Thread: New IC7 (may others) Vmod, hipro have a look :)

Xtreme Member

New IC7 (may others) Vmod, hipro have a look :)

Hi,

I've come up with another mod for IC7 mobo's, not covered in hipro's guide.

One of the problems with vddr mod's is that most motherboards derive their ddr voltage from the 3.3v rail - this means that the maximum stable voltage you can normally get with a mod is about 3.2v.

The current solution for this is to mod the psu sense wire so that you can increase the 3.3v rail to say 3.7v - which is all well and good and does work fairly well.....but there is a problem:

The 3.3v rail supplies more than just the ddr regulators - it supplies numerous chips on the mobo; the PLL FSB chip, the southbridge, the AGP regulator etc.

Increasing the 3.3v rail tends to heat those up quite a bit (hence hipro's need to put heatsinks on the pll chip and the AGP regulator mosfets) and i've found when the 3.3v rail is above 3.6v ish it actually decreases stability (and that AGP mosfet on the ic7 turns into an inferno).

The proper way to solve this problem is to give JUST the vddr regulator mosfets a higher voltage - whilst leaving the 3.3v rail alone. The easiest (altho its hardly an easy mod) is to supply the ddr mosfets from the 5v rail.

To do this you will need to disconnect them from the 3.3v supply (which is actually supplied via another mosfet...more on that in a sec).....Pictures below are the mod i did on my ic7-g, the same mod should work on ic7 and max3 boards:

As you can see the mosfet needs to be desoldered and lifted up to disconnect the back of the mosfet from the mobo - then i simply soldered wires from them direct to the 5v connections on the ATX connector on the back of the board. Finally i added a thermally conductive insulating pad so i could push the mosfets back down, without them shorting back to the 3.3v line they were connected to.

I also added some heatsinks to the mosfets as they no longer fully dissipate thru the mobo - and also get much hotter when on the 5v supply as they have to drop more voltage (after all the w83303d ddr and agp supply is just a linear regulator, not a switching type)

This mod works very well and has made a significant improvement on my stability above 255mhz cas 2, 5-2-2 speeds with my 1gb of xms3500. Atm im rock solid at 260mhz and will be pushing for more All this with my 3.3v back to normal without toasting my other mobo components

Btw, for hipro and other hardcore vmod makers, i mentioned earlier that the 3.3v supplied to the DDR mosfets actually comes from another mosfet - for those with the data sheet for the w83303d who r looking at the application circuit, please note that ABIT deviated somewhat from that schematic and decided to supply many other chips from the '3.3vDual' output - which i found out when i simply tried to reroute the 5v there instead....the PLL chip and southbridge got toasty lol. Unfortunately the only safe way to do this mod is as above and disconnect both vddr mosfets from that 3.3vDual source and connect em direct to 5v.

great mod guy! gonna have to try it out..

Xtreme Member
    Check this out, have a guess what it is

Xtreme Enthusiast
    uhm its acut out part from a Asus board... what is it doing for you?
    Overclocking made in Austria

Xtreme Member
    Tis from a ABIT KG7

Im using it to replace the vddr circuitry on my IC7, ie power my ram.

The onboard linear regulators are struggling to give a smooth supply when vddr is at 3.5v or higher, the above 5V mod helps some, but it puts even more strain on the linear regulator - ie it has to dump more power to regulate down from 5v......The section of board above is a switching regulator, i've modified it a bit to supply high current and be adjustable, i'll be soldering it to my ic7 mobo shortly

Xtreme Member
    Here it is attached \o/

Its working really well, the ripple and line noise has gone from 100mv to 50mv....the mosfets on the supply board arn't even warm when im running prime95....unlike the ones that were on the mobo, which were way too hot to touch.

266Mhz cas 2 5-3-2 is looking prime stable, gonna push for more.....

Xtreme Mentor
    Now thats an Xtreme Mod. Good job.

Keep us updated on how things progress.

I like my women the way I like my processors...naked.
    I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.

Xtreme Member
    Froudeg, ur crazy bro. Simply crazy. NJ :P

-CaT
    Send Me Your Broken Hardware! - Repair Parts and vMod Research!
    Need vMods? PM Me!

Xtreme Addict
    Great work fraudeg!!!
    My full moded ic7 needs more vdim power ("only" 3.38V) and I was looking for some safe way to feed vdim with the 5v line for a while.
    BTW, my kingston BH-5 are a really volt yunkies they only do 248 with 3.38v

c[_]
    Have you considered building a second unit to power VTT?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Recruit
    Excelente guide, i think I´ll try it on an ic7 next week...
    I´ve been loking for w83303d´s dathaseet, but I haven´t found it yet, I wonder if you can send it to me by mail.

XS Intel News & D²OL enhanced
    wooo thats dawn crazy man

Xtreme Member
    your mod works great with my nf7s...
    learn A.K.A JP

I am Xtreme
    care to explain learn?

Xtreme Mentor
    how did you desolder the mosfets?

can you see the light? is it shining too bright? can you see the light at the end of the tunnel, i know i do, i know its true.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    insane... nice work

Xtreme Addict
    Very nice, hipro would be proud - it's amazing to see the DC power knowledge in this forum and what can be done to improve upon motherboard engineering, and this is a great example . . .
    Want your news on the front page? Click here!

Kin Hell
    Wicked stuff for sure, but are the mobo designers reading this stuff?

Educating them would enhance their products & tickle "us" Punters.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    care to explain learn?
    unsolder the vddr's mosfet, solder a big wire to the mosfet's drain, re-solder the 2 small pins, DO NOT connect the mosfet's drain to the +3.3! (solder the mosfet like the froudeg's pics) connect the wire to the 5v line.
    voila

Quote Originally Posted by blinky
    how did you desolder the mosfets?
    i've used a torch, but it's xtreme!
    use a good soldering iron,(if it's hard to unsolder the mosfet, add a little solder to the mosfet (better conductivity with the mosfet and the soldering iron)

my english sucks, sorry

edit: i've used an old 8rda's vcore mosfet for this mod, and add an heatsink to the mosfet.
    Last edited by Learn; 01-06-2005 at 12:28 PM.
    learn A.K.A JP

Xtreme Recruit
    Has anyone tried or seen this type of mod done for a P4C800-E?
    Cheers.
    Go! Go! Go!!

nice mod