Apologies for my tardiness guys, I've been a bit busy doing further research on this.

I need to make some small amendments after reading your posts and doing my further research. It seems I have a wasted band that I chose and that would be the 50Hz band. The speakers response range starts @ 85Hz so anything below that is kind of wasted. Here are the full specs on the speakers (as I know them).

So the new bands are 120Hz, 480Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz, 12kHz (5 band) + 240Hz and 8KHz (7 band). I also realized that an on-off switch is more or less pointless but I will need to keep the volume control.

Quote Originally Posted by Holst View Post
You should be able to buy kits that will get you 80% there. Then its just about packaging it up in the correct way and wiring it all together.
Radioshack should have a kit for the amp.
As for the equaliser thats a bit more tricky but something like this - http://www.quasarelectronics.com/sma...-equaliser.htm should work ok.

Personally I would take the easier route by finding something that already does what you want (car stereo, or audio seperate) and then remove the parts I want and repackage them.
A look through the RS site didn't reveal any kind of amp kit, only this, which seems a bit under powered and uses 9V.

That link to the Eq is neat, too bad it's mono. It did give me some ideas so I did some further searching to see if I could find something a bit more useful. I did find some links I need to read a bit more completely.

As for repackaging something already available, most everything is either too expensive or has a fair amount of extra crap that I would need to figure out how to get rid of yet keep all the functionality in tact which is kind of beyond my current skillset. I also happen to have beside me a Pyrimid 10 band, 200W Geq (that has now for some inexplicable reason, just crapped out on me[no smoke]) that I could have done this with but when I opened it. . .well. . .lets just say it isn't pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_Seraphi View Post
Tbh you are going to want a 30 watt amp at least! Otherwise you will run into clipping quite easily and that can damage speakers.

Depth may be an issue for the filtering caps and any reason you want it in your computer?
This is for a portable MP3 server, so the emphasis is on being 100% complete, portable and compact. Normally, I wouldn't bother going this far for something like this because WMP has a pretty decent Eq already and there are a host of third party software Eq's as well but, there is my problem, this isn't going to be a windows system. It's going to be a Ubuntu system and from looking around, there is only 1 half way decent music player that has a Eq built in and it's a bit flaky from the little bit I've been playing with it. During my writing this post, I just discovered another Linux music player (Banshee) that seems a bit better than the one I had found (Audacious) but I still like the idea of doing this via hardware better yet.

In the course of my research, I found this amp that I may have access through a couple local outlets, would this be a better choice? The case I'm using is aluminum so I could substitute that for their heatsink thereby making the unit much smaller for it to be stuck somewhere out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post
Scythe makes an ~8Wx2ch integrated amp that'll fit inside a 3.5" bay. It's the Kama Bay AMP mini.

Anyways; choose an appropriate amp for your speakers. That of course will depend a lot on their nominal load and efficiency. High-efficiency speakers don't necessarily need big amps, but you won't get far with small amps on low-efficiency speakers.
That Scythe is also sitting beside me ATM. With the speakers I'm using, they cut out around 60% knob volume (with WMP and Realtek HD Audio manager cranked up). The unit is also too big (even stripped down) to be of any use.