Thread: OC Report :: Buffalo Firestix 2x1GB PC8000 C5

uncore challenged...

OC Report :: Buffalo Firestix 2x1GB PC8000 C5

Buffalo Technologies isn't going to be the first name many of you think of when coming up with memory manufacturers that produce high-end overclocking RAM. They are however starting to really make their presence known in the enthusiast sector with high-quality memory kits at some of the most reasonable prices in town. Buffalo introduced their FireStix line back in the DDR hay-days and have carried that brand over into 2007 and the peak of DDRII performance.

These modules were provided to me by Buffalo but are a normal run-of-the-mill sample sent from their retail division. In fact, as you will see soon, they are kind of an odd set that somehow slipped through the production cracks. When I informed Buffalo of the oddity, they sent out a replacement module but I had already completed the testing with the first set of sticks so that is what I will be posting results from today. Here is the complete list of specifications for these modules.

Code:
    * Part #FSX1000D2C-K2G
    * 2GB kit (2 x 1024MB)
    * DDR2-1000 5-5-5 @ 2.1v
    * 2x 240-pin DDR2 DIMMs
    * Non-ECC, Unbuffered
    * Aluminum heat spreader with thermally-conductive adhesive
    * Lifetime Warranty
    I had trouble finding retail outlets that carried this memory and right now, Newegg.com doesn't even have this PC8000 kit listed. You can always grab Buffalo memory directly from the manufacturer and their on-line store has this kit listed at $280 right now. Sometimes their on-line store has some pretty good deals so if your looking into this kit, don't rule them out and check their price at time of your ordering. Now that we are all aware of what the subject of todays work is going to be, let's have a look at the modules and get to some overclocking.

Package:
    Click for full size...

Buffalo sends out their modules in the standard blister pack with a simple cardboard insert that is universal with all of the FireStix line of memory. The model designation comes by way of a sticker on each module and a third sticker on the insert as seen on the right hand side about half way up in the first image. It is quite obvious that the oddity I was referring to earlier is the fact that one module has the newer heatspreader and one has the older heatspreader. They are pretty much the same, just a slight difference in color, logo, and sticker. So if you buy a set of FireStix modules, don't be surprised if you get mismatched heatspreaders, I assure you that they are the same sticks underneath.

Contents:
    Click for full size...

The heatspreaders Buffalo uses on these modules are pretty basic and the thermal tape used is the thicker grey adhesive material that is evident in the fourth image. I would prefer to see the thin clear thermal material that Super Talent and Corsair have been using as of late that is heat cured to the heatspreader and ICs. That method would promote better heat transfer but also makes it difficult to remove the heatspreaders without causing damage and makes it impossible to re-attach them.

Either way, with the grey thermal tape used, it is quite easy to pull the heatspreaders up with a little bit of heat to reveal some lovely little D9GKX ICs below. The PCB appears to be produced by Dynamic but specifications seem to be scarce on the internet. I really would like to see Brain Power PCBs for better high voltage stabalization or some fancy 8-layer boards.

Intel Setup:
    Click for full size...

The intel setup will be my standard Asus P5B-Dlx setup that involves some pretty intense cooling on the CPU by way of a Chilly1 single stage unit and a Noctua NC-U6 heatsink on the northbridge. I will also be using my DDR Maximizer as always and a 120mm fan hanging overhead to keep the heat generated by the modules and chipset away. For a few of the higher voltage runs, I did switch to air cooling by way of a Thermalright Ultra-120 as they were run at a later time so you will notice much higher CPU temps. I also had to substitute the E6300 for an E6600 at one point while my beloved 4GHz E6300 got RMA'd .

AMD Setup:
    Click for full size...

I know I lied before by saying that the AM2 testing was going to be done but this will definitely be the last review as I no longer own this setup. There isn't anything special about this setup and it will be replaced by an Asus P5N32-E SLI 680i board in future reports. Here are the complete lists of hardware used for each setup:
    Code:
    AMD Setup:                                 Intel Setup:
    MB: DFI LanParty NF590 SLI-M2R/G           MB: Asus P5B-Dlx Wifi
    CPU: AMD64 X2 4000+ (CCBYF 0620UPMW)       CPU: Intel C2D E6300 (L630A864)
    CPU Cooling: Thermalright Ultra-120        CPU Cooling: Chilly1 SS
    GPU: Biostar 7300GT                        GPU: Biostar 7600GS
    NB Cooling: Noctua NC-U6                   NB Cooling: Noctua NC-U6
    PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W                  PSU: Silverstone Zeus 560W
    HD: Seagate SATAII 80GB 8MB NCQ            HD: Seagate SATAII 80GB 8MB NCQ
    OS: Windows XP Pro                         OS: Windows XP Pro
                                               EXTRA: Hipro-Tech.com DDR Maximizer
    Ambient Temperature: 22-23C
    As always, there are a couple disclaimers that one has to be aware of with these results.
    A - SmartGuardian reports VDIMM 0.11v lower than it actually is on the AM2 results
    B - What you see is what you get. I am only claiming dual32M stability and that is what I show in the screenshots. Please don't say "that isn't a stability test" or remark that I should be running something else for stability. Dual 32M is a great starting point for finding memory overclock stability and is all I intend on showing in my overclocking reports.

We can now see what these sticks are capable of, starting off with 3-4-3-8 results on the Intel setup. I choose to clock 3-4-3 instead of 3-3-3 because tRCD of 4 is faster than tRCD of 3 on this board. For those that are wondering, 3-4-3 clocks about 5-10MHz higher than 3-3-3.

3-4-3-8:
    Intel:
    Click link for full size screenshot...
    365MHz :: 2.00v | 385MHz :: 2.10v | 405MHz :: 2.20v | 420MHz :: 2.30v | 435MHz :: 2.40v | 450MHz :: 2.50v | 460MHz :: 2.60v

3-3-3-8:
    AMD:
    365MHz :: 2.00v | 380MHz :: 2.10v | 400MHz :: 2.20v | 415MHz :: 2.29v | 425MHz :: 2.39v | 435MHz :: 2.50v | 445MHz :: 2.60v

4-4-4-8:
    Intel:
    460MHz :: 2.00v | 485MHz :: 2.10v | 515MHz :: 2.20v | 540MHz :: 2.30v | 560MHz :: 2.40v | 575MHz :: 2.50v | 585MHz :: 2.60v

AMD:
    470MHz :: 2.00v | 500MHz :: 2.10v | 525MHz :: 2.20v | 540MHz :: 2.29v | 560MHz :: 2.39v | 575MHz :: 2.50v | 580MHz :: 2.60v

5-5-5-8:
    Intel:
    540MHz :: 2.00v | 560MHz :: 2.10v | 570MHz :: 2.20v

More CL5 funny action on my P5B-Dlx. There is nothing I could do that would get over 570MHz at 5-5-5. Sub timings and more voltage did nothing, despite CL4 running up to 585MHz. Clearly there is something with the memory controller on my board that doesn't like CL5 as this is not the first kit with symptoms like this. The modules are very stable at 570MHz as seen in this Prime / Win Memtest stability screenshot.

AMD:
    515MHz :: 2.00v | 540MHz :: 2.10v | 570MHz :: 2.20v | 590MHz :: 2.29v | 600MHz :: 2.40v

That is about all the testing I have and will do with this kit. No DDR1200 4-4-4 but these modules certainly did like running 3-4-3 on the P5B-Dlx and almost reached DDR900 at 3-3-3 on the AM2 setup. Overall, this kit did just about what I expected it to do being D9GKX.

Hopefully this report shows some of those folks out there that think D9GKX is always better than D9GMH...highly binned D9GMH tend to beat most D9GKX that I have found and obviously Buffalo isn't getting the highest binned D9GKX from Micron. Perhaps my kit just wasn't great...which makes perfect sense as I have terrible luck with memory for the most part

As always, questions, comments, and concerns are certainly welcome. Thanx for looking.
    Last edited by 3oh6; 07-09-2009 at 07:18 PM.
    i don't quote in my signature, but best WR ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)
    i can't even make that shyt up ^^^

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the review and just in time for me as I have been eying these Firestix as of lately.

I like the price:performance and I'm going for a new build which will only include black and red throughout so these fit perfectly.

Xtreme Member
    sweet

Xtreme Addict
    Nice review. I had the same problem on P5B at CAS 5 with voltage higher than 2.25v netting no increase in overclock beyond 586mhz. Strange how CAS 4 actually got you a bit higher albeit with 2.6v. I'll have to take another try. Have you considered testing without heat spreaders?

