Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8800gtx buzz on load

8800gtx buzz on load

anyone experienced buzzing from card and/or corsair 620hx psu when running atitool or play games?

i'm really annoyed by the electronic buzzing niose

i have a OCZ 8800gtx
    Last edited by silentgear; 05-13-2007 at 02:04 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    The buzzing noise, are speaking about the HS fan on the card itself? I'm not sure what that sounds like because I removed mine as soon as I got the card and slapped on a Thermalright HR-03+.
    From the reviews I read the cooling solution for the G80 models were suppose to be more quiet than the 7 series cards but you could have a bearing problem w/ the fan.
    You should be able to locate where the buzzing noise is comming from in your case. If it is happening under load it could be either the fan spinning up due to an increase in heat or a bad PSU no being able to handle the load.
    I'd roll up a piece of paper in the shape of a cone and place it near each device and try to figure out what item is generating that buzzing noise.
    QX 9650 | Maximus II Formula | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2 8500 | Sapphire 4850 X2 2GB| Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 | 3x's WD 150GB Raptors & 2x's 1TB Seagate 7200.11 | Silverstone OP1200 | SilverStone TJ07 | Dell 2707WFP

EK-RES 250 --> Swiftech MCP655 --> Apogee GTZ --> Enzotech Sapphire NB --> Feser X-Changer 360

Xtreme Addict
    Thats the whining noise almost every nVidia card has.
    It means cheap quality, more then 500 euro, so total rip-off!
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Member
    I have this same exact issues, but it seems to be going away, as its no where near as loud as it was when I first got the card..........thank god. I dont even notice it anymore while gaming, which is all I really care about, but its definetly noticable when running ATI Tool or RTHDRIBL

The noise comes from one of the little black chips right under the fan, not from the HSF inself, and its very similar to a capacitor buzzing\whine you'd hear in a faulty PSU or something like that.

There was a very detailed thread about it on the eVGA forums, but unfortunetly they removed it........surprise surprise, why would they want people to know there is a flaw in their cards?

Heres a pic of my card, with the little chip circled that supposedly makes the noise...........

http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?i...5080004rd4.jpg
    Lian-Li V1000B || i5 2500k || Gigabyte P67-UD4 || 4GB Dominator 1600s || eVGA GTX 570 || 60GB OCZ Vertex || Corsair HX850

this is what i posted on corsair's tech support forum.. still waiting for a relpy

Hi there, I have a very weird problem with buzzing and I have run out of ideas for testing.

Situation:
    I have a seasonic 500watts and an ocz8800gtx video card. a evga 7900gt ko video card and the recently purchased Corsair 620HX 620watts

a. with setup of
    i.seasonic 500watts + evga 7900gt
    ii. corsairs 620watts + evga 7900gt.
    on idle or load the system is very quiet. no buzzing at all running games, 3dmark06 or ati tool stress test.

b. with setup of
    i seasonic 500 watts + ocz8800gtx
    I can hear faint to loud buzzing from just the video card, whenever I run 3dmark06 and ati tool. Games like counterstrike source has no buzz but Oblivion has very loud buzzing as I've turned on the max setting.

to see if I am running out of power and in preparation for future upgrades, I went ahead and purchased a Corsair 620hx from directcanada.ca
    so setup of
    ii corsair 620 watts + ocz8800gtx
    the situation has gone worse. I can hear much louder buzzing from both the powersupply and the 8800gtx video card now even counterstrike source produces buzz.

This is so bizzare. I have already rma'd once my video card and am prepared to do a second time(this time directly with oczcustomer service, instead of retail store)

Am I missing something here? On idle the corsair is as quiet as my seasonic s12-500 but it's cant match my seassonic on load, even though both seem to have a problem.

thanks G4h4o8s6T that de-mystify this whole mess i got myself into... the quality of electronics is going down hill.....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by G4h4o8s6T View Post
    I have this same exact issues, but it seems to be going away, as its no where near as loud as it was when I first got the card..........thank god. I dont even notice it anymore while gaming, which is all I really care about, but its definetly noticable when running ATI Tool or RTHDRIBL

The noise comes from one of the little black chips right under the fan, not from the HSF inself, and its very similar to a capacitor buzzing\whine you'd hear in a faulty PSU or something like that.

There was a very detailed thread about it on the eVGA forums, but unfortunetly they removed it........surprise surprise, why would they want people to know there is a flaw in their cards?

Heres a pic of my card, with the little chip circled that supposedly makes the noise...........

http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?i...5080004rd4.jpg
    Those coils you marked in the picture are really bad, guys like Hipro5 even replace those coils with better ones.

The standard coils are el-cheapo crap!!
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Cruncher
    This is all new to me. I have had my 8800GTX KO ACS3 for a couple of months and have never had a buzzing issue.
    QX 9650 | Maximus II Formula | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2 8500 | Sapphire 4850 X2 2GB| Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 | 3x's WD 150GB Raptors & 2x's 1TB Seagate 7200.11 | Silverstone OP1200 | SilverStone TJ07 | Dell 2707WFP

EK-RES 250 --> Swiftech MCP655 --> Apogee GTZ --> Enzotech Sapphire NB --> Feser X-Changer 360

TouGe, this is some hidden secret i would say. I'm one of the unlucky ones... going to RMA my card this week and hopefully get something good back.

G4h4o8s6T, how long did it take for the buzz to get less noticeable???
    is it something you can get it healed by stressing the card 24/7?

Xtreme Member
    yes my evga 8800gtx buzzes also and i know its the card cuase as soon i minimize the game it stops buzzing and its not the fan ethier
    Last edited by whoodiestyle; 05-15-2007 at 05:31 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yes it's normal for most nvidia cards, my 7900GTO also does it when im topping 200FPS

just shipped back to OCZ by ground to Ontario today.

I'll see what happens next, if the next card still buzzes, I guess I'll have to live with that....

my biostar 88gtx got that noise buzzes too.
    i think that noise is from nvidia series 88xx.

same here with my Asus 8800GTX. buzzes only in 3d... I think it should be fine.. I hope

Banned
    completely unacceptible imo. i would return the card when the 8900 is released. if youve had to put up with that annoying buzzing sound then nvidia will have to put up with dissatisfied customers.....

well i got back my card and it seems to buzz less, but anyway, i dont want to spend more money shipping back the card. gonna wait it out and see how it is.
    I'm satisfied with ocz's rma process though, got the card back in 18 work days, i was expecting at least one month since the canadian office had some internal rma process flaws.

Most people don't seem to realize, some electronic components just buzz...

My old 9800pro did it. My old Antec 430W did it. I've had mobo's do it. It's completely common place for it to occur.

Most companies are pretty good about accepting an RMA if it does happen though, but anyone who blatantly blames a company for it is just being petty and clinching for straws.
    Last edited by DilTech; 06-05-2007 at 08:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Member
    I think it's safe to say that my 7800GT does it. My 6800NU didn't, but that's b/c I had that monstrosity from Leadtek which was overbearing anyway...lol
    >> i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz | CM212Plus + P12 | P55-UD3R [BIOS F2] | 4GB G.Skill CL8 | Zotac GTX 580
    .: 4 x 1TB WD | Corsair TX750 | Lian Li PC-A70A | X-Fi | Logitech Z-2300

Xtreme Mentor
    I have been hearing a lot about these 8800 cards buzzing. Makes me think twice about getting one as I am pretty sure with my luck it will buzz. If it really is those components circled above why arent they using better ones when manufacturing? I am sure the cost of using better ones will be cheaper than dealing with RMA's over the noise.

I already have to deal with this exact noise on my Silverstone DA750 PSU which whines and buzzes under high 3D load.
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    Asus P8P67
    2600K w/ Thermalright Venomous X Black w/ Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    8GB G.Skill DDR-1600 7-8-7-24
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1G
    Modded Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    1 X 120GB OCZ Vertex
    1 X 300GB WD Velociraptor HLFS
    1 X Hitachi 7K1000 1TB
    Pioneer DVR-216L DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    From the hip and aim at the kitchen if she doesn't approve your purchases. She'll know better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous View Post
    I have been hearing a lot about these 8800 cards buzzing. Makes me think twice about getting one as I am pretty sure with my luck it will buzz. If it really is those components circled above why arent they using better ones when manufacturing? I am sure the cost of using better ones will be cheaper than dealing with RMA's over the noise.

I already have to deal with this exact noise on my Silverstone DA750 PSU which whines and buzzes under high 3D load.
    A lot of people's "buzzing" is actually coming from their power-supply. Of course, like I said, this happens when electronic components period, especially when they're pulling that much juice.

Even my xbox360 battery charger(official, not 3rd party) makes a buzzing noise if it's sitting idle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Member
    the 8800s have a built in warning system when the card isnt getting enough power, the evga tech guy described this as a buzzing noise
    2600K 3109C384
    Modded Corsair H50
    ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution
    2x2GB Super Talent 2000
    Evga GTX 480
    Corsair 850 HX
    CM Storm Sniper black ed.
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Windows 7 64

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    Those coils you marked in the picture are really bad, guys like Hipro5 even replace those coils with better ones.

The standard coils are el-cheapo crap!!
    so this guy that replaced his and is now fine was talking rubbish.... i dont think so, people have said that nvidia has tried to keep this manufacturing error as under wraps as possible so it might be that the nvidia tech guy was giving you the response he was told to by his guidlines which would appear on his pc after inputing the details of the problem....

3dMark Isn't Everything
    I have what seems to be exactly the same problem.

I have changed PSU's, stopped all fans, etc, and it still happens. When idle, it's not there at all, when i load a game, it whines, it's def an electrical noise. It's at it's worst in Supreme Commander, when i zoom out, it's seriously loud.

It's really sucky, as i like the card, what are my choices? is there a way to quiten it down?

Dil-tech i think your a bit ignorant, if you think people should accept the noise. I didn't spend 370quid for a loud noise.
    Kentsfield Q6600@ 3100Mhz
    Asus P5B-E Plus
    2GB GSkill DDRII PC6400GBHZ
    Albatron Geforce 8800GTX
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09
    Thermalright Ultra 120
    Corsair 620W HX
    74GB Raptor/ X-Fi Platinum
    19" CRT NEC 930 SB
    Windows XP Pro SP2

Xtreme Addict
    Unfortunately my GTX whines as well, but fortunately only in 3DMark.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

3dMark Isn't Everything
    Is there any point in an RMA? Is this a problem with all GTX's? Mines pretrty much unbareable in Sup Com.

Has anyone got Sup Com? Fire up a game for 30 mins, then zoom out, and you'll see what i mean.
    Kentsfield Q6600@ 3100Mhz
    Asus P5B-E Plus
    2GB GSkill DDRII PC6400GBHZ
    Albatron Geforce 8800GTX
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09
    Thermalright Ultra 120
    Corsair 620W HX
    74GB Raptor/ X-Fi Platinum
    19" CRT NEC 930 SB
    Windows XP Pro SP2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast