Thread: Kentsfield suffers bandwidth woes

Kentsfield suffers bandwidth woes

source here

AS WE NOTED here, the chaps at Xtremesystems have been showing off a sample of Intel’s Kentsfield Quad Core processor, presumably made available early to manufacturers in order to validate their motherboards.

At default speed, the 2.4GHz part impressively outperforms the Conroe, even one running at 4GHz in multithreaded apps, such as Cinebench, and overclocks to 3.2GHz without problems – one hell of an achievement for an early sample, especially since all four CPU cores have to be capable of running at this speed.

However looking at the benchmarks reveals evidence of the dreaded bus saturation – AMD’s justification for direct connect. With two cores, the two products are fed with similar amounts of data, but moving up to four cores AMD’s solution scales up better.

Even with the logistical nightmare of AMD’s architecture (you need at least four DIMMs to deliver the best performance) it is a big advantage.

Compare Kentsfield to AMD's 4x4: on a 1066MHz bus the Intel socket has 8.5GB/s available. This isn’t a problem for dual core chips, but stick two Conroes onto a module, then bandwidth drops to a miserly 2.1GB/s per core – the equivalent of just one stick of DDR266, and with higher latency!

So here’s the killer – each 4x4 core will receive over three times the bandwidth of its Kentsfield equivalent.

The evidence of this is in the performance of SuperPi 1M, seen as a benchmark that largely fits in 2MB cache and doesn’t depend heavily on bandwidth. Run four copies, though, and each takes 20% longer than if two copies had been run on a Conroe of the same speed: 25.3 seconds compared to 21 seconds.

So what’s causing this problem? Our theory is that a strength of the core, the intelligent prefetchers, are getting in each other’s way, saturating the bus, and increasing the latency to RAM. Move to a more bandwidth-hungry application and the problem will surely just get worse.

This is a problem not shared by a Conroe as there is only one bus interface (including the pre-fetcher), shared between the two cores. Likewise a dual Woodcrest doesn’t suffer, because of the two independent buses.

But in context, this is still very impressive stuff. While AMD’s 4x4 platform will certainly offer an advantage in this area it may not be enough to hand the ultimate quad core performance crown to the boys in green until rev H hits, but if many other apps are 20 per cent slower per thread on Kentsfield than on Conroe, then it will make things a lot closer.

YouTube Addict
    Hehehehe
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Addict
    am I the only one here thinking - "mmm, 2 AMD quad-core K8L's in '4x4' platform"....i bet not
    Athlon XP-M 2500+ 0343MPMW The King is Dead!
    Phenom II X6 1090T 1025GPMW Long Live the King!

-------------------------------------------
    I'm from the church of the operating room

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry, didn't see comarision to 2-way dual core opteron here. What is the performance degradation (if any) on the four cores of opteron running four instances of superpi?

Xtreme Addict
    yeah i gotta say, the benchies form coolalaer and hocook didnt seem that impressive at all, a higher clock conroe like 3.9 Ghz can probably smake that easily

but i do expect applications to be optimized for quad core or even 8 cores , 16 cores .... at that time, kentsfield will be much better
    E6600 @ 3.6
    IN9 32x MAX
    EVGA 8800Ultra
    750W

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VulgarHandle
    am I the only one here thinking - "mmm, 2 AMD quad-core K8L's in '4x4' platform"....i bet not
    what apps are you guys running that you all need these quad core systems so soon?

which part of "it's slower" don't you get? you would be 400x better off getting the dual core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket
    Erm, its a little weird how a lot of peeps dont have a case for their PC.....essentially thats a cheat because in a case things always run hotter, yet ppl will claim their OC "stable"

Sorry, in my book nothing is valid unless its in a case, and hence, a "normal" environment, by all means go nuts on cooling not a problem, but an open top setup with an OC ppl claim to be stable when in all reality inside a PC it probably won't be? Thats just unacceptable to me.

Xtreme Cruncher
    once the 45nm 4 core 1 die shared L1 comes out those problems will be gone and it will be the sweatest!!!!!!!
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Qkjhfhaiguihfma
    what apps are you guys running that you all need these quad core systems so soon?
    minesweeper

seriously though, i'm a benchmark junky, and multi-tasking(tv recording/music editing/photoshop/gaming....)
    Athlon XP-M 2500+ 0343MPMW The King is Dead!
    Phenom II X6 1090T 1025GPMW Long Live the King!

-------------------------------------------
    I'm from the church of the operating room

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Qkjhfhaiguihfma

which part of "it's slower" don't you get? you would be 400x better off getting the dual core.

Flooding, Raytracing, Photoshopping, MULTITASKING (5 to 10 progs at the same time is quite normal for me ), Video Editing, Small Servers, etc.

We need more processing POWER all the time
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    Hehehehe
    Somtimes you make me wounder!
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosfer@tu
    Somtimes you make me wounder!
    Wonder what? Can't a guy have a good laugh after being proven right AGAIN.
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Xtreme Addict
    E6600 @ 3.6
    IN9 32x MAX
    EVGA 8800Ultra
    750W

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by theteamaqua
    no it will not, infact it will increase bandwidth requirements even farther.