Thread: Alphacool AP1510 Pump on the Test Bench

Hybrid View

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Yeah, I've been thinking about a good scientific method for determining heat dump. You could do with with flow rate and temp in/out, but I think that's just too small a number to accurately capture. I'm thinking about measuring temperature change of a determined volume of water but not sure on the setup yet.
    Yeah, I think you could get a good measurement by taking a fixed amount of water such as 1 gallon and running it for a set amount of time in a fixed ambient temperature and then calculate heat dump based on the temperature rise vs. heat dissipation. You would have to heat the water up and then let it cool back down to calculate its dissipation though I think.

My boss used to teach thermodynamics at UCLA a long while ago so I am sure that I could get some methods and equations from him if you want.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post
    Yeah, I think you could get a good measurement by taking a fixed amount of water such as 1 gallon and running it for a set amount of time in a fixed ambient temperature and then calculate heat dump based on the temperature rise vs. heat dissipation. You would have to heat the water up and then let it cool back down to calculate its dissipation though I think.

My boss used to teach thermodynamics at UCLA a long while ago so I am sure that I could get some methods and equations from him if you want.

Yeah, I know it's a simple matter of getting unit's straight using the heat capacity of water.

Water has a heat capacity of 4.184 J cm-3 K-1, so it should just be a matter of solving the units over to watts and time, gallons, and Celcius. Maybe I'll make a quick run on this pump before I send it back and just measure temperature change over a unit time along with the volume.

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Yeah, I know it's a simple matter of getting unit's straight using the heat capacity of water.

Water has a heat capacity of 4.184 J cm-3 K-1, so it should just be a matter of solving the units over to watts and time, gallons, and Celcius. Maybe I'll make a quick run on this pump before I send it back and just measure temperature change over a unit time along with the volume.
    If you can cook as well I will marry you

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I did a heat dump test, I just havn't figured out my specific heat units. Someone want to help me with this?

Tested at 18.0V at 2.0GPM, so the pump consumption was 24.84 watts so the heat dump should be less than that, I would think somewhere between 50 to 75% of that.
    My results:

Volume = 2,440 ml = 2,440 grams of H20
    Temperature change over 1 hour = 5.87 degrees C rise

I know this is all you need to figure out watts of heat dump, but my head is congested today.