Thread: News: Notebook Maker Pledges to Make AMD Athlon 64 X2 Laptop

Xtreme Member

News: Notebook Maker Pledges to Make AMD Athlon 64 X2 Laptop

A United Kingdom-based notebook maker Rockdirect said this week it would release notebook computer with top-of-the-range ATI graphics as well as either dual-core, or flagship single-core microprocessor from Advanced Micro Devices. The machine is expected to be targeted at gamers or professionals who may need ultimate performance in portable form-factor.

“We have aimed to deliver a notebook that pushes the mobile PC’s performance to the limit and allows the user to experience performance only previously available in bulky desktops,” said Nick Boardman, Managing Director of rockdirect.

The Xtreme 64 notebook from rockdirect will feature either AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 or AMD Athlon 64 X2 chips and will integrate ATI Mobility RADEON X800 XT visual processing unit unveiled recently. The company declined to comment on other hardware to be used in the machine, but said that the notebook will be offered with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition as a free upgrade from Windows XP Professional.

Both AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 and AMD Athlon 64 X2 are desktop processors that dissipate over 100W of power and consume a lot of power, which is likely to limit battery time of the laptop. Still, usually such machines are used as a relatively portable replacement for desktop computers and, as a result, work using power outlet.

The company did not name the price or availability timeframe for its Xtreme 64 notebook, but said it would be “first to offer” such machine.

News Link

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Both AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 and AMD Athlon 64 X2 are desktop processors that dissipate over 100W of power and consume a lot of power, which is likely to limit battery time of the laptop. Still, usually such machines are used as a relatively portable replacement for desktop computers and, as a result, work using power outlet.
    This is quite true. And the laptop will get just as hot (if not hotter) than the P4 Prescott lappys. I think they should slap a Turion in there instead. Don't get me wrong, an FX processor would kickass in a laptop. But if you only can use it for like 1.5 hours on battery and it burns your lap, what's the point?
    Currently building my i7 920 rig
    i7 920 - Gigabyte x58-UD3R - 6GB Corsair DDR 1600
    GTX285 - Intel X25-M + 1.2TB - Watercooled