Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
You should use a cooler instead of a fish tank and a 5000 BTU Window AC should be able to cool that hardware, the question is how cool will it keep it. Here is my old post when I did this a few years ago to give you some ideas.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=307110

Also, Drewmiester is a wealth of information and is still active on that site.

Still have mine, sitting in the garage, but it still works.
This made me chuckle a bit, because mine is still sitting in a garage. LOL!

Anyways....

Coolers are a good item to use because the plastic can handle lower temperatures. Although, 0F is at the lower end and pretty close to the brittleness temp. The insulation protects it pretty well, and they're rigid so I haven't heard of anyone having a problem. I'd be worried about a fish tank. Polycarbonate does not handle low temperatures very well. Stress fractures would be easier to come by.

You could also check on places like plastic-mart.com for some Polyethylene RV/Marine tanks. They get to be a bit pricey, though. You can buy them with standard fitting ports, but metal fittings are a no-no. usplastics.com has some good HDPE fittings that will withstand low temp. They also sell a good bit of tubing for various temperature ranges.

PE is generally good down to about -20 safely. -28F is a sweet spot for most of those kinds of tanks, so you wouldn't want to approach it. Not that it would bust, but it wouldn't be a good idea. I gather you aren't trying to get down that far?

I tend to shy away from anything other than PE or PP for plastics. PE has a lower brittle temp, but neither one is going to be an issue.