Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MARS really is quite a sweet board now bios is mature

the jedi master

MARS really is quite a sweet board now bios is mature

not promoting anything here, just telling it like it is. Im testing 8Gb on MANY boards and quite a few need bios fixes etc
    Decided to try our quad 2GB 6400Plat kit at rated timings on the MARS and was gifted totally stable with 1.8V...some of the recent boards I have been testing won't even boot 8GB and here is one running it at 1.8V.

Im dead surprised this board is hardly mentioned here, it has to be up there with the IP35 and DFI LP35 for me,easy to setup and does exactly as it should do.

Drop a 3870X2 in this board with vista 64 and you really can not beat it, even a forthcoming 9800 would make it killer
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    Foxconn and Shamino are really pushing this stuff in the right direction.
    my guess why its not mentioned here too much, is that Foxconn needs to build thier name up, just like OCZ did a few years ago. I remember when OCZ and Crucial were companies you avoided, and no one even heard of DFI and Soyo and Epox was the brand to watch.

Foxconn is moving in the right directions for sure, but they just dont have the momentum just yet.
    only a small few in the know, will experience how good these boards really are.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Addict
    I'm running an e8400 @ 4ghz (9 x 450) on a Mars board and it reminds me a lot of my old badaxe in terms of stability and power. Gotta love the active northbridge cooling! Curious though, lowest i can set the tras is 9 where my ram is good for 8 or lower on other boards...
    i7-2600k L041C108 4.8ghz 1.32v PLL off Venomous-X Push/Pull http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1063
    Asus P8P67 Vanilla
    Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D/US 2x4GB @ 9-10-10-28 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=159320
    Diamond HD 7970
    WD 600GB Velociraptor
    Corsair TX750W
    CM 690 II Advanced

Q822A549 E8500 @ 4.5ghz air TRUE @ http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=203762

G.Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH @ 7-10-8-27 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=266839

the jedi master
    TRAS has a big effect on stability on p35 and x38, running low TRAS is not that good for most apps so i would not worry.

Regards the over clocking side of things it does not matter to me you can put dry ice on the NB etc, all i worry about is the ability to set ram timings and chipset timings properly and the bios does what its supposed to...I can tell you a couple of major brands you see all over this forum don't have it right hence the massive threads with people asking for help

That 6400 plat kit was running 5-4-3-12 DDr800 1.8v earlier and i had it benching 1066 5-5-5-18 with 2.15V yesterday, the flexibility of the board allowed me to do this especially with TRFC being totally adjustable.

I have a few friends at Foxconn now, its time they got a little help promoting what is an awesome little board.
    I have X48 coming soon off them also, now they have the bios tweaking sorted for MARS i am sure this board will be solid from the getgo.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Try to test the memory with Linpack 64bit. 1066 with 8GB is amazingly high, i can't get 8GB G.Skill PC8000 Linpack- stable even at 1000MHZ on ASUS P5K-Pro and Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P (though i can get it stable around 1066 in memtest86+)

If you can get it Linpack stable, i may consider switching to Foxconn Mars, even though its CPU power module is not quite as good as on ASUS and Gigabyte boards.
    Last edited by Cronos; 02-11-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Im dead surprised this board is hardly mentioned here
    Don't even know anyone using this board here in Singapore or VR Zone forums, Shamino's home town and forum. Long way to go for Foxconn mobo branding visibility.
    'He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose' - Jim Elliot
    Click on the pic to download a free pdf sample of the bestselling book!

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronos View Post
    Try to test the memory with Linpack 64bit. 1066 with 8GB is amazingly high, i can't get 8GB G.Skill PC8000 Linpack- stable even at 1000MHZ on ASUS P5K-Pro and Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P (though i can get it stable around 1066 in memtest86+)

If you can get it Linpack stable, i may consider switching to Foxconn Mars, even though its CPU power module is not quite as good as on ASUS and Gigabyte boards.
    Asus have limited TRFC, no wonder you are not truely stable, GBT im not sure on this one but you need to be running at least 52 at 1000 and 54 at 1066+

I will give it a go sometime the next few days and drop the results here if I can.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I've used some of the cheaper Foxxcon boards in my surveylance builds and not one board failure in 3 years and over 100 systems built with them.
    Not fancy but they are depenable.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    tRFC is right here, 52/1000, 64 /1066 on ASUS (by SPD).
    Gigabyte has an option in BIOS for tRFC, so i have tested it , no effect over 52. And by the way, P5K-Pro was more stable than GA.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I had considered the MARS board for my new build, but couldn't find much info about the board and very few threads here at XS. Because of that, I decided to go with a different mb. Foxconn really needs more exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by MacClipper View Post
    Don't even know anyone using this board here in Singapore or VR Zone forums, Shamino's home town and forum. Long way to go for Foxconn mobo branding visibility.
    Chanel sales is weak, not finger-pointin, but thats the truth

XIP
    Nice findings there Tony

I will get this one and waiting for the X48 version

Brilliant Idiot
    I'm stating tuned for your x48 info, if it has your blessing I'd be willing to give it a shot, asus x38 is kinda boring compared to manta in the memory tweak department.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post
    Speak of the devil.

Well, kind of disappointing not to see more of your handiwork locally lah...
    'He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose' - Jim Elliot
    Click on the pic to download a free pdf sample of the bestselling book!

Truth be known, i've been scoping this board out for a new build, seen the reviews, remember someone posting a thread on here and liked it, and since i have a thing for motherboards with stupid names (I've owned an Infinity NF2, a LANParty NF2, 3, 4 and a Commando) now its time to try the Snickers.... I mean Bounty.... I mean Mars. Sorry its real easy to get them mixed up

Once it's built, i'll let you guys know how it plays in the hands of a nub.

Dubz
    E6550 @ 3.5ghz for 24/7 usage (7 x 500 @ 1.325v)
    DFI P35 Dark
    4Gb Patriot LLC C4 / 2Gb CellShock PC6400 / 2Gb CellShock PC8000 (depends on mood)
    Viewsonic VX 912
    Razer Diamondback

Thermochill, Fuzion and EK all in a Mountainmods PA series.

Hi Tony

I have this board for a few days now..And have some minor issues.

Running 2 X 2 Gb OCZ 8000 on this board and Windows XP only detects 2,75gb..
    It's the first time i see this..The others motherboards always detect 3gb..as usual.
    Any idea why?
    I reinstall windows 4 times(with HDD detection problems),use different ram and CPU it doesn't change nothing..

Also when the motherboard boots i have this message" NO AHCI BIOS INSTALLED"
    Any idea why?
    Is it important or only affects SATA2 or Raid mode?

Final i finally sold my E8400 because there was no way to get stability even at low clocks ,no way to pass any OCCT test or Orthos.Even with 3,6ghz and 1,4v..
    The same CPU boots fine and pass super pi with only 1,32v at 4ghz..so ..

Been back to a Q6600 and it seems to be better.

You are talking about a "mature bios"...Wich one is it?
    I'm running P09..and i'm a little bit scared to flash for a beta G30B..Because of the Foxupdate utility wich is just a pain in the a..
    Don't want to loose the warranty.

I love this board ,it's very well finished,good quality,great bundle and so on..
    But some little things make it no different than the others..
    Here in France it's avery expensive board(210 euros)..Same price than X38 boards..I was waiting a little bit more because of the price..

Last thing..
    For my board there's no way to watercool anything except the CPU.
    The SB colling is stuck..as the NB is stuck on the Asus P5E..
    Same for you?

Xtreme Legend
    it's an absolute joke in Australia
    no finger point but........ heheh
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pej View Post
    Hi Tony

I have this board for a few days now..And have some minor issues.

Running 2 X 2 Gb OCZ 8000 on this board and Windows XP only detects 2,75gb..
    It's the first time i see this..The others motherboards always detect 3gb..as usual.
    Any idea why?
    I reinstall windows 4 times(with HDD detection problems),use different ram and CPU it doesn't change nothing..

Also when the motherboard boots i have this message" NO AHCI BIOS INSTALLED"
    Any idea why?
    Is it important or only affects SATA2 or Raid mode?

Final i finally sold my E8400 because there was no way to get stability even at low clocks ,no way to pass any OCCT test or Orthos.Even with 3,6ghz and 1,4v..
    The same CPU boots fine and pass super pi with only 1,32v at 4ghz..so ..

Been back to a Q6600 and it seems to be better.

You are talking about a "mature bios"...Wich one is it?
    I'm running P09..and i'm a little bit scared to flash for a beta G30B..Because of the Foxupdate utility wich is just a pain in the a..
    Don't want to loose the warranty.

I love this board ,it's very well finished,good quality,great bundle and so on..
    But some little things make it no different than the others..
    Here in France it's avery expensive board(210 euros)..Same price than X38 boards..I was waiting a little bit more because of the price..

Last thing..
    For my board there's no way to watercool anything except the CPU.
    The SB colling is stuck..as the NB is stuck on the Asus P5E..
    Same for you?
    you do know 32bit windows can not use more than 3.3GB now don't you, and make sure hardware remapping is enabled?

Give 64bit vista a try or even server 2008 and enjoy all of your ram.

Regards mature bios, im using a QX9650, had 4 and 8GB setups run thru this board all within 64bit vista and had the ram from 1120 down to 800 without ANY issues....Everything works as it should and everything I set in bios sets what it should.
    Last edited by Tony; 02-12-2008 at 03:44 AM.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Enthusiast
    its not available in the Philippines....

Rig Specs
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 4.0ghz 1.37v - DFI Lanparty UT P35 TR2 - 4x1GB Team Xtreem DDR2-1066 - Palit 8800GT Sonic 512MB GDDR3 256-bit
    160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA II 8MB Cache - 320GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - Liteon 18X DVD-Writer /w LS
    640GB Western Digital SE16 7200RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - Corsair HX 620W Modular PSU - Cooler Master Stacker 832
    Auzen 7.1 X-Plosion - Zalman ZM-DS4F - Sennheiser HD212 Pro - Edifier M2600

Custom Water Cooling
    Dtek Fusion Extreme CPU Block - Swiftech MCR-220 - Swiftech MCP655-B - Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Reservior - 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD Tubings
    Dual Thermaltake A2018s 120mm Blue LED Smart fans.

www.mni-photography.site88.net

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    it's an absolute joke in Australia
    no finger point but........ heheh
    Yup, for any product to get out there they need a good distribution network worldwide. Australia's 2 disties which import Foxconn brand have ended their Foxconn contracts AFAIK, so there will be no Foxconn brand in Australia unless another distributor decides to import Foxconn stuff into Australia!

With that said, I heard Hitachi brand is also pulling out of Australia too heh.
    ---

the jedi master
    The main issue is you have to market for a broader audience, its all well and good showing dry ice on NB's etc but that in most cases puts the mild overclocker off buying as they think they have to cool it with special hardware etc.

We all laugh as DFI for the old LanParty pictures on the box but that really was the way to go IMO, now they have a more corporate look at thats quite cool also.

Forum marketing also needs to be a little less focused on the extreme side of things and more on the weekend tweakers etc which really is where the money is.

X48 is coming after Cebit...I only test final boards so you guys can compare, so we wait anotyher month or so
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Cruncher
    never used a foxconn before (well i'm sure i have but didn't know it) but i have worked on plenty of peoples machines that have em... never seen a dead one... seen almost every other component in a case die but not a foxconn board... i like that idea... means stability... not too many companys offer that stability in any market... This board will definatly be my next... Plenty of options on a good looking board! just gotta wait for that tax money!!
    Black Ultra Aluminus case
    Intel Q6600 @3.6ghz
    Abit IP35 Pro
    4GB Corsair XMS2
    XFX Radeon 5770
    1TB Samsung F3 (boot)
    Windows 7 Pro
    Watercooling: Swiftech GTZ, 320QP with yates, D5 and Black PrimoFlex LRT tubing

6+ years and still running strong!! Not the most Xtreme anymore, but ya gotta do what the budget says ya gotta do!

Xtreme Member
    Because they are to busy making those $hitty Nvidia 680i reference boards that EVGA and company sells.

Beacuse of that I wont have another Foxcom board!

Mel
    MB: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / Bios ver:6102 / Cpu:Ryzen 2700x @ 4.2Ghz (24/7) (1.373), FSB 100x42
    Ram: GSkill PC4-25600 2x8Gb @ 3200MHz, 14-14-14-14-34-1T, 1.352v
    Gfx: EVGa 1080Ti GTX FTW DT
    SSD: Samsung 960 M2 Evo 500 GB
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    Cooling: EKWB L360 Kit
    Temps: Cpu: 30c Ambient / 28c @ Idle / 65c @ 100% Load

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mele View Post
    Because they are to busy making those $hitty Nvidia 680i reference boards that EVGA and company sells.

Beacuse of that I wont have another Foxcom board!

Mel
    Wait a minute. Foxconn builds the board as dictated by the design and specifications given them by nVidia using nVidia's chipset. And because nVidia has proved countless times they should not be in the chipset market you hold Foxconn responsible?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Wait a minute. Foxconn builds the board as dictated by the design and specifications given them by nVidia using nVidia's chipset. And because nVidia has proved countless times they should not be in the chipset market you hold Foxconn responsible?
    This is true....however, leaving and/or poorly applying of TIM to the NB/SB and Mosfets is not. That's poor manufacturing and assembly and quality control.

Mel
    MB: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / Bios ver:6102 / Cpu:Ryzen 2700x @ 4.2Ghz (24/7) (1.373), FSB 100x42
    Ram: GSkill PC4-25600 2x8Gb @ 3200MHz, 14-14-14-14-34-1T, 1.352v
    Gfx: EVGa 1080Ti GTX FTW DT
    SSD: Samsung 960 M2 Evo 500 GB
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    Cooling: EKWB L360 Kit
    Temps: Cpu: 30c Ambient / 28c @ Idle / 65c @ 100% Load

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast