CPU Intel i5 2500K @ 4500mhz
    Mobo Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
    Video Cards Sapphire 5850
    PSU Silverstone ST75F Strider 750W
    Hard Drive OCZ Solid 3 60GB | OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Samsung 103SJ's 4TB
    Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 | 1 Yate Loon D12SM 120MM

Xtreme Member
    Finished the vmod, everything went well, I used a 1k Trimpot (Attached to the PCI) and used the wire to get steady (Mosfet).

That way I can turn the Trimpot all the way up to 3.2 vdimm, without the worry of xxxxxucking up the soldering

Last edited by Netto; 08-14-2003 at 10:13 PM.

Since the r50 resistor is close to 0-1 ohm...can i just like solder another 1k VR on top of the r50 resistor and adjust the resistance? Does this work or i still need to remove the r50 resistor?

Originally posted by Scallywhag
    Since the r50 resistor is close to 0-1 ohm...can i just like solder another 1k VR on top of the r50 resistor and adjust the resistance? Does this work or i still need to remove the r50 resistor?
    if you solder a 1K VR on top of the R50 resistance you would be placing the R50 and VR in parallel, thus the effective reistance will be less than the smallest of the parallel pair i.e less than that of R50 and therefore nothing will be gained.
    He who asks is a fool for 15 minutes, he who does'nt remains a fool forever.

Thanx for the reply Pita.!!!

Thumbs up Excellent Thread----Thank you!

I'm brand new to the board but all I can say is------You guys are AWESOME!

Just finished the mod and it went like clockwork. I now have a nice 2.95 VDIMM when the bios is set to 2.8. It really brought some fire back into my older spec RAM and I increased my 1:1 overclock by 9 mghtz.

I used a little bit different technique to unsolder the R50 resistor. Call it the two gun-----or------2 soldering iron method.

I used two 15W soldering irons that I let heat up for at least 15 minutes. Then, I just placed a tip at each end of the resistor and when the solder turned to liquid----I just lifted the resistor off the board pinched between the two iron's tips.

This left most of the solder nicely on each pad so I didn't have to worry about losing the pad. I added a small drop of solder on each pad just to assist in more easily soldering the wires.

I epoxied the trimmer onto the top of an IDE connection in order to be able to get to it easily.

Fired up the machine and with Hardware Doctor open-----used the trimmer to adjust the VDIMM. I turned the screw VERY slowly so as to not get any big jumps in voltage.

GREAT mod!!! Afraid you fellas have given me the itch. Now I'll probably HAVE to mod every board I ever own. See pics below and thanks again-----John :thumbsup:

I did this mod a little different. I was able to acomplish this mod with no direct soldering to the board, using smd grabbers, a 1K variable resistor, and a flathead screwdriver.

First I took a flathead screwdriver and worked the R50 resistor loose, like nycundaground had done. After the R50 resistor was off I began soldering my connections. I took one smd grabber and soldered a wire to it and soldered the other end of the wire to the outside leg of my resistor. Next I took another SMD grabber and soldered a wire to it and then soldered the other end of the wire to the middle leg of my resistor. After my soldering was done I took the SMD grabber attached to the outer leg of my resistor and attached it to the 4th leg down on the winbond chip next to the R50 resistor, like Tedinde had done. I then took the SMD grabber attached to the middle leg of my resistor and attached it to the outer leg of the mosfet directly to the right of the winbond chip, like Nohto had mentioned in his post on page 7.

Im not sure if I would recommend my method, but it worked for me.

EDIT: Well it turns out i did have to soler directly to my board. The 4th leg on the winbond chip actually broke off (they are very fragile). There was still a little of the leg left, which i soldered too. Amazingly the board still works fine.
    Last edited by n6b72g; 08-20-2003 at 05:41 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great Job guys!! on the vdimm mods. Ic7-G is sitting in my closet for now, until i get a coolermaster case which will be used as backup pc.

E6600 SL9S8 Malay
    ASUS P5W64( no mods )
    Mushkin (2 x 1GB) XP2-6400
    ATI x850xt
    2 x 150GB WD Raptor RAID
    Thermalright Ultra-120
    SilverStone ST56ZF 560W

Xtreme Member
    This vmod is next in line for me. Great job on those vmods guys.
    Heatware:http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=24651

Xtreme Member
    Guys,

Excellent thread with great instructions. Too bad I screwed mine anyway: http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...450#post522450.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but what about a P4C800-E as a replacement? Looks like the Vmod on that one is easier/solderless?

P.S. If you're thinking of this mod and are too cheap to buy the necessary materials, let me know and I'll send you my nicely soldered and wrapped pot and leads!
    Last edited by Mike Donatello; 08-21-2003 at 06:45 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well i think the vdimm on Pc4800-e is easier because your dealing with more solder space. In the Ic7-g, your confined to those little 2 spots for soldering whereas for the p4c800-e, you have 2 legs to solder it to.

E6600 SL9S8 Malay
    ASUS P5W64( no mods )
    ATI x850xt
    2 x 150GB WD Raptor RAID
    Thermalright Ultra-120
    SilverStone ST56ZF 560W

sorry i am new in this forum, getting more voltaje you can increase more the FSB of the MOBO? what are the avdvantages to increase more the voltaje of the VDIMM?

Thanks a lot

Xtreme Member
    Thanks. I think that if I get the Asus board as a replacement I will do the mod with grabbers instead of solder. I can solder everything else away from the board, but after this expensive mistake I don't want to develop my soldering skills any more irght now.

Xtreme Guru
    Is there any other way of doing the vmem mod without removing R50 ?

Xtreme Member
    i am going to do the v-mod verry soon and put my geil golden dragon on 3.2v , but what is the best v-mod and what to use ?

thanx allready

Xtreme Member
    yea, i dont want the risk to f*ck my board again with the r50 resistor .. so ill just wait till a other solution
    Intel Pentium D 920 - Asus P5WD2 Premium - 2x2GB OCZ PC2 5400 - XFX GeForce 7600GT - 2x Seagate 250GB

Originally posted by NapalmV5
    no. If you leave R50 in place, there will always be ZERO resistance, and no way to ADD resistance to a dead short without removing the dead short.
    Abit IC7-MAX3 Pentium 4 2.4c @ 3.4Ghz
    Kingston HyperX pc3500 @ 3.1v 2/2/2/6, 5:4
    9500 pro @ ~360/300
    Antec TrueControl 550
    DD RBX/Maze4 GPU/Z-chip/Mag-3
    Revo 7.1/WD Raptor 74 Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by NapalmV5
    Yea its called buying the Max3

E6600 SL9S8 Malay
    ASUS P5W64( no mods )
    ATI x850xt
    2 x 150GB WD Raptor RAID
    Thermalright Ultra-120
    SilverStone ST56ZF 560W

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    I just HAVE to post this cos I receive a lot of PMs about the Vmem modd and I'll post here so as to be seen.........

The VTT is a bit dificult cos a trace HAS to be cut.....So we leave it........

The whole Vmem thread on IC7 Mobo is WRONG......It's based on trick the winbond chip to read less Vmem and on it's output give more........It wants some mamperes to work right......With ONLY one resistor and a BIG one(330 Ohms) you drop it's "reading" voltage BUT you DON'T feed it with the current it wants so as to work properly......The secret is : Unsolder the R50 resistor and on it's place solder a 10 Ohms(ten Ohms) resistor......Now on the left side of the resistor of the 10 Ohms,the side that is close to winbond chip,you SOLDER a trimmer of 220 or 200 or 330 Ohms to GROUND.........After soldering it you take a multimeter and you put it in Ohms reading.......You trim the trimmer so us to show you it's max resistence....You'll NOT see 330 Ohms(in case of a 330 trimmer....You'll see about 70 Ohms.......If I remember well.....Boot up and you'll mesure with a 200 Ohms trimmer about 2.73Vmem........You can now trim it slowly and you can get Vmem as much is your 3.3Volts line minus .12Volts......Example.....IF your 3.3Volts line is 3.4Volts , you'll get about 3.28Vmem.........and so on......If you modd your PSU at 3.6Volts , you can get as high as 3.48Vmem..........With this modd you do NOT have to worry IF your mobo is going to start or not cos with the way the Vmem modd is done(with the 330 Ohms resistor in R50's place) is wrong........With this Modd It'll start........Good luck.........

Last edited by hipro5; 09-01-2003 at 02:04 PM.
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by hipro5
    ........Good luck.........
    Thanks Hipro Now it makes sence and this was just the mod i was looking for Althoug Tom already told me what to do

Modify already done mod

Hip-------OK----got mine done the "wrong way" and never had a boot issue----but I'm only going as high as 3.0 VDIMM.

If I wanted to easly fix it to your way:

I'd just snip off the 1k trimmer at the end of the wires I already have soldered into the R50 pads and solder in a 10 ohm resistor to the end of the two wires.

Then add the trimmer to the wire closest to the winbond chip----middle pin to ground and an outside leg to the wire closest to the Winbond chip. (or is it the other way around)?

With multimeter----trim the trimmer to max resistance.

Boot-----use Winbond Hardware doctor to see what your VDIMM is.

Trim to the desired VDIMM.

Have I got it right??

This way I don't have to unsolder any wires from the R50 pads.

Any problems with VTT when you hit say 3.1 or 3.2 VDIMM???

John

I don't get it. I have mine done the way which you claim is "wrong", but it works and I've adjusted up to 3.1volts for my vdimm.

What is wrong? why does it work if its wrong, and if its not really working what is actually happening?
    Abit IC7-MAX3 Pentium 4 2.4c @ 3.4Ghz
    Kingston HyperX pc3500 @ 3.1v 2/2/2/6, 5:4
    9500 pro @ ~360/300
    Antec TrueControl 550
    DD RBX/Maze4 GPU/Z-chip/Mag-3
    Revo 7.1/WD Raptor 74 Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I also have it modded the wrong way and it does 3.25V easily without any problems.

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Guys.....mesure the Vmem(Vdim) with a multimeter and don't trust the Winbond hardware monitor to do that for you...........

When you have to get more Vmem out of it and you trimm the trimmer to do so(in case of a trimmer in R50's place),you get some more Vmem more......When you shut down your computer and after you restart....NO BOOT.....You have to trimm the trimmer backwords so as to get less Vmem so as to start the Mobo.After the Mobo starts, you have to trimm again so as to get the Vmem the Volts it was.......With my way the Mobo starts immediatly as it was before with the Vmem you have picked.......

I don't care if you do the excisting Modd or mine.....Do whatever you like........It's up to you.......
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers

Re: Modify already done mod

Originally posted by johnrr6
    Hip-------OK----got mine done the "wrong way" and never had a boot issue----but I'm only going as high as 3.0 VDIMM.

IF you try to get more Volts(mV) out of it , your Mobo will not start

If I wanted to easly fix it to your way:

I'd just snip off the 1k trimmer at the end of the wires I already have soldered into the R50 pads and solder in a 10 ohm resistor to the end of the two wires.

Then add the trimmer to the wire closest to the winbond chip----middle pin to ground and an outside leg to the wire closest to the Winbond chip. (or is it the other way around)?

You can leave your 1K trimmer as is and unsolder the midle pin of it from the wire that it goes at R50's place.....The midle wire goes to Ground...The ather pin of the trimmer MUST be on the left side of R50 which is close to Winbond chip......Now you can solder a 10 Ohms resistor to the pin of the trimmer WITH the wire witch goes to Winbond chip and it's other end to the wire which comes from the other pad of the R50,the one close to a Mos-fet.....

With multimeter----trim the trimmer to max resistance.

Yes

Boot-----use Winbond Hardware doctor to see what your VDIMM is.

Best way is to use a multimerer to mesure the Vmem cos Winbond hardware monitor "shows" as it wishes.....

Trim to the desired VDIMM.

Yes

Have I got it right??

Yes

This way I don't have to unsolder any wires from the R50 pads.

You are right

Any problems with VTT when you hit say 3.1 or 3.2 VDIMM???

John

No problems at all......The only problem is that when you trimm to get more Vmem,then the VTT will be lower than the half of the Vmem.......Problem with this is that if you want to pick over 3.35Vmem,and your VTT is about 1.4Volts,your ram will be in a lower frequency than it would have been with the VTT at half of Vmem .......
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast