Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD proprietary API: Mantle

Xtreme Addict

AMD proprietary API: Mantle

From TechSpot

AMD unveils revolutionary 'Mantle' API to optimize GPU performance

At AMD's GPU14 Tech Day event in Hawaii, alongside the brand new Radeon R9 290X GPU, the company has also unveiled a new development model called 'Mantle'. As a combination of both API specifications and GPU drivers, Mantle will allow developers to fully unlock the graphics potential of the GCN 2.0 architecture of the new Radeon series, through low-level high-performance drivers.

Battlefield 4 will be the first title to use Mantle, with the technology coming through a free update in December. Mantle brings greater control of the GPU and CPU to game developers, especially in the memory department, which will allow games to harness the full potential of graphics cards. This model will be more similar to what is found on consoles, where developers have huge control over what hardware they use in their games.

While the technology is still in early stages, EA says it will allow PC game developers to harness even more graphics power than ever before. Where possible, Mantle will be used instead of DirectX 11 on compatible AMD hardware, although it's still compatible with other rendering APIs. AMD claims Mantle enables nine times more draw calls per second than other APIs, which is a huge increase in performance.

We've been told at the GPU14 Tech Day event that the Mantle API is open, so theoretically Nvidia could purpose the technology in their GPUs. It should also make cross-development between PC and console games a lot easier, and also more incredible for those with a high-performance AMD GPU.

More information on Mantle will be available at the AMD Developer Summit in November.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Addict
    I guess I should have bought that HD7950 on sale instead of the GTX 760 for Battlefield 4....FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why do people keep saying proprietary for this? Like AMD could write low level drivers for Nvidia to make it fair.

Xtreme Member
    Nice! It's about time AMD took hold of the reins. It will be nice to see AMD's hardware pushed to it's full potential.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    Why do people keep saying proprietary for this? Like AMD could write low level drivers for Nvidia to make it fair.
    ....wait....what?

Xtreme Addict
    Here is a more detailed explanation of the what, why, and how:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    ....wait....what?
    It's open with no fees, so nvidia could write drivers for it and join in too. Nvidia jumped on board for both 3Dc and TressFX ATI/AMD, so what makes this API 'proprietary'?

The 'open' is the exact opposite to the word 'proprietary' in software, so why did you use the word?

Xtreme Addict
    I don't think you understand what low level means. Low level means direct access to the hardware, without abstraction layers. Nvidia architecture != AMD's architecture.

Xtreme Member
    Also notice that they said that GPU compute will become a lot more important for games. Not so good news for Nvidia.
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

Xtreme Member
    Will be interesting to see where this heads. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

Its about time AMD start to write their own future
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Member
    I said a a few months ago, AMD should start to focus on software and it's nice to see they are doing it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46687.png 
Views:	1549 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	131355

Same hardware, different software, over 100% performance improvement.

Xtreme Member
    I said a a few months ago, AMD should start to focus on software and it's nice to see they are doing it.

Name:	46687.png 
Views:	1549 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	131355

Same hardware, different software, over 100% performance improvement.

Xtreme Addict
    if i were Amd i would kept that exclusive if it really brings that kinda of advantage
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.

Xtreme Member

Name:	epic-jackie-chan-template.png 
Views:	1532 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	131356

However Mantle will be great for the APUs (= Epic Performance Boost).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fottemberg View Post

Name:	epic-jackie-chan-template.png 
Views:	1532 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	131356

However Mantle will be great for the APUs (= Epic Performance Boost).
    This is not proprietary software, even OP's quote says it's not. Here, I even included a definition of the word for you:

"Proprietary software or closed source software is computer software licensed under exclusive legal right of the copyright holder with the intent that the licensee is given the right to use the software only under certain conditions, and restricted from other uses, such as modification, sharing, studying, redistribution, or reverse engineering. Usually the source code of proprietary software is not made available."

Just like Nvidia's FXAA, or AMD's 3Dc texture compression and TressFX, some technology is simply shared without much fuss. If you or the op has a rebuttal that either uses full sentences or doesn't use silly pictures I'll entertain them once you manage to put them together.