Buffalo will have to get better PCB and heat solutions before they can begin to start thinking about breaking into the first tier boutique memory company ranks.
    Sourcing parts for a mildly over clocked abacus.

Xtreme Member
    Does this ram still have the Micron D9GKX chips on them? My 4*5400c4 corsairs don't really like high speeds and I'm thinking about selling them.

Xtreme Addict
    For the price you paid for it, that ram is very solid performer although there might be something wrong with the PCB still very solid
    Edit
    @ .devastatioN guys bought that kit last week found GKX
    Last edited by kemo; 02-24-2007 at 09:14 AM.
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by gundamit
    Nice review. I had the same problem on P5B at CAS 5 with voltage higher than 2.25v netting no increase in overclock beyond 586mhz. Strange how CAS 4 actually got you a bit higher albeit with 2.6v. I'll have to take another try. Have you considered testing without heat spreaders?

Buffalo will have to get better PCB and heat solutions before they can begin to start thinking about breaking into the first tier boutique memory company ranks.
    i have seen a few instances where people have had the same issues with CL5 on the P5B-Dlx and mine seems to come and go with every kit. there is probably some rhyme or reason to it but i am just too busy to do the testing necessary to find out. i have just learned to accept it at this point.

you are absolutely right about Buffalo though, they will need better PCBs before they make it to the main stage but for now...the FireStix are definitely good bang for the buck. i haven't tested without heatspreaders as i haven't had much time as of late. i might get around to it later on but i doubt it, i have a whole pile of memory yet to report on

@ .devastatioN - Buffalo sent me these modules the first week of January. there is definitely no gaurantee what ICs are going to come on any given set of memory from Buffalo though. with that said, i wouldn't worry about it. the PC8500 FireStix are Buffalos highest bin 2GB kit right now and will always be either D9GMH or GKX and that is all that counts.
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)

Da Goose
    Most Excellent...Great work 3oh6

i7-860 Farm with nVidia GPU's

Xtremely Addicted
    Good review with very nice pics!

Xtreme Member
    Nice review! I regret already coz I got the Firestix PC8500 set instead this PC8000 set, which is GKX almost for sure.

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Gee 3oh6, you're GOOD......You're just GOOD.....

I bet that some "high classed" review site could hire you for reviews M8.....Damn good....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Xtreme Member
    3oh6, did you try overclocking those RAM @ 1.8v? Seems to me they can run 500MHz 5-5-5-15 easily.
    And did anyone notice that it says PC6400 in CPU-Z? My PC-8500 kits have the same info in CPU-Z and it's weird to me. Maybe they just pasted the markers of PC-8000 or PC-8500 onto some PC-6400 RAMs and shipped them to us.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superray
    3oh6, did you try overclocking those RAM @ 1.8v? Seems to me they can run 500MHz 5-5-5-15 easily.
    And did anyone notice that it says PC6400 in CPU-Z? My PC-8500 kits have the same info in CPU-Z and it's weird to me. Maybe they just pasted the markers of PC-8000 or PC-8500 onto some PC-6400 RAMs and shipped them to us.
    from what i've noticed. alot of times they don't report the the speed ur buying them for. they just throw something in there that will run at 1.8v assured and say there ya go.

Xtreme Addict
    nice review..

thanks for sharing..
    Asus P5W64 WS Professional , DFI Infinity 965P-S (testing)
    X6800 , E6750 es
    Micron Fatbodies , Micron D9gkx oem, Crucial 8000, Crucial Tracer 8500 (incomming)
    Ati FireGL V5100, Elsa FireGL V3100
    water cooling setup (EK 775 cpu block, swiftech NB Block, Swiftech pump, BI dual pass dual 120mm)
    Silverstone OP650
    raptors, baracuda

Xtreme Member
    This is surprising for me. I had 3 sets of D9GMH (1GB x 2), and they all required CL 5 for 1100MHz+ on 680i. I was lucky enough to grab these fantastic FireStix D9GKX, and they do 1200MHz CL4 on the same board! Needless to say I'm impressed. I didn't dare to buy D9GKX due to the high prices before these so as soon as I saw the $205 tag I took my credit card out. A very very rare case for me where I didn't regret an impulse buy.
    I don't check my PMs very often.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lopri
    This is surprising for me. I had 3 sets of D9GMH (1GB x 2), and they all required CL 5 for 1100MHz+ on 680i. I was lucky enough to grab these fantastic FireStix D9GKX, and they do 1200MHz CL4 on the same board! Needless to say I'm impressed. I didn't dare to buy D9GKX due to the high prices before these so as soon as I saw the $205 tag I took my credit card out. A very very rare case for me where I didn't regret an impulse buy.
    good for you.. ..I miss that chance.. now its 280$ but it is still cheaper than most brands..

please post your results..
    Asus P5W64 WS Professional , DFI Infinity 965P-S (testing)
    X6800 , E6750 es
    Micron Fatbodies , Micron D9gkx oem, Crucial 8000, Crucial Tracer 8500 (incomming)
    Ati FireGL V5100, Elsa FireGL V3100
    water cooling setup (EK 775 cpu block, swiftech NB Block, Swiftech pump, BI dual pass dual 120mm)
    Silverstone OP650
    raptors, baracuda

Xtreme Member
    I've posted these results @AnandTech last week so just copy/paste.

E6400 @3.20GHz (Sub-timings left auto)
    1.80V: 900MHz / 4-4-4-12
    2.00V: 1000MHz / 4-4-4-12
    2.10V: 800MHz / 3-3-3-8
    2.20V: 1100MHz / 4-4-4-12
    2.45V: 1200MHz / 4-4-4-12

E6400 @3.60GHz (Sub-timings mannually adjusted)
    2.40V: 900MHz / 3-3-3-8
    2.50V: 1200MHz / 4-4-4-12

Screen shots (in the same order as above)

E6400 @3.20GHz

E6400 @3.60GHz

I don't check my PMs very often.

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by superray View Post
    sorry for the ultra-extreme-uber late reply, i have been on a sort of benching/reviewing hiatus for a while, but no...i don't bother testing under 2.0v. i'm sure they would run close to if not 500 5-5-5 at 1.8v but don't think i have the time to really find out...sorry.

Xtreme Member
    nice review

Xtreme Member
    Looks like my FSX800D2C show the same timings in cpu-z But instead of showing pc6400 mine show pc5400. Its ok though because they perform much better than the elpida based sticks i originally bought.
    Core i7 920 @
    MSI X58 Eclipse SLI
    6GB Mushkin Blackline
    GTX295

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
    i have seen a few instances where people have had the same issues with CL5 on the P5B-Dlx and mine seems to come and go with every kit. there is probably some rhyme or reason to it but i am just too busy to do the testing necessary to find out. i have just learned to accept it at this point.

you are absolutely right about Buffalo though, they will need better PCBs before they make it to the main stage but for now...the FireStix are definitely good bang for the buck. i haven't tested without heatspreaders as i haven't had much time as of late. i might get around to it later on but i doubt it, i have a whole pile of memory yet to report on

@ .devastatioN - Buffalo sent me these modules the first week of January. there is definitely no gaurantee what ICs are going to come on any given set of memory from Buffalo though. with that said, i wouldn't worry about it. the PC8500 FireStix are Buffalos highest bin 2GB kit right now and will always be either D9GMH or GKX and that is all that counts.
    Thanks mate, I appriciate your time. I'm still going to wait for ddr3, as my corsairs aren't worth ..... anymore. Your reviews look excellent .

Xtreme Member
    Never mind.
    Edited
    Last edited by superray; 03-19-2007 at 09:35 PM. Reason: grammar mistake

Sir. .

i have buffalo firestix 2x1gb 1066 on my asus rampage formula. . .i have a big problem with this board or maybe with this memory i dont know which one is causing the problem. . .

Ok here's the problem. . .

when my rig boots up running at normal, no tweaks on the board i get Det Dram on lcd post. . . and rig doesnt boot whatsover. . .to be able to boot i need to clear the cmos so i can go to bios. . . when im inside the bios and tried setting the dram voltage to 2.1 as it says on firestix manual and timings 5.5.5.18 then save and exit i still get "DET DRAM" then i need clear cmos again to be able to go to bios. . .now here the good part when i set the dram frequency to 800mhz no tweaks on the voltage just the dram frequency.. . the pc boots up and runs 24/7 no errors whatsoever. .. so what do you thin is the problem here?? can you help me??

Xtreme Addict
    exellent reviews ! 3oh6
    FireStix's rock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660