Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD issues STOP SHIP order on Barcelona

Banned

AMD issues STOP SHIP order on Barcelona

Wow. They are in big trouble.

No significant quantities of B3 Barcs expected until end of Q1.

10-20% perf hit with "fix" to B2. Impacts lower speeds.

Seems to me that AMD should be publicly *recalling* all K10 parts, including Phenom.

Intel is going to take virtually all of their server share over the next few months.

---------------

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13721

Chip problem limits supply of quad-core Opterons
    by Scott Wasson — 1:49 PM on December 3, 2007

AMD's quad-core "Barcelona" Opterons have been notably difficult to find since their introduction two months ago, and The Tech Report has learned that a chip-level problem has impacted the supply of these chips to both server OEMs and distribution channel customers.

Chipmakers refer to chip-level problems as errata. Errata are fairly common in microprocessors, though they vary in nature and severity. This particular erratum first became widely known when AMD attributed the delay of the 2.4GHz version of its Phenom desktop processor to the problem. Not much is known about the specifics of the erratum, but it is related to the translation lookaside buffer (TLB) in the processor's L3 cache. The erratum can cause a system hang with certain software workloads. The issue occurs very rarely, and thus was not caught by AMD's usual qualification testing.

An industry source at a tier-two reseller told The Tech Report that the TLB erratum has led to a "stop ship" order on all Barcelona Opterons. When asked for comment, spokesman Phil Hughes said AMD is shipping Barcelona Opterons now, but only for "specific customer deals." Industry sources have suggested to TR that those deals are high-volume situations involving supercomputing clusters. Such customers may run workloads less likely to be affected by any workarounds for the erratum that reduce L3 cache performance, and those customers could potentially consume hundreds of thousands of CPUs. Our sources indicate, and the current availability picture would seem to confirm, that quad-core Opterons are not shipping to OEMs or the channel more generally.

News of this problem is notable because it confirms that the TLB erratum affects Barcelona server processors as well as Phenom desktop CPUs, and that the problem impacts AMD's quad-core processors at lower clock speeds. AMD's initial public statements about the erratum and the delay of the 2.4GHz Phenom seemed to imply that the issue was closely related to clock frequencies. The Opteron 2300 lineup spans clock speeds from 1.7GHz to 2.0GHz. Those CPUs' north bridge clocks, which determine the frequency of the L3 cache, range from 1.4GHz to 1.8GHz.

The erratum is present in all AMD quad-core processors up to the current B2 revision. AMD has said a revision B3 is in the works and expected in Q1. One source told TR that large quantities of B3 chips might not be available until the end of Q1.

The potential for instability with the TLB erratum can be corrected via BIOS-based workaround, but multiple sources have suggested the BIOS fix involves a substantial performance hit. AMD has publicly estimated the performance penalty for the BIOS fix could be around 10%, and one source pegged the penalty at 10-20%. AMD has acknowledged that the TLB erratum particularly affects virtualization, and industry sources say the performance hit from the fix may be most severe with virtualization, as well. Server administrators responsible for virtualized environments will probably want to wait for the B3-rev CPUs before upgrading.

TR has attempted to confirm the impact of the BIOS-based fix, but the BIOS for the SuperMicro H8DMU+ motherboard used in our review of the Barcelona Opterons has not been updated since mid-September and doesn't appear to include the TLB erratum workaround.

Linux users may have another option in the form of a patch for that operating system's kernel. Sources estimate this patch's performance hit at less than one percent, but it comes with several caveats. At present, the patch purportedly only applies to the 64-bit version Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Upgrade 4. Customers must sign a non-disclosure agreement in order to obtain the patch, and will be responsible for supporting it themselves. The patch doesn't currently appear to be available via Red Hat's regular support channels.

At present, Microsoft doesn't offer a Windows hotfix to address the problem, and our sources were doubtful about the prospects for such a patch. CPU makers have oftentimes addressed errata via updates to the processor's microcode, but such a fix for this problem also appears to be unlikely.

Xtreme Member
    It was only a matter of time. I kind of expected this would happen when they announced problems with the core last week. This is just too bad for AMD, they trully shot themselves in the foot. It will take atleast 2 years for AMD to even come back to be slightly competative, let alone the leader in cpu industry.

Banned
    Yeah, I too figured that the TLB thing had to hit Barc as well. But what is interesting here is that it appears lower-speed Phenoms *are* affected by the problem, too.

I feel sorry for anyone who bought one. They should be allowed to return it for a refund, and wait for B3 silicon, if they will want it.

hopefully this will get intel to not use the imc on the nahilem
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    hopefully this will get intel to not use the imc on the nahilem
    Unlike AMD, Intel has the immense R&D and raw capital to put up in order to implement an IMC correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by terrace215 View Post
    Intel is going to take virtually all of their server share over the next few months.
    Is this official news or your personal opinion

And if anyone is glad this happened I have a $200 P3 to sell you
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast

hmmm

Using a TLB hasn't got to do with the internal memory controller. It's something Intel already has, as does any CPU with alot of sophisticated cache mechanisms. It's purpose is to streamline fetching from memory, regardless of where or how that memory is set up.
    GA-MA790GP-D4SH, 965BE, 3.8Ghz
    Ultra120E, 4x2G Gskill 1066
    2x 150G VRaptor raid, WD640AALS
    8800GT 735/940/1685, LG-BluRay

Xtreme Guru
    So with B3 it should be about same performance as Core 2 clock for clock. Only cuz of this fix that has a huge performance hit on B2 stepping, they have to lower the price on K10 and they can't really higher the price when B3 arrives either. That seems quite embarrassing to me. Guess they will try to price it a bit expensier than it's worth compared to Core 2 CPUs meanwhile.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 12-03-2007 at 01:56 PM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

I am Xtreme
    Haven't heard good news from AMD in a long time... seems like they just keep throwing gas on the fire that has started on thier reputation.