Xtreme Member
    Low Level Optimization = Born to be Radeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaJAnnipkY

nVidia could realize its own API, but these shouldn't be Mantle API. Do you remember Glide API?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's low level access, not low level optimisation, there is a huge difference. Nvidia doesn't NEED to make it's own API, they can use Mantle in conjunction with their own drivers.

Xtreme Member
    I don't think so. Mantle is a huge opportunity to trade the XB1/PS4 games to PC, and viceveresa, using the same graphic engines and optimizations. Less money to invest in the expansive process of conversion, because the hardware is the same. Using Mantle with nVidia cards is a non-sense, imho.

I am Xtreme
    Its quite interesting how people forget the past, remember CTM?

The only only thing I see it can get sucessfull if it is 100% compatible with opengl, meaning you just press a button and have your code in opengl. Else it will face the same fate a ctm and get replaced by opengl (for consoles)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fottemberg View Post
    I don't think so. Mantle is a huge opportunity to trade the XB1/PS4 games to PC, and viceveresa, using the same graphic engines and optimizations. Less money to invest in the expansive process of conversion, because the hardware is the same. Using Mantle with nVidia cards is a non-sense, imho.
    AMD have pretty much created a system that removes the biggest bottleneck in PC gaming, it's not about console ports, it's about taking the shackles off developers. If you think engine optimisation is a big expense in game development in comparison to asset creation you're mistaken. Developers can just port over to PC as is, the brute force of the platform makes up for sloppy work, see Demon Souls.

Mantle is a huge advantage, but AMD left it open, with that set up it would be stupid for Nvidia to set up a rival API as EA is already fully behind Mantle, and AMD have too many developers behind them. So Nvidia has two choices step on board to limit damage, and get some performance back or step back and try to counter it some how.

But looking at the history of the two companies, if one side creates something and says it's open, the other side supports it nearly instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Its quite interesting how people forget the past, remember CTM?

The only only thing I see it can get sucessfull if it is 100% compatible with opengl, meaning you just press a button and have your code in opengl. Else it will face the same fate a ctm and get replaced by opengl (for consoles)
    CTM is purely for GPGPU right? It has nothing to do with OpenGL, and AMD threw their weight behind OpenCL.
    Last edited by Iconyu; 09-26-2013 at 02:28 AM.

Xtreme Member
    AMD literary threw another "x86-64" bomb all over again with this move. Very brave decision, indeed!

The new API isn't about some uber smart tech, but a matter of having balls to challenge the stagnant status quo in the PC market, with a solution that actually everyone has been looking for a while, but no one dared to make the first step. And it's no wonder that such actions usually come from the "underdogs".

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mantle is a huge advantage, but AMD left it open, with that set up it would be stupid for Nvidia to set up a rival API

But looking at the history of the two companies, if one side creates something and says it's open, the other side supports it nearly instantly.
    Be interesting to see how NVIDIA responds. I disagree with your rendition of the history... NVIDIA tends to want its technologies "exclusive" to their hardware. Just look at Havok and PhysX.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Be interesting to see how NVIDIA responds. I disagree with your rendition of the history... NVIDIA tends to want its technologies "exclusive" to their hardware. Just look at Havok and PhysX.
    Havok was bought out by Intel and even though Nvidia likes their exclusive stuff, they still adopt open standards (such as DirectX features which is similar to Mantle).
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

I am Xtreme
    It's low level access, not low level optimisation, there is a huge difference.
    All I've read about it points at low level access to GCN features. Please feel free to prove otherwise.

On paper, it does provide low level access, yes. And what's at that level? Hardware architecture. Which is completely different across GPU generations, not even talking about hardware manufacturers. This is why OpenGL and DirectX exist, and this is why they are "high level APIs", meaning abstraction from underlying architecture and hardware.

I don't think what you are trying to convey here is even possible.
    Last edited by zalbard; 09-26-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast