Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ultimate S939 mainboard guide - tweaking guide ,known bugs, and fixes

Xtreme X.I.P.
    updated the list on the first page... daym... look at all those tips!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    good work saaya

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With bh-5 1.36 till now seems to be the nicest bios??? Anyone with the board and bh-5 mem's can confirm that?

"God...i know she's dead :'( but keep her soul alive because in my heart she will never die :'(" VoRtAn_MaDgE
    Nc te eskecerei avó! :'(

Just bought asus a8v rev 2. How and what driver do i need to install for win xp to see my sata drives? no raid just 2 sata western digital drives.

Xtreme Member
    none...just format your S-ata drives over the peripherial manager.... , i don´t know the right word in english.... you know, the place where you can find detailled infos about every hardware component in your pc...
    put your finger in the mouth, laughing crumbs keeps your youth... :banana4:

do not know what that is, burnhead. Is this in the BIOS? Remember that there is no windows installed in the system. This is a new system.

Xtreme Member
    ah... but you said: How and what driver do i need to install for win xp to see my sata drives? no raid just 2 sata western digital drives.

ok...so then get into the bios and set the sata plate you want to boot from as secondary boot device, first is your DVD or CD - Drive... then install windows and all the drivers that have been delivered with your hardware (graphx card, mainboard, HDD drivers and all other stuff you need) then klick "start" and there is a entry with a little notice book and a pencil... i am from austria so i dont know the word for it.... in german it is "systemsteuerung"... there is an entry with a circle diagramme, click it, then there is an entry with a personalcomputer and a monitor, in which is displayed a big hook, click it...a window opens, there is a button on top, which says "hardware" click it....and in the second row there are 2 buttons, click the right... in the following window, there are all hardware components listed, which your PC includes... also your HDDs... now it´s easy to format them...

don´t know if it´s the right way, maybe you can also format them in your bios...

i´ve taken the 1st way, because i installed windows on a IDE drive...

btw. what country are you from?
    put your finger in the mouth, laughing crumbs keeps your youth... :banana4:

Québec, Canada
    Already tried to install win xp, but it stops and tell me that it does not see any hard disk, but in the bios, it does. I figured that may be i need to format my drives before truing to install win xp.

Just spoke with my supplier, he tells me i absolutely need to install a driver with F6 during the installation of win xp because it is a sata drive that win xp does not recognize yet.
    In the asus a8v supplied cd, there are drivers for raid. Probably i need to install the VIA raid driver even though i will not install raid. I will try that tonight.

Xtreme Member
    btw. what country are you from?[/QUOTE]

LOLA Sound familiar far away from Canada! Sounds like a familiar name in my country.

Lola,
    Your last description will do the trick, just make sure that you are using a generic keyboard so that your sytem can recognize the F6 command. Usually a floppy comes with a motherboard that contains the SATA drive that you must install for your Hard drives to be visible to XP. Afterward you may disregard the raid installation and move on. Good luck
    Core 2 Duo E6600 [L625A] 3330MHz 1.375Vcore 24/7
    Core 2 Duo E6600 [L640F] 3330MHz 1.475Vcore
    Crucial 10th Anv 2 x 1GB DDR2-667 @ 463MHz 4-4-4-12
    ASUS P5B Dlx
    FOTRON BLUE STORM 500W
    TT BT with stock Fan
    Gigabyte Nvidia 7600GSw/ Silent Pipe
    WD Cavier 250GB
    Antec P160

The trouble is there was no floppy with the asus a8v just a cd. In the cd there are three floppy generation places.
    1st: Promise 378ata
    2nd: Promise 378RAID
    3rd: VIA RAID 6420
    Since i do not want to install a raid system, the first one PROMISE 378ATA is probably the correct one. (I hope)

Addition for MSI Neo2

Please, on the MSI Neo2 Plat, add something like this:

"Tip: If you are having trouble getting windows to boot from SATA ("Error Loading Operating System"), be sure to set SATA1/2/3/4 RAID to "ENABLED", even if you are not running RAID."

I have seen a lot of people having trouble with this, especially if they are trying to use a SATA drive for their Primary boot drive (like WD Raptor)
    Thanks for the post. Very helpfull to see it all in one place.

CanisLupis

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    updated the list on the first page... daym... look at all those tips!
    I recommended this guide as a sticky and submitted to eocf. I hope you are cool with it. It's been helping a lot of their members.
    http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=141010

In the 1.3b6 bios i got an option called Adjust CPU FID voltage, and one step lower you can adjust de voltage of the cpu bij max 18%

What does the adjust cpu fid do? I noticed that it goes way down 1.0 volt?

Question whats the best grease for cpu socket M1

Quote Originally Posted by cowpuppy
    Well I have to put my 2 cents in here about the MSI Neo2 and it runs great on BH-5 and 3700EB and has so far been the best 939 board I've ran so far.
    can you guide me on the best grease for pins /socket/m1 ystem
    thanks
    Thanks Eagle101
    -------------------------
    CrossHairV-Z 9590 cpu-OC
    SSD Ocz RevoDrive3 X2 Raid0 PciE
    -51c Cpu SS Phase.Change Cooling
    Msi 290X Lightning oc
    1600 Watts P2 Evga Platinum
    G.SKILL Trident X Cas7 1600Mhz
    Dell U2410 24" IPS

5.1 Sound Pro-Klipsch

Xtreme Member
    awesome info

Ok I was asking for some help on building my own PC. I just read like the 1st few posts from this thread and it totally kills what I was going to buy. Everyone kept telling me to get the MSI K8Neo Plat. But It seems like there are a lot of things wrong with it for just everyday usage.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    thx a lot CanisLupis, added it
    welcome to XtremeSystems!

same to you aCidbAbY, welcome

about grease for the socket i would just use any dielectric grease you can find in a car or electronics shop

root, i think the msi is amongst the most stable 939 boards for everyday usage. the problem with this guide is that there is a huge amount of people who have an msi neo2 board wich means we have more infos about the good things, but mostly about the small bugs of that board...

the only real problem with the neo2 is the cpu socket orientation, and that only 2 sata slots can be used for ocing and that it doesnt like ocz eb memory. most other issues seem to be resolved with the latest bios.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    updating and improving the guide
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abit av8.jpg 
Views:	81529 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	20032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asus a8v.jpg 
Views:	80782 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	20033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ecs kv2.jpg 
Views:	80668 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	20034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epox 9nda3+.jpg 
Views:	81085 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	20035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gigabyte k8nsnxp.jpg 
Views:	85279 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	20036  

Xtreme X.I.P.
    and more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msi k8n neo2.jpg 
Views:	103182 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	20037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msi k8t neo2-fir.jpg 
Views:	79757 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	20038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soltek k8t-pro.jpg 
Views:	77208 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	20039  

Ok well then what would be the best ram I could get for that board. And if I were to purchase let's say a another prebuilt with that Mobo in it would it be stable. I am thinking about this Compaq gaming PC. The GX5000Z. I know, I know it's a Compaq OR SO THEY seem to have a bad reputation. Oh well, Im not all computer literate. Sometimes I even wonder how I found my way into this forum. At any rate I would probably want to change a few things about this computer once I bought it. Or maybe I should buy the parts myself and build it.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...ing&catLevel=2

Xtreme Addict
    OT.

saaya you´ve received a PM
    "M-I-A"

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Root://
    Ok well then what would be the best ram I could get for that board. And if I were to purchase let's say a another prebuilt with that Mobo in it would it be stable. I am thinking about this Compaq gaming PC. The GX5000Z. I know, I know it's a Compaq OR SO THEY seem to have a bad reputation. Oh well, Im not all computer literate. Sometimes I even wonder how I found my way into this forum. At any rate I would probably want to change a few things about this computer once I bought it. Or maybe I should buy the parts myself and build it.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...ing&catLevel=2
    always buy a pc yourself... 90% of prebuilt pcs have at least one weak point, most have several...
    if your not sure what parts to get just look at other peoples rigs and send them a pm if they would recommend you a certain board or card they have.

Just wanna add something.. I was playing around with my ram trying to find its max FSB and timings.

From what I gather, its best you keep your CPU cool due to the fact that the mem controller is on die. More so for the 3000+ who tend to require a little more voltage to reach higher clock speeds. More voltage = More heat

Max FSB for ram 269 at 3/4/4/8
    Max Clock for CPU is 2575 at 1.55v Stock HSF

Ram is unable to go above 255 fsb at 2575MHz no matter the timing or voltage. It seems as if when the CPU maxed out ... so does the Ram controller

Just my 2c worth

Xtreme X.I.P.
    did you try a different multiplier?

if you lower vdimm, do you still get the same fsb stable or do you have to back down the fsb?

what temps do you mean? i know for example that most bartons crashed when reaching more than 40°C load temps when they were pushed to their limit. if i kept it below 40°C it was stable...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast