Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Maxwell for soon ? Yes and no - Hardware.fr

Xtreme Mentor

Is Maxwell for soon ? Yes and no - Hardware.fr

Several sources indicate that Maxwell will come soon with availability in the first half 2014 and maybe even an ad or teasing at CES to be held in Las Vegas in early January.
    We're are only talking about entry level 28nm chip in a first time, GM107 or GM108 as we can suppose.
    In the end, we are conviced of the arrival on the first half of a small Maxwell GPU mainly for the mobile world. At first, expect such a "GeForce GT 840M" surrounded by other GeForce 800M from a renaming, but in no way a "GeForce GTX 880" which would replace the GeForce GTX 780 Ti recent. We must also keep in mind that the GeForce GTX 700 is selling very well and dominate the market against the Radeon R9. Therefore no reason for Nvidia to rush to replace ...
    Original

Translated

Xtreme Enthusiast
    We must also keep in mind that the GeForce GTX 700 is selling very well and dominate the market against the Radeon R9. Therefore no reason for Nvidia to rush to replace ...
    LOL

Nvidia could have not write it any better.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
    LOL

Agreed, with this Coin rubbish going on AMD can't make enough cards and retailers are price hiking. It won't last for long but while it's happening there is no way Nvidia can claim to be dominating, unless you're asking about sales in a gaming forum and ignoring actual sales, gamers who want an Nvidia card can actually get one.

Xtreme Addict
    the article sounds more like 20nm Maxwell will not be ready anywhere near first half 2014.... which goes along with what I said months ago.
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Mentor
    LOL

Hardware.fr is partnered with a big etailer here in France.
    They have also access to the DB and they know the sales number.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    What they know and what they publish it two different stories. They are lately so green it's not even nice, only couple Germans sites are worst and you should know better since all are your fav sites.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    the article sounds more like 20nm Maxwell will not be ready anywhere near first half 2014.... which goes along with what I said months ago.
    Either that or it might also sound like, 'don't buy AMD, Maxwell is just around the corner'.

Administrator
    How's that for a Moderating fail

Xtreme Addict
    Exactly what I meant. Have a look at Heinz posts, and hit the button again. My original post that you deleted actually had some good information in it, plus trying to make sure this thread doesn't derail in another stupid anti/pro that ruins the news section. Half the Radeon threads are filled with rubbish.
    Last edited by Tim; 12-11-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Administrator
    There is nothing wrong with his posts... this time

Xtreme Addict
    Ok. I suppose a thanks goes out for keeping an eye on things, even though I'm a bit miffed my original post got deleted.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair H80
    Corsair RM650

Xtreme Addict
    What they know and what they publish it two different stories. They are lately so green it's not even nice, only couple Germans sites are worst and you should know better since all are your fav sites.
    How has hardware.fr been so green lately?

They tend to punish Nvidia cards most when it comes to benchmarks.

They were also one of the only websites to cap Nvidia's performance at their specified on the box baseclocks. E.g not letting gtx 780 ti boost to 1000mhz and capping it at 924mhz. By doing this, Hardware.fr made Nvidia cards perform the worst of any other website out there. They only started allowing gtx 780 ti true boost clocks after AMD introduced uber mode.

Heinz you should be one of the last people on here insinuating a person has bias.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 12-11-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

I am Xtreme
    Yeah, second half of 2014 sounds about right. It's tough to release new GPU generations more often than once a year these days.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Yeah, second half of 2014 sounds about right. It's tough to release new GPU generations more often than once a year these days.
    For 20nm yes, not for 28nm Maxwell.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair H80
    Corsair RM650

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    For 20nm yes, not for 28nm Maxwell.
    I am yet to see any solid facts on Maxwell not being manufactured on 20nm process.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    I am yet to see any solid facts on Maxwell not being manufactured on 20nm process.
    correct!, the fact alone that producing a chip on 28nm process and then do the same on 20nm process would be extremely costly just to gain a lead way of a few months.... its not even realistic and Nvidia like to stay ahead of the competition just like everyone else, but doing R&D and dev cost twice for the same product offering has never been done before from a GPU point of view.
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    Dominating in France maybe. I know here stateside I can throw a rock and hit a 780, but 290s are as elusive as bigfoot.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    How has hardware.fr been so green lately?

They tend to punish Nvidia cards most when it comes to benchmarks.

They were also one of the only websites to cap Nvidia's performance at their specified on the box baseclocks. E.g not letting gtx 780 ti boost to 1000mhz and capping it at 924mhz. By doing this, Hardware.fr made Nvidia cards perform the worst of any other website out there. They only started allowing gtx 780 ti true boost clocks after AMD introduced uber mode.

Heinz you should be one of the last people on here insinuating a person has bias.
    Well I can tell you one example to start with. Do you know any out of box GTX 780 Uber Mode? If yes why not other site benched them? Also they forgot to mention in the comments the throttling was measured in Quiet mode, I'm sure nobody buyes this card to run in Quiet mode at least i have yet to see anybody.

About the "Heinz you should be one of the last people on here insinuating a person has bias."
    Sure I chear up for AMD mainly the graphic division, I have my own reason for that, too long story for this post, but at least I'm honest enough to admit it and see nothing wrong with that.

For the same reason it makes me very careful not to post negatives about Nvidia. Go and count any of my post in Nvidia threads where I was negative about Nvidia, I'm sure you will have hard time to find them.

After you finished I will count your many negatives posts in AMD threads, just for example; how AMD cheated to avoid bankruptcy, warning people at least couple times the cards will burn down because of the heat, your many long essays about what is wrong with AMD advising them what they should do better etc.
    Last edited by Heinz68; 12-11-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: spell check

Xtreme Addict
    Word is 28nm Maxwell is out there already and ready to be launched between end of January and March. Not the monster chip obviously, but they will be able to get a very powerful chip out there which isn't the highlight of the Maxwell show.

I'd imagine this would give them again the performance crown, and firmly putting the ball back into AMD's court. Forcing AMD to launch 20nm first, then nVidia would launch their big chip and the whole thing is done and dusted again. Pretty sure Hawaii was AMD's ace up the sleeve, what else can they launch before 20nm is ready? That should give nVidia a large part of Q1 to themselves. Not the first time nVidia has played their cards just right.
    Last edited by Tim; 12-12-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair H80
    Corsair RM650

Xtreme Addict
    Well I can tell you one example to start with. Do you know any out of box GTX 780 Uber Mode? If yes why not other site benched them? Also they forgot to mention in the comments the throttling was measured in Quiet mode, I'm sure nobody buyes this card to run in Quiet mode at least i have yet to see anybody.

About the "Heinz you should be one of the last people on here insinuating a person has bias."
    Sure I chear up for AMD mainly the graphic division, I have my own reason for that, too long story for this post, but at least I'm honest enough to admit it and see nothing wrong with that.

For the same reason it makes me very careful not to post negatives about Nvidia. Go and count any of my post in Nvidia threads where I was negative about Nvidia, I'm sure you will have hard time to find them.

After you finished I will count your many negatives posts in AMD threads, just for example; how AMD cheated to avoid bankruptcy, warning people at least couple times the cards will burn down because of the heat, your many long essays about what is wrong with AMD advising them what they should do better etc.
    What about the gsync article you posted about and everyone got angry at you for that(or did you forget about that one).

Same with this thing, your being all negative about it.

Just because hardware.fr post article negative about AMD doesn't mean they are being green.

Did you know that uber mode is from hardware.fr is basically boost left on in its normal state like they come from the factory typically. Before hardware.fr limited boost clocks what was specified on the box. Hence they performed the worst of any other website out there. Uber mode is really default mode.

I only mentioned the bankruptsy thing way way earlier because AMD truly is near the minimum amount of money they need to operate. I have posted such links of these figures. AMD truly is in bad shape. Its the truth. Companies like Blackberry and HTC have way more cash in the bank than AMD, but there are talks for inevitable bankruptsy for them. Doing stuff like selling your head office and offices around the world again doesn't inspire confidence that they are in the best financial shape. Similar are the heavy cuts of the company over the years of their staff. Most of the world dealing with computers is being hit hard by the downfall of desktops but AMD is taking it harder than many because they were in bad financial shape before the financial crisis.

Such a statement above about AMD you might seem as negative, however you can gather such evidence for the above that its really the truth. The truth isn't negative or positive.

Them doing such a move like sending cherry picked samples would honestly be a smart maneuver. As I said earlier, I wouldn't blame them as survival is more important to them/us in the long run.

What you will find from me compared to yourself is I will say negative stuff about Nvidia. I think people will have a hardtime finding you say negative stuff about AMD. You are negative about Nvidia and your not just positive about AMD, your really positive about AMD to the point where it seems like PR.

With the pro AMD crowd so negative about Nvidia and positive about AMD(and with about a dozen posters like this, it's starting to turn into semiaccurate forums. This is not a good thing.

I also never said anything about the cards burning down because of heat. Only time I said anything remotely like this is when I was talking about over-volting the cards on stock cooling and overclocking. I also showed the charts for this as well.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    What about the gsync article you posted about and everyone got angry at you for that(or did you forget about that one).

Same with this thing, your being all negative about it.

Just because hardware.fr post article negative about AMD doesn't mean they are being green.

Did you know that uber mode is from hardware.fr is basically boost left on in its normal state like they come from the factory typically. Before hardware.fr limited boost clocks what was specified on the box. Hence they performed the worst of any other website out there. Uber mode is really default mode.

I only mentioned the bankruptsy thing way way earlier because AMD truly is near the minimum amount of money they need to operate. I have posted such links of these figures. AMD truly is in bad shape. Its the truth. Companies like Blackberry and HTC have way more cash in the bank than AMD, but there are talks for inevitable bankruptsy for them. Doing stuff like selling your head office and offices around the world again doesn't inspire confidence that they are in the best financial shape. Similar are the heavy cuts of the company over the years of their staff. Most of the world dealing with computers is being hit hard by the downfall of desktops but AMD is taking it harder than many because they were in bad financial shape before the financial crisis.

Such a statement above about AMD you might seem as negative, however you can gather such evidence for the above that its really the truth. The truth isn't negative or positive.

Them doing such a move like sending cherry picked samples would honestly be a smart maneuver. As I said earlier, I wouldn't blame them as survival is more important to them/us in the long run.

What you will find from me compared to yourself is I will say negative stuff about Nvidia. I think people will have a hardtime finding you say negative stuff about AMD. You are negative about Nvidia and your not just positive about AMD, your really positive about AMD to the point where it seems like PR.

With the pro AMD crowd so negative about Nvidia and positive about AMD(and with about a dozen posters like this, it's starting to turn into semiaccurate forums. This is not a good thing.

I also never said anything about the cards burning down because of heat. Only time I said anything remotely like this is when I was talking about over-volting the cards on stock cooling and overclocking. I also showed the charts for this as well.
    The gsync article I posted myself in the news and some people got bananas when I said, It's not going to be any good for myself when I buy AMD. I see nothing wrong with that, I also mentioned in that thread and few more times, I hope Mantle is going to be open to use by other vendors if any good.

The GTX 780 uber was not run in normal boost state by the french site, everybody else did, they did not need to run two modes since they did not exist.

I only remember couple biggest Nvidia chills predicting AMD bankrupcy every few months and even than I don't remember them saying AMD is cheating to avoid bankrupcy.

Well I'm sure not working for AMD and if some people have big problem to hear anything positive about AMD it's not my problem. Besides I mainly post news articles posted by others and they're not critical about Nvidia, actually I even posted some good news article about Nvidia product.

It's a least second time you are posting that you worry about this forum turning into semiaccurate forums i think it's complete baloney you're using it as an excuse to advice people to be more critical about AMD. Nothing to worry about it you're doing good job by yourself.

I know you do hate Charlie so much, but it did not stopped you at all from using him here when it suited you. I do not remember you starting any thread based on Charlie articles when he was critical about Nvidia and you had much better choice there. LOL

My last post on this subject I hate this long replies.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well i cant be sayin anything about france, but here BF4 bundle + Coiners pretty much buy all the available stuff on the spot, in recent month price of 280X got UP ,then they disappeared pretty much and there is NO 7970/7950 used cards on the market,and there were loads of them before.
    I went yesterday to a friendly cshop to buy some stuff for a new gaming rig for son of a friend of mine, spoke to people at the shop ,and theyre telling me that all holidays shopping are BF4 bundled cards, kids want them just because of this game being on cards and with cards.Anyhow truth of the matter is they are selling 280X/290 pretty much as they get them, 270X are selling good also ,290X not so much ,but theyre probably cost too much.
    TBH i think nvidias bundled games are better, but still i bought 270X because i knew that kid wanted BF4 to play with his friends,and with mantle update coming it was best price/perf anyhow.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, Radeon 270X & 280X are doing pretty good too in my country, killing their counterparts in their class, perhaps 70-30 or even better. 290 is also pretty competitive but supply is limited while 290X is premium/highly priced (not selling all that well). nVidia highend cards (GTX 770 and up) are damn expensive here, much moreso than their AMD competitors, it almost gets me thinking that nVidia buyers in the developing countries are subsidizing their fellow users in the developed countries (especially USA where nVidia cards are quite competitively priced).
    Rig:

Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 @4.0 GHz watercooled
    AMD Radeon HD 5850 @950 MHz
    4 GB Adata Vitesta
    DFI LanParty X38
    Creative XFi
    2 WDC black 640 GB RAID 0, 2 WDC caviar 1.5 GB
    Silverstone 700 w
    Thermaltake Kandalf
    24" Samsung LCD TV full HD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks to me BRIGHT SIDE OF NEWS didn't talk to the same euro retailer as Hardware.fr did (see the OP) and claiming "GeForce GTX 700 is selling very well and dominate the market against the Radeon R9" or there must be something else wrong, but it's very hard to argue against the real evidence.

LiteCoin is Causing Shortages of AMD Radeon GPUs

Because of this fact, If you go online and try to buy an R9 280X or an R9 290 your options are severely limited. Heck, even the $550 R9 290X is difficult to come by for the very same reasons. We've spoken to some people involved with the retailers and some retailers themselves and we've been finding that most retailers simply have very little to no stock of cards. And this is not for having enough cards coming in, but rather that in some cases back orders are outstripping the incoming stock.

Upon talking with one retailer, we heard them say that this is the best month they have ever had for GPU sales and it is only the 9th of December. Considering that many more cards will be shipped before the end of the month, I suspect that this could be the best month of GPU sales for AMD and most vendors and their retailers, ever.
    Edit 12/10/2013 7:30: We also spoke with a European retailer that stated that they had sold over 1,000 high-end AMD GPUs over the course of last week (starting with Cyber Monday) and that 65% of those sales were multi-GPU sales. They said that they suspect most of those sales were for LiteCoin.

As a result, this retailer and many retailers will likely be sold out of AMD high-end GPUs for the time coming and if you want one and see it is in stock, buy it. Because there is a strong likelihood that you won't see very many cards coming in stock until late December or early January. Sure, there will be some of the new non-reference cooler models coming out, but those are usually produced in lower quantities, especially in their first few runs. I suspect that between these developments and the PS4 and Xbox One selling very well, AMD is going to have an incredibly strong fourth quarter of 2013. One I don't think anyone would have suspected.
    Read much more at bsn, mainly about the LiteCoin

Xtreme Mentor
    This article only lowered my expectations from Maxwell.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast