Thread: Is my PSU dead, or pretending?

Xtreme Member

Is my PSU dead, or pretending?

I bought this power supply which had been modded like the one here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=37574

THe wire in the middle of the trimmer on the 5v line comes off. I didn't notice until one night I'm OC'ing my FX55 and the computer shuts down. I've that the PSU got the thing plugged into a vapochill and the VP says that the PSU can't supply 9.5v (i think thats what it was) to the compressor. I unplug the vapo and just have the PSU plugged into the board. All the lights come on when I flip the switch but when I hit power, not a thing.

The PSU is a Antech TruePower 430 but not the same as the one modded.
    Vapochill XE
    DFI SLI-DR
    FX55
    corsair pro
    6800gt
    Last edited by A Scream; 05-20-2005 at 04:29 AM.

You mean the wire isn't solderes anymore to the middle of the 5V Trimmer?
    that shouldn't make any difference (expect not changing the volts) when the psu is modded like hellfire did it with the resistor.

But you sais, that the vapo says, that the PSU can't supply 9.5V.
    That means that the 12V line isn't working right, and not the 5V line.

Do you have the Rev2 of this PSU? (Rev2 has 2 12V rails and ATX 2.0)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Is it a 24 pin?
    Intel C2D E6600 (L630B015)
    TT BigTyphoon || Zalman VF900 Fatal1ty
    Abit QuadGT
    2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500
    HIS X1900XT --> XTX
    Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
    OCZ GameXStream 700w

HEAT --- eBAY

Xtreme Member
    The 5v trimmer had broken.
    yep It's modded like hellfire's, w/ the resistor.

yeah the vapo doesn't have enough volts to turn it on.
    Glad you mentioned the 12v line. the line was nolonger connected. I resoldered it but it didn't help.

I don't have rev2. I know it's different since hellfire put his vr w/ the screws sticking out the sides, but I don't have any of those looking slots. Mine has a bunch of round holes.

nope... It's a 20.

I don't a lot about PSU's but the one on my PS2 has a fuse... does the one I have, have a fuse? I thought maybe it was blown. But I can't find it, so maybe it doesn't have one?

it has onem but without a fuse the psu wouldn't power on...
    do you have a multimeter? Could you measure the 3.3, 5 and 12V line?

Xtreme Vmod mod
    If the fixed resistor between the cut in the sense wire is still connected, the PSU should be ok (as long as nothing shorted, but voltage fluctuations caused by the changing voltage line could have caused damage to the PSU and possibly other hardware).
    If it was the fixed resistor between the cut in the sense wire which became disconected, the PSU might be damaged becasue without the sense wire to tell the PSU how much voltage to give out, it would probably give out the maximum possible voltage, and could have killed itself.

You could try powering up the PSU away from the PC by connecting the green wire on the ATX connector to any black wire (using a bent paperclip or piece of wire). You might also have to connect some sort of load (such as a fan or an old hard disk) to the power supply if you try turning it on this way. If the PSU turns on, you can then measure the voltages it is giving out with a multimeter.

Xtreme Member
    yeah... the PSU didn't turn on. I plugged in an old HD, nothing. there are vooltage changes when it's just on idle I guess you call it.
    5.14v out of the green wire.
    .007 out of the 3v

I measured the ohms of the resistor. something happened to it (unless it just loses resistence over time) since it's at 17ohms.

the psu doesn't turn it selfs if you plug in an HDD!
    You need to connect the green wire on the 20pinnector with an black one.
    You don't measure volts on green wires...

Yellow: 12V
    Red: 5V
    Orange: 3.3V

Xtreme Member
    I did connect the green wire to a black wire w/ a paper clip. Then I plugged the HDD in so it would draw some current. The PSU never turned on. I measure the green to see if the power was making it to the molex connector. If power makes it to the green wire then if there is a fuse it couldn't be blown (I don't think).

Xtreme Member
    If the mod is fouled up it could be tripping the overvoltage protection if its way out of adjustment. I had this problem with a Fortron 530w that had one of the internal pots go bad. I replaced the pot and all was well again.