Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Evga Voltage Tuner

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    Can this be done with nibitor or some other bios editor?
    Not as far as I can tell.
    You need a professional VGA BIOS editor to perform these modifications.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by DMH View Post
    [/B]

Looks like voltage mod by software is actually possible
    Does this mean that I could use RT to bump up my memory voltage, too?

Thanks BenchZowner, looks like Ill be using software. I do not trust myself and my crappy radioshack soldering iron to voltmod my GTX280.

Xtreme Addict
    Jeez, that was easy... took me all of 15 minutes to figure out how to modify my GTX 280 with RivaTuner to run at 1.19v (1.20 input) reading by monitor, versus the 1.04 stock. Thanks for reposting that post, I never thought of looking in the source there.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    Jeez, that was easy... took me all of 15 minutes to figure out how to modify my GTX 280 with RivaTuner to run at 1.19v (1.20 input) reading by monitor, versus the 1.04 stock. Thanks for reposting that post, I never thought of looking in the source there.
    Maybe you could share with us what you did?
    Proud owner of an iPhone3G 16G White

SpiTweaker by Monteboy,try it

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by DMH View Post
    Maybe you could share with us what you did?

Xtreme Addict
    EDIT: Testing instructions fully, I made an error in here and will repost shortly.
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 01-23-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Since all GTX 280's have the same IC allowing software to change core voltage then this tool will eventually be available for all cards not just EVGA.. ie. Rivatuner
    i7 4770K (EK-HF)
    ASRock Z87 Professional Fatal1ty (BIOS L1.42)
    Trident X F3-2400C10D-8GTX
    GTX 480 SLI (Koolance NX-480) / E-MU 1212M / Antec Quattro 1.2kW / HP ZR30w / Lian Li 1010B
    Cooling; TFC Xchanger 240 & RX360 / 655 w/EK-Top V2 / Tygon / BP Compressions

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    EDIT: Testing instructions fully, I made an error in here and will repost shortly.
    Anxious to see new instructions!

But, why back up the BIOS? Does this actually modify the BIOS or something?
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Where did you get that plugin?
    Proud owner of an iPhone3G 16G White

SpiTweaker by Monteboy,try it

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    Anxious to see new instructions!

But, why back up the BIOS? Does this actually modify the BIOS or something?
    It should write to VT1140 I2C address space and modify the register/s responsible for setting the main VR output voltage. If you can read the voltage through I2C, and its not a read only register you can definitely write it no problems.

Goldentiger,

Sounds like you wrote up a simple little C++/ASM function to handle the voltage adjustments? If so cool mate Does changing the register affect all Performance Level voltages or just 3D Perf? Had a quick look over the VT1103 plugin source and looks like it wouldn't be hard at all to write a little tool to do it. I think I got the gist of the registers, 0x19 looks like it holds performance level value, 0x1c looks like the money man
    Last edited by mikeyakame; 01-23-2009 at 06:20 PM.

DFI LT-X48-T2R UT CDC24 Bios | Q9550 E0 | G.Skill DDR2-1066 PK 2x2GB |
    Geforce GTX 280 729/1566/2698 | Corsair HX1000 | Stacker 832 | Dell 3008WFP

Xtreme Member
    So when will this proggy be available ?
    i9 9900K/1080 Ti

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyakame View Post
    It should write to VT1140 I2C address space and modify the register/s responsible for setting the main VR output voltage. If you can read the voltage through I2C, and its not a read only register you can definitely write it no problems.

Goldentiger,

Sounds like you wrote up a simple little C++/ASM function to handle the voltage adjustments? If so cool mate Does changing the register affect all Performance Level voltages or just 3D Perf? Had a quick look over the VT1103 plugin source and looks like it wouldn't be hard at all to write a little tool to do it. I think I got the gist of the registers, 0x19 looks like it holds performance level value, 0x1c looks like the money man
    Heya,

I am using rivatuner's command-line functions to do it... just trying to get everything nailed down before I actually release instructions. I'm a beginning programmer, so I'm not really capable of writing such a thing myself yet .

All: I will release instructions once I have everything nailed down perfectly... I'm still fiddling a little but am getting close. I don't want people to fry their cards if I make an error.

EDIT: I need to learn to take better notes. In case you're wondering, the reason it's taking so long is that I calculated everything in my head, it worked, and now that I was going to document it I'm not making the calculations the same way I was doing them before somehow, resulting in the wrong registers . I've been trying to retrace my steps but haven't had a heaping bunch of luck so far. I'll keep at it, hopefully early tomorrow...
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 01-23-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks GT, looking forward to your guide..
    i7 4770K (EK-HF)
    ASRock Z87 Professional Fatal1ty (BIOS L1.42)
    Trident X F3-2400C10D-8GTX
    GTX 480 SLI (Koolance NX-480) / E-MU 1212M / Antec Quattro 1.2kW / HP ZR30w / Lian Li 1010B
    Cooling; TFC Xchanger 240 & RX360 / 655 w/EK-Top V2 / Tygon / BP Compressions

Xtreme Addict
    OK, I feel like an idiot now... stock GTX 280 voltage is 1.2v, correct? If that's the case, I didn't end up actually changing anything . Still, the basic procedure should be on-target, I just lack the actual address info and haven't had luck figuring it out yet. I will keep trying but here's what I've learned so others can try to dig through it too. Hopefully this results in something later either from me or someone else, and I apologize for the false hope offhand .

A few notes... 0x0a appears to be the address for the VT1165, which is what RivaTuner says the chip is on my 280. You can activate the voltage monitor under the plugins inside RivaTuner's monitoring section (open the plugin for VT1165 voltage monitor and add it to your window). The source code for the plugin is under the SDK folder in your rivatuner folder, which is where I was getting values from to test.

Other key values to look at are 0x19 and 0x1c as noted by Mikeyakame.

The source code for the plugin is at: C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner v2.22\SDK\Samples\Plugins\Monitoring\VT1103\
    (Your program path may vary) Source file is the VT1103.cpp, which includes functions for VT1103, VT1105, and VT1165. You'll need a basic understanding of C++ to get what it's doing.

You can dump the register data with: rivatuner.exe /i2cd
    You can read with: rivatuner.exe /ri<I2C_bus>,<I2C_device>,<reg>

Example: Bus 2, deviceID 37, reg 0x0a:
    rivatuner.exe /ri2,37,0x0a

To write, substitute the "r" for a "w", and add one more comma then the data to write (hex, 2-digits). example: rivatuner.exe /wi2,37,0x0a,7D ..... would write to bus2,device37,addressregister 0x0a,data written 7D

Here's what the guide was looking like... note this is the correct procedure, but it doesn't have the right values...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger
    Step 1: Decide what voltage you want.
    Step 2: Calculate said voltage at: http://www.easycalculation.com/decimal-converter.php by punching in the voltage you want (EXAMPLE: 1.20 = 78 for below XX)
    Step 3: Navigate to rivatuner's folder in your Program Files with a CMD prompt under START--->RUN---->cmd.exe (press enter)
    THEN TYPE: (DELETED)
    WHERE XX IS, YOU PUT YOUR #: I put the following command for 1.20 setting: (DELETED)
    Step 4: Shut down computer fully. Start back up, check voltage with VT plugin in RivaTuner hardware monitoring plugins.
    Your voltage should now be adjusted.
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 01-23-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Isnet this a bit like Gamer HUD?

Xtreme Mentor
    GoldenTiger, you are doing a great job! If you had the correct value in your head before, I'm sure it will "click" eventually

Err... if this is all possible with RivaTuner, then would it not be possible to also modify the memory voltage? Are there any other significant voltages that can be changed?

Oh, and I have to say I am a bit disappointed with unwinder. Not with the program, of course, it's free, and you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. But his attitude toward voltage adjustment. He could probably give us all the answers we need very easily, and even add voltage adjustment to the RT gui. The whole argument of "I don't want to be responsible for people killing their cards".

Err... this is XS. All you need is a disclaimer that you are not liable for any damages caused by the program, and you're good to go. And if you really feel bad about cards being killed ... just add explicit warning boxes or something that indicate the danger and possible damages that can occur with voltage adjustment. Obviously, if someone will still do it after seeing all that, then they clearly want to do it and understand the risks involved. I mean there are so many people that would love to see voltage adjustment in RivaTuner. Maybe even have it as a separate download or something, with explicit warnings.

I personally don't see how not wanting to be the cause of dead cards is a very strong argument... people will do what they want with their hardware, and you just have to live and let live. Hmm. Well I sure would donate money for RT if gui voltage adjustment was added, and I'm sure others would as well. That alone should indicate just how much people want it.

Sorry for the rambling post... I'm tired.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Addict
    ...and now everybody knows why I quit messing with that stuff years ago. The ammount of time you will spend trying to figure it out, you could've already had the mod done and working with just a basic understanding of electronics and soldering.

Then add to the fact that one mistake ina cmd line and you might accidentally...well, you could do anything to your card, and you might not be able to *undo* it. That's the achilles heel of a cmd line interface.

Then, let's assume you do manage to figure this all out and then find that the voltage bump did absolutely nothing for your clocks. Oh Joy! Now you get to undo it, and pick up all the hair you pulled out because it got you fire breathing mad. heh

I think I'll wait on EVGA and keep my card under warranty and step up, and continue to steer well clear of cmd lines. Bring it on EVGA we're waiting. Heck go ahead and send me a beta! I'm ready.

Oh, and I have to say I am a bit disappointed with unwinder. Not with the program, of course, it's free, and you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. But his attitude toward voltage adjustment.
    Before judging, please try to support the software with rather big community yourself.
    Yes, this is XS, but RT's user base is much much bigger than XS and not all users have good (or even minimum!) technical knowledge level. During the last 5 years RT was downloaded from the primary mirror almost 10.000.000 times and 5.000 - 15.000 users are joining RT community every day. And unfortunately 90% of these users are never reading any warnings/disclaimers, don't use built-in help and often tend to "tune" the system by enabling everything and dragging all sliders to the maximum. I really enjoyed supporting RT in the very beginning in 2000 because it was used mostly by enthusiasts and there were interesting technical discussions in support forums. But with the current user base size support transformed into real hell, most of questions were answered 100 times before or contain something like “I enabled something, now my system is working improperly, fix your crap”. Due to domination of such questions I had to shut down support via ICQ completely and also reduced support in Guru3D forums to minimum.
    So I'm sorry, but I definitively wouldn't like to make RT support more troublesome than it currently is. Even now I have to deal with users configuring the tool blindly then spreading "RT is crashing the systems, beware" in different forums. And I won't like to give new sharp axe like _easy_ voltage control to these users, sorry. That's my responsibility and my choice.

He could probably give us all the answers we need very easily, and even add voltage adjustment to the RT gui.
    Only those who think and ask get the answers I'm always glad to assist those who try to go beyond standard ideas and approaches. For example, a few months ago one Russian user was analyzing RivaTuner's VT1103 plugin code and got the idea of using it for voltmodding his AMD 4870. He got full assistance and and even published small article about it:

http://people.overclockers.ru/CoolCmd/record1

Also, during discussing the article in the forums I hinted that GTX200 series use absolutely the same VRM so these _public_ instructions can be used for voltmodding it. But it looks like there were no smart GTX 200 owners there.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
    Before judging, please try to support the software with rather big community yourself.
    Yes, this is XS, but RT's user base is much much bigger than XS and not all users have good (or even minimum!) technical knowledge level. During the last 5 years RT was downloaded from the primary mirror almost 10.000.000 times and 5.000 - 15.000 users are joining RT community every day. And unfortunately 90% of these users are never reading any warnings/disclaimers, don't use built-in help and often tend to "tune" the system by enabling everything and dragging all sliders to the maximum. I really enjoyed supporting RT in the very beginning in 2000 because it was used mostly by enthusiasts and there were interesting technical discussions in support forums. But with the current user base size support transformed into real hell, most of questions were answered 100 times before or contain something like “I enabled something, now my system is working improperly, fix your crap”. Due to domination of such questions I had to shut down support via ICQ completely and also reduced support in Guru3D forums to minimum.
    So I'm sorry, but I definitively wouldn't like to make RT support more troublesome than it currently is. Even now I have to deal with users configuring the tool blindly then spreading "RT is crashing the systems, beware" in different forums. And I won't like to give new sharp axe like _easy_ voltage control to these users, sorry. That's my responsibility and my choice.

Only those who think and ask get the answers I'm always glad to assist those who try to go beyond standard ideas and approaches. For example, a few months ago one Russian user was analyzing RivaTuner's VT1103 plugin code and got the idea of using it for voltmodding his AMD 4870. He got full assistance and and even published small article about it:

http://people.overclockers.ru/CoolCmd/record1

Also, during discussing the article in the forums I hinted that GTX200 series use absolutely the same VRM so these _public_ instructions can be used for voltmodding it. But it looks like there were no smart GTX 200 owners there.

Hey, hey, hey...

Let's be more positive here, please.. I know that you've been "burned" by all these forum noobs whining and flaming ya...

Well, I trust that you know that Rivatuner is probably by far the most popular "add-on" video card driver tool. It continues to rise in popularity despite your declining concern or support for answering these noobish complaints.

I mean, if I were you, I would not worry at all about including voltage adjustment stuff. It would only further boost Rivatuner's popularity, if anything. If Evga has the balls to do it, you probably have the balls too, right? God's law: Those balls shalt not whine!

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
    Then add to the fact that one mistake ina cmd line and you might accidentally...well, you could do anything to your card, and you might not be able to *undo* it. That's the achilles heel of a cmd line interface.

Then, let's assume you do manage to figure this all out and then find that the voltage bump did absolutely nothing for your clocks. Oh Joy! Now you get to undo it, and pick up all the hair you pulled out because it got you fire breathing mad. heh
    Sorry, but achiles heel of any is this comment is a lack of understanding of the process.
    VRM registers are not power independent and they are reverted to defaults after system reboot. You don't have to *undo* it, you just have to understand the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    Hey, hey, hey...

Let's be more positive here, please..
    Nothing negative, I just explained my motivation and POV on adding such features to RivaTuner's GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
    After reading this article I understand everything except how to find the address of the VRM registers. I think they can be found from the VT1103 source code but I am not good with C++. Would anyone happen to know the address of the VRM registers for a GTX 260? Is there is a way to find them besides looking at the C++ code?
    i7 930 @ 4.3GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|EVGA X58 SLI Classified|EVGA GTX 580 SLI|Intel X25-M G2 80GB + WD 1TB|6GB OCZ Platinum (3x2GB)|Antec TPQ 1200W|CM HAF 932|

Quote Originally Posted by justageek95 View Post
    After reading this article I understand everything except how to find the address of the VRM registers. I think they can be found from the VT1103 source code but I am not good with C++. Would anyone happen to know the address of the VRM registers for a GTX 260? Is there is a way to find them besides looking at the C++ code?
    Volterra VRMs are standartized I2C devices, so device/register addresses don't depend on display adpter model and are the same as in the article. The only difference between NV and AMD display adapters is that the VRM can be located at different I2C bus. But you can easily find desired bus by probing VRM address on all available buses, e.g.

RivaTuner.exe /ri0,70,1A /ri1,70,1A /ri2,70,1A /ri3,70,1A

It sould give you valid reading only at one bus. That's exactly what the plugin is doing - it is scanning all buses and trying to locate VRM on one of them.

/ri3,70,1A returned a value of 0a, the other buses returned invalid. If I understand correctly this should be the hexadecimal value for VID. This confuses me because if I use this formula:
    VID = (voltage - 0.45) / 0.0125
    I get an actual voltage of 0.575v

To test, I tried changing the value from 0a to 0b with this command:
    /wi3,70,1A,0b

But after running that if I read the value again it still shows 0a
    Last edited by justageek95; 01-24-2009 at 02:48 AM.
    i7 930 @ 4.3GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|EVGA X58 SLI Classified|EVGA GTX 580 SLI|Intel X25-M G2 80GB + WD 1TB|6GB OCZ Platinum (3x2GB)|Antec TPQ 1200W|CM HAF 932|

Quote Originally Posted by justageek95 View Post
    /ri3,70,1A returned a value of 0a, the other buses returned invalid. If I understand correctly this should be the hexadecimal value for VID. This confuses me because if I use this formula:
    VID = (voltage - 0.45) / 0.0125
    I get an actual voltage of 0.575v

To test, I tried changing the value from 0a to 0b with this command:
    /wi3,70,1A,0b

But after running that if I read the value again it still shows 0a
    Why do you try to write to register 1A instead of those mentioned in the article? Register 1A is a hardwired read-only VRM model identification register. Value 0A, which you read from this register is VT1165 Model ID, you cannot (and not supposed to) re-program it.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast