Thread: "LGA 775: A Joke And A Threat That Is No Joke" ?

"LGA 775: A Joke And A Threat That Is No Joke" ?

Last edited by gandolf; 11-25-2004 at 10:41 PM.

Xtreme Member
    According to anandtech the sockets dont "break" that easily.
    3800+ Manchester @ 2.5ghz on an Asus A8N-SLI, 1024mb Corsair XMS 2 3 2 6, 7800GT SLI

Xtreme Member
    and they guy who wrote that at overclockers.com just seems bitter about something...maybe his cat died?
    3800+ Manchester @ 2.5ghz on an Asus A8N-SLI, 1024mb Corsair XMS 2 3 2 6, 7800GT SLI

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    from what I seen of the sockets myself, they just dont give the same level of confidence that thier 478 counterparts use to.
    they aren't as fragile as to say 20 removals of the CPU and it's dead, but it's definatly not as robust as regular CPU's.

given alittle caution, and common sense I dont see why a LGA socket couldn't last for years...

but personally, I would rather have just seen them use pinned CPU's from the start.

the 10% limit can be easily bypassed, just avoid the 915 and 925 boards.
    they are pretty much a joke anyways, a good 875T seems to be the best solution, unless you want PCI EX.

but the good news is, both Nvidia, ATI, and Via are all designing thier own chipsets for the 775, hopefully one of them are better then these crappy 900 series motherboards.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Member
    The fact is is the socket is easly damaged by user insertion of the processer.

This has no meaning for OEM users but the Enthusiast it might have a a draw back on the 20th or so Processer replacement.

I for one have only kept a board for no more than 5 processers any how so it seems like no big deal.
    Asrock Extreme3 Gen3
    Intel 2500K @5.0 1.52V
    Thermaltake Frio
    4-4GB Kinston HyperX 1600's
    1-256Gb Crucial M4 SSD
    Xion 1000W (Made by Superflower)
    2-Evga GTX570 in SLI
    Antec DF-30
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Just a regular guy, Not Xtreme!!

If I sound STUPID!! it is because I am.

Not everyone can be a Genius!!

Xtreme Member
    im bout to buy a 3.4E, and considering its the only 775 procesor ill own (and for a while) I will probably be installing it once, and leaving it there till I get a new mobo or new processor.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    from what I seen of the sockets myself, they just dont give the same level of confidence that thier 478 counterparts use to.
    they aren't as fragile as to say 20 removals of the CPU and it's dead, but it's definatly not as robust as regular CPU's.

given alittle caution, and common sense I dont see why a LGA socket couldn't last for years...

but personally, I would rather have just seen them use pinned CPU's from the start.

the 10% limit can be easily bypassed, just avoid the 915 and 925 boards.
    they are pretty much a joke anyways, a good 875T seems to be the best solution, unless you want PCI EX.

but the good news is, both Nvidia, ATI, and Via are all designing thier own chipsets for the 775, hopefully one of them are better then these crappy 900 series motherboards.
    What?!?!?!? DDR2 + i925xe = super uberness

335+ FSB on my p5ad2-e easily. DDR2 pwns

Xtreme Addict
    yeah, i am old school. I loved having pins on the cpu. it's been that way forever. it so hard to accept big changes im not use to. The new 64-bit xeons still use pinned sockets afaik, and so does the Dothan. so , the new LGA 775 pinless design may seem unecessary to me. Maybe this will help intel save money on bent pins, because now they are alot more of them!
    --===== proud owner of new razor tarantula gaming keyboard =====--

Xtreme Member
    now if the pins get bent, the mobo manufacturer is gonna have to deal with the RMA instead of Intel.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheograth
    now if the pins get bent, the mobo manufacturer is gonna have to deal with the RMA instead of Intel.
    rather RMA a 200 dollar mobo than a 600 dollar cpu

Xtreme Member
    except the big ones like asus charge $60 to fix a 775 socket if it has bent pins. Intel is the only one i know of that will replace 775 boards that have bent pins under warranty at no extra charge.