Thread: +10% on all rails safe?

Xtreme Member

+10% on all rails safe?

Hi,

Got the OCZ PS 520W and I would just like to hear if it is safe to operate at +%10 levels, for the components/motherboard? I have the DFI 250gb, 3700+, BH-5 RAM(probably), and 6800GT.

I don't wanna use the booster, as it cost me a DFI 250gb, at just 2.8v. OCZ hasn't it on their list(puzzled), so no warranty covered with store

Anyways, safe to crack up the voltages to these levels? Is there a purpose/gain, at upping all of the rails? I know upping 3.3v gives for more voltage to RAM, but what about the other ones.

Xtreme Member
    ATX specs are +/- 5% for the 3.3V, 5V & 12V lines. Anything out of spec can cause stability and performance issues.

Excessive over-volting rarely is worth the effort and often causes damage. If you need to run your RAM above 2.85V you should buy better RAM like Corsair's PC4400C25 that does not require over-volting. Over-volting causes more heat, shorter component life, minimal gains in performance and often a loss in stability, none of which is desirable in a PC.

Yes I am aware that OCZ is selling a 3.+ Volt RAM which is for the gullible IMNHO when Corsair's PC4400C25 at default voltage will equal or exceed the performance of other RAM when over-volted. Over-volting above the BIOS options is not smart no matter what some folks may believe or someone is trying to sell or tell you. It is just another gimmick to get into your wallet... If you think otherwise, go right ahead and fry your hardware. The joke is on you. Every hardware component has a design spec and limit. Using higher voltage to try and force a component to do what it was not designed to do is foolhardy and results in premature failure.

XS Intel News & DČOL enhanced
    WTF? wasnt this XtremeSystems, where people shove 4v+ up rams arse?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by enzoR
    WTF? wasnt this XtremeSystems, where people shove 4v+ up rams arse?
    that's what i noticed too Enzor we're getting more and more chickens here

and yes, it should be safe to raise +10% so crank it up and take those mems for a ride, damn it

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, there are MORONS who do that and they fry all of their sh*t and then whine about it in the forums!!! Those folks should be shovin' that RAM up THEIR arse so they'd have a CLUE WTF is going on electrically in a PC.

Then there are people with a clue who actually KNOW that many PC components don't like over-voltage and that they perform best at or just below the design specs.

If you wanna fry your sh*t, go right ahead. The E-tailers love selling more hardware to idiots. P.T. Barnum made a lot of money that way... And yes there is ONE or more suckers born every minute. And they are fun to watch breaking their sh*t...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    well, this time you're actually right, Beenthere
    getting deeper into OCing (just like excessive voltages or hardcore cooling) requires more experience and "know-how". so if this guy is just one of those "not sure" then maybe my advice to crank voltage up was not the best one...
    i believe that everyone that overclocks beyond reason knows, that it CAN kill hardware and WILL if not properly done (modded).

XS Intel News & DČOL enhanced
    hmm i wonder why he went on "vacation" lol...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    wow... just noticed that he went on vacation due to some Newegg bashing in other threads without any proof....