Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: # 1 spot on ORB for any single 6800 for XS

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by railer
    Not so fast

Well i got 6565 score with aproved FM drivers . #1 spot is mine

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=358198

For now I got the highest score with 6800GT in all posted 3dmark05. And the highest single 6800 with aproved FM drivers. I'm sure it will change but for now i'm happy. The temps did the trick

Well usually I score 6200 -6300 but just that one time the card didn’t thermal throttle because of the -c temps. I can see it throttling .i.e. dropping the clock on the core when i score 6200 with 480/1350. Anything that scores a little higher than you looks suspicious Those are Approved FM drivers
    Nice score. No disrespect but, you're other two published scores are different by 250 points with the same gpu clocks, and the cpu wouldn't matter that much. Your score just doesnt look right if you look at other 6800GT and Ultra scores on the ORB. Can you maybe post another 6500+ score please @ 480/1350, or similar?
    As far as the throttling...Are you saying all your runs in the 6200-6300 have been cold-throttling, and your only running 480 on the core? What temps are you getting? If you are -c temps, you would be cold throttling all the time, right? What is your cooling?

edit:
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=372433

Last edited by drcrawn; 12-12-2004 at 11:44 AM.
    6800U 31.7K '01*15.8K '03*7.2K '05

...building a dual 254 rig on the MSI K8N Master2-FAR SLI

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice score. No disrespect but, you're other two published scores are different by 250 points with the same gpu clocks, and the cpu wouldn't matter that much. Your score just doesnt look right if you look at other 6800GT and Ultra scores on the ORB. Can you maybe post another 6500+ score please @ 480/1350, or similar?
    As far as the throttling...Are you saying all your runs in the 6200-6300 have been cold-throttling, and your only running 480 on the core? What temps are you getting? If you are -c temps, you would be cold throttling all the time, right? What is your cooling?
    I know that. The only one you can blame is the software itself. I benched like 100 times and that was the only time it gave me 6500+ score. Usually I can’t go over 6320. Those other posted are also one of my best scores ever. Plus my clock that time I think was little higher than 480/1350 I think it was like 1366 on the ram. I did reload the driver with RivaTuner and didn’t log off so 3dmark didn’t determine the clocks right. Maybe that did the trick I don’t know.
    However I can’t get 6500+ no more. I tried to do same think I did but can’t go over 6370 no mater what. Will try few more times but I guess it was ether mistake in calculation or some other bug. The score before 6500 it gave me was 6288 and then bam I get 6500+ I was also really surprised But hay if it’s nice enough to give that I’ll take it.

But what I want to point out is that I do use logging with Rivatuner and it shows me if the card starts thermal throttling. And the time it gave me that score the graph was clean the card did not drop the clock at all. Usually it does so. And no i don’t get cold throttling. I boot the card with temps -27 inside the AC box I build its kind of a 24/7 chiller so the mystery cold throttling never happens to me. But what these cards do is somewhere in the drivers there is a protection built in which acts when the card thinks its getting to much whatever clock or heat or to much data I really don’t know what triggers it but when that line is drawn the card starts to thermal throttle i.e. dropping the clock and that effects performance allot. No one knows how to stop this. If OC'ers would somehow find a way to disable this protection which I think acts to soon by at least 20% we would get way higher scores than we do now. While benching @ your max try to enable monitoring with RivaTuner and see if the card changes its setting at all.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    I know that. The only one you can blame is the software itself. I benched like 100 times and that was the only time it gave me 6500+ score. Usually I can’t go over 6320. Those other posted are also one of my best scores ever. Plus my clock that time I think was little higher than 480/1350 I think it was like 1366 on the ram. I did reload the driver with RivaTuner and didn’t log off so 3dmark didn’t determine the clocks right. Maybe that did the trick I don’t know.
    However I can’t get 6500+ no more. I tried to do same think I did but can’t go over 6370 no mater what. Will try few more times but I guess it was ether mistake in calculation or some other bug. The score before 6500 it gave me was 6288 and then bam I get 6500+ I was also really surprised But hay if it’s nice enough to give that I’ll take it.

But what I want to point out is that I do use logging with Rivatuner and it shows me if the card starts thermal throttling. And the time it gave me that score the graph was clean the card did not drop the clock at all. Usually it does so. And no i don’t get cold throttling. I boot the card with temps -27 inside the AC box I build its kind of a 24/7 chiller so the mystery cold throttling never happens to me. But what these cards do is somewhere in the drivers there is a protection built in which acts when the card thinks its getting to much whatever clock or heat or to much data I really don’t know what triggers it but when that line is drawn the card starts to thermal throttle i.e. dropping the clock and that effects performance allot. No one knows how to stop this. If OC'ers would somehow find a way to disable this protection which I think acts to soon by at least 20% we would get way higher scores than we do now. While benching @ your max try to enable monitoring with RivaTuner and see if the card changes its setting at all.
    Hey man, I give you alot of respect for your explanation. You do a nice job explaining how you got the score, thanks. IMO, you got a nice lucky run, and I dont take anything away from you. At least you are honest about how you got it and recognize it might be a rare run.
    As far as throttling goes: I believe the cold-throttle kicks in 100 degrees from the max temp. So if the card's max thermal is 125c, the cold throttle will occur at 24c, or hot throttle at 126c. At least this is how my card acts...
    I have experienced the card not holding the clocks at certain high settings. Most of my runs at above about 511 core do not run correctly. I'm not sure what the clocks are actually, though, I dont use rivatuner anymore.
    At 510 core, the card will almost never drop frames, but at 512, 513 etc, it is more likely, and I end up scoring about 6050, rather than 6300 plus.
    My best experience comes when I overclock to say 515 core (powerstrip), then go back and reclock to 510. I can see the screen go black, and I KNOW that the clock is now at 510.

My last question for you is with those super low temps you have, are you sure you cant clock higher than 480 ish? Seems like you would be getting higher clocks with those temps. You should flash your card to 1.5v 3D instead of 1.4v, it will really help you get more outta the card.
    Good luck.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    OMG
    Forceware 71.20 drivers gives +300points boost over 66.81/66.93
    Yeah but the whole point is to use FM approved.

Sorry Crawn, my system is fub0r3d, after Christmas I shall rise to the challenge...

Xtreme Addict
    iam coming

Be quite you Prommy ch333370rz.

I've been pwnz0ring yu0 s1n53 1337!

Last edited by Dorky; 12-13-2004 at 02:22 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    lol..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My last question for you is with those super low temps you have, are you sure you cant clock higher than 480 ish? Seems like you would be getting higher clocks with those temps. You should flash your card to 1.5v 3D instead of 1.4v, it will really help you get more outta the card.
    Good luck.
    Well I don’t know about cold throttling I never experienced it. Maybe cause I don’t use original bios on my card. I tried 1.5v before but that didn’t allow for higher clock. But that was before I was getting –c temps. I might try it but I thought that when you get –c temps then the GPU becomes superconductive and you need less voltage to make it run @same clock speed. This stand true for CPU’s not sure how my GPu would act.
    I could clock the card all the way to 520 but can’t really bench with more than 480. @482 it drops the scores i.e starts the stupid throttle. Remember it’s just the GT. Ultra’s do get higher on the core. By the way awesome card you got there. That a killer OC :thumbsup: .

[Edit]
    I just took a look @ your score Drcrawn and notice you only go 1316 on ram. Without artifacts i can go to 1304. After that i do get them. On 1350 it kind of looks like crap but still benches fine. I notice that you can increase mem without getting a score drop versus if you would increase the GPU to much. I bet you could bench on 1333 easy. It will artifact no doubt but hay look at Detonator he benched @1430 that is just insane. He probably didn’t even see anything in 3dmark it should of artifact like crazy at that speed. What cooling was used Detonator?

Also what i find very strange is the whole bios story. I think that Ultra bios not only different from GT bios by voltage but also by mem timings. Somehow Ultra should utilize that 1.6ns ram. There has been reports that if GT owners flashed to Ultra after a while they card would get screwed up. It's not true for all but i personally seen at least 5-6 cases like that. Now i know that i have 1.6 ns ram on my GT. There is just no way it would go that high on 2.0ns
    I was just wondering if anyone tried to flash their Ultra to GT bios. Maybe more OC and stability could be achieved. Maybe GT bios utilizes dif mem timings since it was not design to work above 350/1000 . I don’t know. But it's worth the try. Anyone who attempts should have a PCI card just in case.
    Last edited by railer; 12-14-2004 at 12:20 PM.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Well I don’t know about cold throttling I never experienced it. Maybe cause I don’t use original bios on my card. I tried 1.5v before but that didn’t allow for higher clock. But that was before I was getting –c temps. I might try it but I thought that when you get –c temps then the GPU becomes superconductive and you need less voltage to make it run @same clock speed. This stand true for CPU’s not sure how my GPu would act.
    I could clock the card all the way to 520 but can’t really bench with more than 480. @482 it drops the scores i.e starts the stupid throttle. Remember it’s just the GT. Ultra’s do get higher on the core. By the way awesome card you got there. That a killer OC :thumbsup: .

[Edit]
    I just took a look @ your score Drcrawn and notice you only go 1316 on ram. Without artifacts i can go to 1304. After that i do get them. On 1350 it kind of looks like crap but still benches fine. I notice that you can increase mem without getting a score drop versus if you would increase the GPU to much. I bet you could bench on 1333 easy. It will artifact no doubt but hay look at Detonator he benched @1430 that is just insane. He probably didn’t even see anything in 3dmark it should of artifact like crazy at that speed. What cooling was used Detonator?

Also what i find very strange is the whole bios story. I think that Ultra bios not only different from GT bios by voltage but also by mem timings. Somehow Ultra should utilize that 1.6ns ram. There has been reports that if GT owners flashed to Ultra after a while they card would get screwed up. It's not true for all but i personally seen at least 5-6 cases like that. Now i know that i have 1.6 ns ram on my GT. There is just no way it would go that high on 2.0ns
    I was just wondering if anyone tried to flash their Ultra to GT bios. Maybe more OC and stability could be achieved. Maybe GT bios utilizes dif mem timings since it was not design to work above 350/1000 . I don’t know. But it's worth the try. Anyone who attempts should have a PCI card just in case.
    Thanks. I realize my core clock is about as high as anyone out there on watercooling and 1.5v. I believe Lardarse still holds the record with somehting like 620+ on the core with xtreme cooling and mods.

There's a program that allows you to modify your bios (2d and 3d volts) without changing mem timings. That way your arent actually flashing a GT to an Ultra etc. you're just changing the volt settings.

As far as artifacting goes. I know and you know that 1.3 on the memory is about as high as anyone can reasonably go before artifacts, so, while I can and have run those tests at like 1375, its so silly to me to try to claim its a good bench.
    1325 is about as high as I will go with minor artifacts before realizing it's pointless, because I couldnt play a game higher than about 1.31 without serious artifacts. I think of it this way: when ppls see my clocks (513/1.315) they know I'm not sneaking in another hundred points at the expense of crazy artifacts, and that's nice. Its the 513 core that's really something...
    A few others here can get there Ultra's up there too, and beyond, 1.5v is a must. I figure if I had 1.6, I could go much higher, but I've decided not to push it too much. I'm not prepared to grenade my 6800 Ultra for 15 more core mhz.
    There are plenty of ppls here with some seriously fast GTs too, you might want to ask what 3d volt they use, b/c I know some are up around 490 core.
    Yesterday I played Halo for about an hour @ 506/1.25 without a hitch, and it was awesome.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good point bud . I totally agree with you about that anything past 1310 would artifact and thus benchmarking on higher settings would be useless because you would never play a game @ that speed. However when benchmarking lots of people like to push their hardware to the max to find the top at which their system will perform. So definitely they will benchmark on setting they would never play a game. But it’s also really hard to make you system stable to bench on these settings, you know lockups, reboots lower scores ext… I personally would not game past 450/1250 not because I can’t just because I don’t see any point doing it. It makes no difference to me if I get 160FPS in CS or I will get 140FPS. Same s***t. However I like to benchmark on that fine line where I know few more MHz and hello blue screen. That’s just me.

Xtreme Addict
    why dont you guys bench some 01?

DPA, do you have any pics on your chiller?

You have also voldmodded your card, how did you do that(is there any guide for that)?

thx.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpa
    why dont you guys bench some 01?
    Personally, I dont have the cpu or FSB for 2k1, and I refuse to get involved with all the "tweaks" necessary to compete. I realize 2k1 is THE benchmark, but I dont think its all that applicable to current 3d apps, and I just get killed anyway...

But I am impressed with the top scorers.
    Last edited by drcrawn; 12-16-2004 at 01:56 PM.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Good point bud . I totally agree with you about that anything past 1310 would artifact and thus benchmarking on higher settings would be useless because you would never play a game @ that speed. However when benchmarking lots of people like to push their hardware to the max to find the top at which their system will perform. So definitely they will benchmark on setting they would never play a game. But it’s also really hard to make you system stable to bench on these settings, you know lockups, reboots lower scores ext… I personally would not game past 450/1250 not because I can’t just because I don’t see any point doing it. It makes no difference to me if I get 160FPS in CS or I will get 140FPS. Same s***t. However I like to benchmark on that fine line where I know few more MHz and hello blue screen. That’s just me.
    I am familiar with the blue screen. You are talking to someone who got his Ultra almost a year ago (9 months) with 60.85 installed, lol. So many blue screens... Such a crappy driver set, 60.85... I'm going to check to see if I have any 3dmark 03 runs with 60.85 for a good chuckle...

here is 100% stock http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2540877 from 5-19-04

with a good oc http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2827498

both with 60.85
    Last edited by drcrawn; 12-16-2004 at 01:54 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    just ran thru 03.. low clocks..

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3476404

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpa
    do that with 66.93, and youre on the first page...its that easy, but nice score DPA!

Xtreme Addict
    did a 01 run..

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8311600

/me need win2k and acpi tweak.. lol look at car high.. SUCKS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12