Xtreme Rack Freak
    I guess I will be one of few who have retail K10 Bracelona 2346s for a while.

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

Xtreme Member
    At least they bought ATI. They can float the company in these times.

I also think releasing barcelona was a bad idea. There have been problems reported for months.
    i7 920 -- Gigabyte EX58-UD3R -- 3x2Gb G.Skill 1600 -- XFX GTX260
    WD 150Gb Raptor / Hitachi 750Gb -- Antec Smartpower 500W -- Coolermaster 690 case

Xtreme Addict
    This is seriously bad news. And here I was hoping for a Phenom at tax time...

Xtreme Mentor
    all I really want is for fusion to kick ass. F' Barcelona.

Xtreme Addict
    AFAICT the TLB bug doesn't diminish performance on current low clocked parts , the fix applied does that.In other words , K10 won't increase IPC over what the 2.2/2.3GHz parts tested have shown.

Either way , why isn't there a public recall ? Imagine AMD's partners who were given faulty silicon.
    Last edited by savantu; 12-03-2007 at 02:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    Fusion is a low-end part, at least initially. Why are you so excited about getting cheap integrated graphics on die with your CPU?

Xtreme Guru
    AMD in big trouble (...)
    Here we go again...
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    So with B3 it should be about same performance as Core 2 clock for clock. Only cuz of this fix that has a huge performance hit on B2 stepping, they have to lower the price on K10 and they can't really higher the price when B3 arrives either. That seems quite embarrassing to me. Guess they will try to price it a bit expensier than it's worth compared to Core 2 CPUs meanwhile.
    thats not the way i understood it. the way i understood it is they have this problem and COULD fix it with a bios correction but it would THEN bring the 10-20% performance hit and it may or may not work. but i may have read the article wrong.

but either way this is bad news for AMD like being totally off the market until the end of Q1? thats BAD, you think they would have found this problem out before they released a major product
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

Xtreme Member
    AMD hits bottom, and then starts digging. I hope they can tread the water.
    System: Core I7 920 @ 4200MHz 1.45vCORE 1.35VTT 1.2vIOH // EVGA x58 Classified E760 // 6GB Dominator GT 1866 @ 1688 6-7-6-18 1T 1.65V // Intel X25 80GB // PCP&C 750W Silencer
    Cooling: Heatkiller 3.0 LT CPU block // 655 Pump // GTX360 Radiator
    Sound: X-FI Titanium HD --> Marantz 2265 --> JBL 4311WXA's
    Display: GTX480 // Sony GDM-FW900

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    Wait, don't you mean Bulldozer? Fusion is going to be more for laptops, handhelds, and other things, no?

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    Here we go again...
    maybe they would sell more with this one
    ASUS P8P67
    i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.6GHz
    Twintech 8800 GT 512Mo Samsung (vgpu modded)
    Crucial Ballistix DDR3 C7 2 * 2Go
    2 * WD VelociRaptor 150Go RAID 0
    2 * Samsung Spinpoint F3 1To RAID 0
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Seasonic S12 600HT

WC :

1A-SL2 CPU // 1A-SL2 GPU (home made fix)
    Eheim 1048 + magicool 25
    2 * Black Ice Pro 3 serial
    Tygon 3603 + glycoshell

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCain View Post
    Wait, don't you mean Bulldozer? Fusion is going to be more for laptops, handhelds, and other things, no?
    same diference

Crunch-Fu Adept
    I still aint willing to call it some doomsday, but I really need some good news to keep my faith ...
    Sometimes a good slap in the face is all you need

Bios my arss.....
    I can fix this problem with a hardware mod....
    Hipro5

"Overclock till death. Overclocking is life." Hipro5

Xtreme Guru
    ColonelCain,

AFAIK,
    Fusion = next gen CPU basic architecture (just like "Hammer" for K8)

2 different cores in Fusion family:
    Bulldozer = next gen all-purpose CPU core module
    Bobcat = next gen mobile CPU core module with on-die PCIe2.0, iGPU on an MCM

Bulldozer core modules are for desktop, servers & HPC:
    Falcon = next gen desktop CPU (Bulldozer(s) + iGPU on an MCM)
    Sandtiger = next gen server & HPC CPU (lots of parallel Bulldozer cores, no iGPU)
    Last edited by largon; 12-03-2007 at 02:56 PM.
    You were not supposed to see this.

AMD get it together

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Let's hope B3 offers way better performance
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast