Thread: OK, Intel guys, beat this! :)

Hybrid View

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by knopflerbruce View Post
    They do overclock alot worse than regular desktop chips, though. I ran them folding stable at 3.6GHz/1.15v for a long time (hot summer days included), but going higher was difficult - mostly because of the insane power draw (1250W, but peaks at 1300W+, causing my EPS cables to melt...). I have a feeling 4 GHz could be possible, unless something self ignites at 1.4+v :p Need a PAIR of ax1500i's for that project... Some PROPER EPS cables, and I wish I could add one more EPS connector to the board The free "slot" is not for power, someone at SM said when I asked if this was possible.
    As you say, there is a power supply problem. The CPUs themselves seem capable of the higher speeds, but limitations with the power supply itself and with the VRMs on a server board that were never intended to push that much current are the limiting factor. You are running four CPUs...running a dual CPU system shouldn't draw nearly as much power through the EPS cables and this issue should be far less of a concern than with a quad configuration. For those who want to run one high core count CPU on a Rampage V Extreme-caliber board, a highly overclocked 18-core wouldn't be a real problem for the board or it's power delivery system (as long as a decent power supply is used). While the CPU won't break any clock speed records, it should still be able to get with a few hundred MHz of a chip with fewer cores (I'm guessing at around 4GHz for an 18-core CPU while maintaining decent power draw levels and thermals).

My $0.02....
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by lutjens View Post
    As you say, there is a power supply problem. The CPUs themselves seem capable of the higher speeds, but limitations with the power supply itself and with the VRMs on a server board that were never intended to push that much current are the limiting factor. You are running four CPUs...running a dual CPU system shouldn't draw nearly as much power through the EPS cables and this issue should be far less of a concern than with a quad configuration. For those who want to run one high core count CPU on a Rampage V Extreme-caliber board, a highly overclocked 18-core wouldn't be a real problem for the board or it's power delivery system (as long as a decent power supply is used). While the CPU won't break any clock speed records, it should still be able to get with a few hundred MHz of a chip with fewer cores (I'm guessing at around 4GHz for an 18-core CPU while maintaining decent power draw levels and thermals).

My $0.02....
    You're sort of right with the EPS argument, however the two SM 1P G34 boards I know of only have a single 8 pin EPS connector. It helps a little bit, but not enough :p When/if there are 2P unlocked xeons on the marked I hope the mobos come with at least 3x EPS connectors, or maybe 2x 8pin EPS + 2x 6/8pin GPU power connectors dedicated to the CPUs. That'll be needed when pushing the limits... 18 cores on RVE will be easy :p 2x 8pin EPS for just one CPU is plenty.
    --->TeamPURE<---