Thread: How and why you crunch

Xtreme Cruncher

How and why you crunch

This thread is a bit like the the Goals and Achievements thread but I wanted a different focus here. PLEASE include any pictures of hardware you use for WCG and/or would like to use such as GPUs. List what hardware, no matter how humble you think it is and tell us why you particpate in IBMs World Community Grid.

I may post some pics later but there is nothing too interesting about most of my hardware.

2 dual socket F AMD with 2 8356 Opteron Quad cores each.
    2 quad core AMDs
    1 6 core AMD 906 at 3gz, a quad core unlocked to 6 with GTX 660 Ti
    2 AMD 1055T 6 core at 3.5gz. One has 2 AMD 7870 GPUs and the other 1 7870 and 1 270x.

As you can see from my hardware and my stats in my sig it takes neither the latest or the greatest hardware to make a difference. Just takes time and some dedication.

When I die I want to feel my life had some meaning and made some contribution to a better life for others. Especially children. I study ever project I participate in and every WCG project has so far either directly or indirectly effected children. To remind myself of the suffering cancer causes I follow St. Judes Children Hospital and several Children's Cancer projects on Facebook. So I see almost daily a picture of a child with cancer. Heart breaking and sometimes does not exactly "make your day". But I am doing something about it. I am helping scientist and medical researchers find better treatments and hopefully someday a cure for some of the cancers that ravage young children and devastate their families. The treatments for cancer now are brutal. I do not know what else to say except they remind me of medieval medical treatments in the suffering they cause. They are mostly effective to one degree or another but we have to find something better. Less brutal.

You have to stand for something in life. Many people pick some political or religious belief or issue. The way I look at it every work unit my computers complete and upload to IBM WCG servers is a vote. A vote against children suffering. Children not being allowed to be children. Families not being consumed by financial drain, emotional turmoil and physical suffering.

Right now I am voting 150-200 times a day against cancer. I wish I could do more and am always looking how I can. When a project announces results it is exciting and gratifying to know you played a part, no matter how small. And there have been many successes in cancer projects and others.

SO when I see a picture of a child suffering from cancer and the treatments they undergo on Facebook, I say to myself, "someday no one will see this and I will have helped end this".

And since I have always had a keen interest in computing, networks and science I get to participate in scientific research using my computers on a distributed network. Pretty cool!

Last edited by PoppaGeek; 10-08-2014 at 06:10 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    2 Opteron 8356 quad cores at 2.3gz on a Asus server MB and 4 gigs ram. Ubuntu Server.

Inside the case, Cooler Master HAF 932, MSI GD-70 MB 8 gigs ram, AMD 1055T hex core at 3.5gz and a Zalman heatsink/fan. 2 AMD 7870 GPUs.

A pic before I installed Windows 8.1. BoincTasks on the left monitor, monitoring a few Linux boxen on right. Assorted tablets, netbook and smartphones and external hard drives. The PC above shown on floor. I have since this pic was taken added 2 JBL es20 speakers and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 sub connected to a Pioneer VSX-D814 via optical cable. Music and sound effects in games sound great. Also have Sony MDRV6 headphones.

Some ast. stuff added since pic:
    Samsung Chromebook, Kindle Fire 7 HDX tablet, Dell 15" AMD dual core notebook running Linux Mint. A Raspberry Pi for when the urge to hack hardware/software hits.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 10-08-2014 at 05:53 AM.

HWiNFO Author
    A gift I got from DELL: Precision T7610 with 2 x Xeon E5-2687W and Quadro K4000.
    Currently running vLHC@Home, Einstein (GPU) and WCG.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    You have to stand for something in life. Many people pick some political or religious belief or issue. The way I look at it every work unit my computers complete and upload to IBM WCG servers is a vote. A vote against children suffering. Children not being allowed to be children. Families not being consumed by financial drain, emotional turmoil and physical suffering.

Right now I am voting 150-200 times a day against cancer. I wish I could do more and am always looking how I can. When a project announces results it is exciting and gratifying to know you played a part, no matter how small. And there have been many successes in cancer projects and others.
    Wow... that's quite the powerful way to look at it. Wow.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    OK it's the week end. Let's see some pics and some info folks.

or else

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    OK it's the week end. Let's see some pics and some info folks.

or else

My crunchers are all spread across the US - the only ones close are my two laptops, and nothing special to see there...

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???