1.97V to see if helps when things started going bad...to make things really really worse ...lol), while air cooling... ouch !
    The Maximus now is on water cooling – which helps out greatly!

Memory Clocks were about 5-20mhz higher on the P5E3 Prem. vs. the Asus Maximus Extreme.
    The X48 also allowed me to run 7/7/6 with tighter secondary timings, whereas the X38 board did not appear to like these primary timings at all.

The 790i is a decent performer, but the Intel chipsets are a bit better in terms of memory performance. Max mem clocks were also bit lesser for me on the EVGA 790i compared to the X38/X48 boards. I did not spend too much time on the 790i since massive OS corruption problems on this board ( Rev C0...hint) took all the joy out of memory clocking. With more tweaking I assume similar max memory clocks might be achievable.

Final thoughts

Compared to what Vdimm is necessary to match such clocks with older D9GTR Micron based memory, this trend is certainly a step forward for the real world user. Only for benching FSB limited Quad Core CPUs it could be preferable to have D9GTR based memory, where good sets can allow you to bench in the 1800+ region with CAS 6 timings. Something I still would love to also have in my arsenal.

All in all I really love this Cellshock set, it is a match made in heaven for a 24/7 high performance rig. The speeds that are obtainable with low voltages make them truly perfect for a insane gaming rig and/or bench systems which are running at the max all the time. Being able to run 1900mhz CAS 7 for my daily settings is more then I hoped for, especially without having to worry about potentially degrading the memory.

Mike
    Last edited by mike; 04-25-2008 at 02:26 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Great job Mike!

Only thing, this memory is
    Part number : CS3222770
    Capacity: 2GB-Kit (2x 1GB)
    Configuration: 128Mx64 DRAM Micron Device
    Config: 128Mx8 PCB 240pin
    Module Info: unbuff. non-ECC, DDR3 DIMM
    Speed: PC15000
    CAS Latency: 8-8-8-16
    VDIMM: 1,7V-2,0V
    Warranty: 5years
    If its 1866MHz Blue kit.
    Last edited by Kasparz; 04-17-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice man

I LOVE this memory...so fast and beautifull...

xtreme energy
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeguava View Post
    This set does not like different CAS and tRCD timings, which I believe is common for this type of micron chips – hence the 7/7, 6/6, 8/8 timings used.

Unfortunately CAS 6 results suffer a bit compared to D9GTR equipped memory, due to D9JNL's problem with handling higher voltages, which are needed for great CAS6 results.

Yep, that's the problem with JNLs. They don't like too much volts and they can't run tight timings. Other that that they are nice, certainly better than other chip makers

Xtreme Member
    I have to agree that it is beautiful. Tell me where I can get 4 gigs

silver wall jumper X
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasparz View Post
    Great job Mike!

Only thing, this memory is

If its 1866MHz Blue kit.
    edited thanks - I got it off the cellshock website - and guessed some of it the values - thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Yep, that's the problem with JNLs. They don't like too much volts and they can't run tight timings. Other that that they are nice, certainly better than other chip makers
    I know what you mean - but actually the perfromance hit appears to be minor. 24/7 performance is really what amazes me here, and you'll blow GTR away with this type of Micron chip at equal vdimm.

But I am also still hunting for some 6/5/5 godness. Unfortunately my Corsair Dominators 14400 C7 got damaged in shipping - and now I have no more voltage loving DDR3 - at least none that is running
    Last edited by mike; 04-17-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Where is possible to find this kit? Not even in tankguys..

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeguava View Post
    But I am also still hunting for some 6/5/5 godness.
    I have a "feeling" telling me "those JNL will do a lot better at 6-6-5-18 than 6-5-5-18

Quote Originally Posted by OCFX View Post
    It's relatively ( almost brand ) new, so it shall take some time.
    Ask Sascha ( Saaya ), he might have some info on that matter

silver wall jumper X
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    I have a "feeling" telling me "those JNL will do a lot better at 6-6-5-18 than 6-5-5-18

It's relatively ( almost brand ) new, so it shall take some time.
    Ask Sascha ( Saaya ), he might have some info on that matter

on the X48 I managed 6/6/5, on the X38 6/6/6 seemed the way to go - but I am looking to find some 6/5 godness in form of a GTR kit

Yes Saaya should have the info OCFX - got mine thru him

The Blue Dolphin
    Thanks for this nice little test Mike

How do these fair when tested separately?
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    This are great memory, sayaa told me to try 6-6-6- or 7-7-7- or 8-8-8- not other timings as they respond better this way.

Now Mike get a X48 P5E3 Deluxe is awsome, i'm limited by my CPU to 2100MHz i can do that 1.9v 8-8-8-18-2T but more is a no go.

Admin
    Those are some kickass clocks for <2.1v!! What'd I tell ya about wc'ing the nb?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by OCFX View Post
    memoryc.com has them in stock, they ship worldwide link

Xtreme Member
    That are awesome Cellshocks!
    Can reach 1000Mhz CL7 nearly at stock voltage and look very nice with that blue heatspreaders.
    The Initial value finished
    PI calculation is done!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Software tweaks are not for sale.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    nice thread mike!
    im really amazed you managed to get that mem running stable at 2ghz cas7
    i dont know if this kit is clocking better than average... i never tested any kits at 2ghz cas7, so i dont know how many kits can do this.
    Looking forward to seeing more results from other guys
    What surprised me even more is that you got it stable at higher speeds on an x48 than on a 790 board or did i get that wrong?

well 665 didnt work for me, only 666. the only below jedec spec timings that worked for me was 776, all other timing combinations didnt really bring a clockspeed boost. D9JNL loves tight tras tho, in my testing 2 or more clocks tighter than D9GTR

and yes, the kit is brand new, more and more shops should have it now
    Last edited by saaya; 04-18-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Impressive kit you got there Mike! And a good review\Oc Report

@ Saaya This thread just won me over to the blue sida! So I won´t be bugging you any more over mail
    AMD
    955BE, 720BE & Athlon II 250
    Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P F5 Bios
    Crucial Value 2*1Gb D9 JNM
    XFX 4770
    Seventeam 650w

Xtreme Member
    I have take it today and now testing with my P5k3 dlx
    1800 cas 7-7-7-21 T1 1,95 volt work well play crysis
    My Computer: CPU Intel i7 920@4 ghz 1.35 volt. MAINBOARD Asus P6t dlx. RAM CSX 2000. VIDEOCARD EVGA GTX 295 . H.DISK 2 x WD VelociRaptor 74 GB @ Win XP SP3 . POWER Zalmann 1000 Watt. CASE LIAN-Li A70 . INTEGRATED WATERCOOLING CPU Couplex + Rad V3 + MP655 + Vaschetta dual 5,25 . SK VIDEO EK + Rad V2 + MP655 + vaschetta 5,25

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    well 665 didnt work for me, only 666
    Speak of the devil

Sascha check some kits for 7-7-7-x @ DDR3-2000.
    I have a feeling that you'll find lots of them being stable at this freq/timings.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by lukas69 View Post
    I have take it today and now testing with my P5k3 dlx
    1800 cas 7-7-7-21 T1 1,95 volt work well play crysis
    only? ah, thats a 1800 kit not an 1866 kit you have there right?

Speak of the devil

Sascha check some kits for 7-7-7-x @ DDR3-2000.
    I have a feeling that you'll find lots of them being stable at this freq/timings.
    hmmm idk man... i guess the boards here must be limiting me... every kit i test runs a lot faster on the system of whoever i send it to
    then again, i dont tweak the kits, i dont have time to find the sweet spots for every kit, i just need to seperate the great from the good kits, for that the boards still seem to work well, but i guess at higher speeds they hold me back... how much did you gain from modding your p5k dlx boards? think i should give it a try?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    then again, i dont tweak the kits, i dont have time to find the sweet spots for every kit, i just need to seperate the great from the good kits
    Hmm that statement and a few prior (on other threads) to the same intent held me back on trying out these new blue modules, in fear of receiving only a "good" kit, as all the "great" ones are distributed to the reviewers and PRs...
    Would hate to receive a pair that was only "average" compared to my four 1800 CellShock modules and a farcry from the performance of those cherry picked samples.

Was refreshing MemoryC site for it to start selling them for the past 2 weeks... oh well..

Anyone has a retail kit to try out?

nothing personal by the way, just disappointed.
    Last edited by eternal_fantasy; 04-19-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added the last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    its good to see some people finally recognizing that ram doesnt need huge voltages. if it OC's well... who cares how little voltage it responds to?

I certainly dont want to run 2.3 volts into my ram to hit 2100 mhz stable, if I can do it at 1.9 volts.

(thats a hypothetical comparison - just saying)

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    Hmm that statement and a few prior (on other threads) to the same intent held me back on trying out these new blue modules, in fear of receiving only a "good" kit, as all the "great" ones are distributed to the reviewers and PRs...
    Would hate to receive a pair that was only "average" compared to my four 1800 CellShock modules and a farcry from the performance of those cherry picked samples.

Was refreshing MemoryC site for it to start selling them for the past 2 weeks... oh well..

Normally manuf' dont do that... I dont think Cellshock does neither, but ofcause i dont know...
    Think its safe, atleast when using same chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak View Post
    its good to see some people finally recognizing that ram doesnt need huge voltages. if it OC's well... who cares how little voltage it responds to?

I certainly dont want to run 2.3 volts into my ram to hit 2100 mhz stable, if I can do it at 1.9 volts.

(thats a hypothetical comparison - just saying)
    Yada yada yada... Its the chips.. GTR is vdimm hungry, GTS a little less.. JNL / JNM (same just 78 ball), they need alot less vdimm...
    - But apart from the electricity bill, who cares..? : - )
    And if one wants low voltage ram, micron isnt the better choice... You've seen the 900mhz (DDR3-1800) at 1.5v, right? Retail specs...
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    how much did you gain from modding your p5k dlx boards? think i should give it a try?
    Hey Sascha,

Increasing the Vmch over the max in BIOS 1.7V gave me the following:
    1) I could run a lower performance level than my previous best at the given FSB freq + DRAM Divider

2) Helped me gain stability in high frequencies ( past DDR3-2000 )

3) Helped my FSB overclocks on some CPUs...just a bit, nothing outrageous.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post

Maybe You misunderstood saaya - I think what he calls "only" a good kit will be labeled to 1800 and the "great ones" to 1866.

Might be the same procedure as done by labeling a chip - i.e. an 8200, 8400 and 8500 comes from the same production line, after testing the "great ones" will be labeled to 8500.
    If nothing works nomore......:

Xtreme Addict
    1800MHz is D9GTR, 1866MHz is D9JNL.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast