Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Palit / XpertVision 7300GT DDR3 Voltmod

I am Xtreme

Palit / XpertVision 7300GT DDR3 Voltmod

I bought myself two cards to play with, but I can't find any voltmod . So I was hoping if anyone could figure this voltmod out.

Pictures:
    Back: Mesured volts + Chips named
    Front:Mesured volts + Chips named

If you need any more information, please let me know.
    Last edited by massman; 09-02-2006 at 12:32 PM.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hi,

I wonder there are two identical regulators 'APW7120' (one front, second bottom) ? Could you confirm this ? As you have measured at least one chip has 0.8 V in pin #6, which indicates the chip is 'APW7120' and it is used in a normal mode.

--

The datasheet of that IC can be found here:

http://www.anpec.com.tw/products/dow...20/Apw7120.htm

The output voltage of this regulator can be adjusted easily (see www-page above) by decreasing resistance between FB (pin #6) and GND. In other words connect a HIGH value variable resistor (severel kiloohms minimum) between FB and GND and measure corresponding voltage Vmem/Vcore. Adjust resistor carefully and measure voltage level frequently.. and DO NOT make shorts/use low resistance values !!

Good luck

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SikaRippa
    Hi,

I wonder there are two identical regulators 'APW7120' (one front, second bottom) ? Could you confirm this ? As you have measured at least one chip has 0.8 V in pin #6, which indicates the chip is 'APW7120' and it is used in a normal mode.

--

The datasheet of that IC can be found here:

http://www.anpec.com.tw/products/dow...20/Apw7120.htm

The output voltage of this regulator can be adjusted easily (see www-page above) by decreasing resistance between FB (pin #6) and GND. In other words connect a HIGH value variable resistor (severel kiloohms minimum) between FB and GND and measure corresponding voltage Vmem/Vcore. Adjust resistor carefully and measure voltage level frequently.. and DO NOT make shorts/use low resistance values !!

Good luck
    1) Yes there is; two identical APW7120 chips

2) At my home forum, which is dutch, Wittekakker also points out the APW7120 chip as Voltage regulator. The other chip should be the LMxxx chip. Can you check that chip out ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Those black things with 1Rom written on them are inductors, and there are power mosfets not very far away either from those APW's. It could be that the one on the back of the card is used for Vmem and the one on front is used for Vcore. Massman can you messure on both legs of those black "1ROM" inductors and report back. You have to messure voltage from one leg to ground, not between the legs, that makes 4 messurements.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by massman
    1) Yes there is; two identical APW7120 chips

2) At my home forum, which is dutch, Wittekakker also points out the APW7120 chip as Voltage regulator. The other chip should be the LMxxx chip. Can you check that chip out ?
    You mean LM358 ? That one is an operational amplifier: COULD be part regulator circuit. However, since there are two 'APW7120 ' regulator chips (+lots of components required for voltage genaration around them, like capacitors MOSFET's and inductors) is it LIKELY those those are used to generate two important DC-voltages.

So, it is good idea to check voltages of those nodes wittekakker pointed out.

Does anybody know inno 7300GT 256MB DDR3 voltmods?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by wittekakker
    Those black things with 1Rom written on them are inductors, and there are power mosfets not very far away either from those APW's. It could be that the one on the back of the card is used for Vmem and the one on front is used for Vcore. Massman can you messure on both legs of those black "1ROM" inductors and report back. You have to messure voltage from one leg to ground, not between the legs, that makes 4 messurements.
    Will do that this afternoon

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Konflikt
    Does anybody know inno 7300GT 256MB DDR3 voltmods?
    Shoot some good pictures like Massman did previous in this thread and then it will be possible to help you.

I found it: Inno 7300GT 256MB DDR3 voltmod: http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3932&s=8

I will make it, when 7300GTs arrive. (tomorrow )

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by massman
    Will do that this afternoon
    Here are the voltages:

http://img333.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backih6.jpg

Xtreme Enthusiast
    In one of your pictures you showed on our local forum you said stock core voltage was 1,16V. Blind-Ripper told us the RAM's were DDR3 and 2V is normal for those RAM's. Looking at your last picture I think you have to mod both APW chips: the one on the top left for Vmem, the one in the center for Vcore. You allready know how to mod it, it's explained on both Xs and local fora.

Do you agree SikaRippa, or do you have something else in mind?

oh and, eu... please report back if this mods works, it always might be usefull for others and for myself.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by wittekakker
    In one of your pictures you showed on our local forum you said stock core voltage was 1,16V. Blind-Ripper told us the RAM's were DDR3 and 2V is normal for those RAM's. Looking at your last picture I think you have to mod both APW chips: the one on the top left for Vmem, the one in the center for Vcore. You allready know how to mod it, it's explained on both Xs and local fora.

Do you agree SikaRippa, or do you have something else in mind?

oh and, eu... please report back if this mods works, it always might be usefull for others and for myself.
    Will do this today or this weekend

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    Didn't know there was a thread about it.
    I was talking to Big_Sam and S_A_V and I will mod at least one of my cards tomorrow when the parts arrive.
    The Ram on the cards is Infineon AFL20 which is rated to run at 1.8V, but Palit runs it at 1.98V, so its already factory voltmodded.

Edit: Just out of curiosity: You are talking about the APW chips in front of the card, right?
    I didnt start measuring yet, but the more I know, the less work I have to do as I am a kinda noob when it comes to figureing out vmods by myself. That ususally ends in releasing the magic smoke

Edit²: Ignore what I just said. I just noticed the chip in front center is no APW. The one in front left and on the back seem the be the right cips according to their resistance. Damn those legs are small. Good thing I have 3 cards, so hopefully I can do it right with at least one card hehe.

Edit3: Hmm too bad, but my paket wont arrive today, so I have to wait another day :/

Edit4: Now that I thought about it, the resistance I measured seems to be too low. S_A_V said it should be between 500 and 1000Ohm, but its 260 on the back and 180 in front.
    So does anyone know if that can be right?

Edit5: Just measured the resistance again with the heatsing attached and now I am getting 207Ohm in Front and 326Ohm on the back.
    Gotta get another voltmeter, maybe this one aint working properly.
    Last edited by Fr3ak; 09-08-2006 at 03:33 AM.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    Cant Edit my other post for some reason.
    I did some more research with the help of Big_Sam.
    The APW chip on the back of the card is definately for vmem mod. The point where massman measured 1.73V is the Vmem measure point. I am getting 1.98V with it and its connected to Pin8, so thats vmem. Resistance is only 327Ohm between Pin3(ground) and Pin6(feedback), but that must be it.
    Will be looking for vgpu later or tomorrow. Measuring in front of the card aint that easy and it could aswell be possible that that 14pin chip on the back is regulating VGPU as it has 1.16V reading close to it.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

I am Xtreme
    I'll try the voltmods and let you know if those are the correct mods.

I am Xtreme
    The suggested voltmods work perfectly: 1.2 Vgpu, 2.05 Vmem.

Next week some serious testing (Need a cpu )

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    So both APW chips are the correct ones. I just got my soldering stuff, will try the mods now too. I havent done any voltmods for ages, so it wont look good, thats for sure hehe.
    オタク

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3ak
    So both APW chips are the correct ones. I just got my soldering stuff, will try the mods now too. I havent done any voltmods for ages, so it wont look good, thats for sure hehe.
    Yes indeed, the one in the front is for Vgpu, the one in the back is for Vmem.

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    I solderd a 20K VR to the mem and 10K to the GPU. Hopefully thats not too much. I knew what I was doing finiding the right pins, but with the parallel VR I have no idea what exactly that APW chip does with it.

Edit: OK it works like a charm.
    I am making a resistance-voltage table during the testing process.
    I am testing 03 for now and 800 on mem just passed the test. I was limited to 777 before with that card. Everytime I tried 780+ it crashed during 03 started.
    Will test whats the max with currfent settings, its too dark to get the card out of the case for measurements
    Thanks for the help given. I had a look at the datasheets and measured a lot, but I need to make sure I have a 99% of success and the help given above and from S_A_V and Big_Sam was great.
    Last edited by Fr3ak; 09-09-2006 at 02:04 PM.
    オタク

I am Xtreme
    I used 50K vr's, so I have to turn and twist more to have the correct voltage

By the way, I'll make a good screenshot with the voltmods and the reading points.

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    I have made a lot of pics too. Will upload them latet today.
    Going from 1.16V to 1.2V made my card run at 750 instead of 700, but I am gettin slowdowns past 720mhz. The ram on the card was a dud and only did 777mhz with default voltage and with 2.03V it runs 790Mhz.
    Now I wish I didnt sell the card with the best mem. That one did 830mhz for benching, but 585Mhz on the core kept crashing :/
    But from the tests I ran core speed has a bigger influence to performance than mem speed.
    オタク

I am Xtreme
    I have made a lot of pics too. Will upload them latet today.
    Going from 1.16V to 1.2V made my card run at 750 instead of 700, but I am gettin slowdowns past 720mhz. The ram on the card was a dud and only did 777mhz with default voltage and with 2.03V it runs 790Mhz.
    Now I wish I didnt sell the card with the best mem. That one did 830mhz for benching, but 585Mhz on the core kept crashing :/
    But from the tests I ran core speed has a bigger influence to performance than mem speed.
    looks like the core really loves more volts

slowdowns are because of the extra volts or does the card get too hot ?

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    None of both.
    Dont know why. Happens to all cards I have.
    When the core is too much overclocked it freezes, but after 10-40s it continues. I have max temps of 61C with 1.23V and it happens most times at the same scenes.
    オタク

I am Xtreme
    None of both.
    Dont know why. Happens to all cards I have.
    When the core is too much overclocked it freezes, but after 10-40s it continues. I have max temps of 61C with 1.23V and it happens most times at the same scenes.
    I've had the same problems with one card at 555 MHz. core

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    For example, the card I am running now can run at 760Mhz, maybe even more, but I get a lot of slowdowns. Only 736.5Mhz runs all tests ok.
    All video cards I had so far simply crashed when overclocked too much. Maybe if its unstable it resets itself to stock clocks or something to compute the same thing. No idea. Will watch it running Rivatuner to display all clocks after F1.
    It happens most of the time at the same scenes which might be a cause that some instructions make the card instable at too high clocks.
    オタク

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast