Thread: a few questions related to LN2 exp

Xtreme Member

a few questions related to LN2 exp

hello guys,

After moving around on some extreme cooling forums,i think i finally found my place

Im trying a little LN2 experiment with my AMD rig.Ive read alot of this stuf around but i still have some questions.Maybe someone could help me.

1.what should i use for the buffer container ? i mean the cup used to fill the cpu block with pipe from the dewar?

2.Ive welded the CU pipe to the CU plate with tin (SN).Im not sure it will hold the temperature of liquid nitrogen.Will do? Or should i use brass for it ?

3.It's safe to make the experiment in a room (not outside) and so taking advantage of the air cond. When its boiling,the nitrogen its toxic in breathing?

Well i have at least a dozen more questions but i will really be happy to get an answer for these one.

Xtreme Member
    well,it seems i was wrong about this forum.Thx for the input !
    All*AIr

Xtreme Addict
    there's nitrogen in the air we breath...so its fine to work inside and nitrogen is heavy so it sinks down nyways

Xtreme Hardware Killer
    Styrofoam cup will work great for you as the buffer to the container. I don't think your container will have any trouble at the temps. LN2 boils in it's liquid form at around -196C (-320F) so I suggest you heavily insulate both your board and container not only to keep your temps low, but to save your board from possible cold shock. LN2 will give you extreme cold burns and frost bite if touched, so wear thick gloves when handeling and don't spill any. While nitrogen is in the air it's also a safe idea to have good ventilation in your room as you can become asphyxiated if you breath in too much of the evaporated gas.

Also be aware of blow back. When LN2 is taken from an open container and put into a small one it can build pressure and shoot back, which if it hits your face or eyes could be very problematic. Remember this stuff is not a toy and will hurt you if your not careful. As they say in the phase change forum. "Work safe, work smart."
    Level 80 UD Death Knight on Murmur (Beta)

Xtreme Member
    thank you,guys. I'll be very carefull with this sfuff,taking my time to do not make any mistakes.

Im still worried about about the first contact between LN and the mobo.When the CU pipe its filled for the first time,will my mobo survive or should i use some burn in tests? Like using small amount of LN and then,after my mobo temps will fall,filling to the full capacity of the pipe ?!
    I dont want to end this like Chong's Abit mobo..

I dont exactly know whats a styrofoam cup but do u think if i use (for the buffer container) a plastic cup well isolated with neoprene should work in the same way ??
    All*AIr

Xtreme Hardware Killer
    No, plastic will crystalize and break.

http://www.keysan.com/pictures/fwcp0572.jpg

that is a styrofoam cup.

Oh and a little test run is fine, but I'm telling you to heavily insulate your board from condensaton. That way the chances of short by water are low.
    Level 80 UD Death Knight on Murmur (Beta)

Xtreme Addict
    Um shouldnt you do it outside seing as when it expands to a gas it is 1000 times the amount it was in a liquid? So lets say you have 3liters thats 3000liters of nitrogen and I believe that prolly around what your room could have. So its not toxic persay but it could take away your airsupply and you wouldnt know it because it feels normal to inhale.

Xtreme Addict
    i dunno jsu, i think its pretty safe, nitrogen won't kill u, and its not like he's gonna use that much, the lab i work at in the hospital and another where i volunteer, have at least 7 30 liters barrels of ln, and this guy every week just comes by and refills the barrels (maybe 30 liters, about 15.6 USD total!!!) and when the guy misses, man is it sweet :P, the entire lab maybe 30x30 gets pretty cool, the groud get covered by the vapor but it dissipates realy fast
    this was yesterday so im still alive :P

btw..wat happened to ur jap girl luver jsu? :P

Xtreme Member
    Now i know what's a styrof. cup. It sounds a little strange to me,couse this tiny cup gets very easily deformated even at 70-80+ C. How about a coffee pot,well dressed with neoprene?

Im thinking of it couse my CPU pipe its pretty narrow,only 45mm in diameter and in the middle of the action(emotions and nitrogen vapors) :P, im afraid to miss the spot.

Well,ill do it next week;its so dmn hard to find a dewar in my country.LN2 its pretty cheap but those who sell it dont have containers for it.So i have to look very hard for these dewars. I found one and will cost me 150 US .bleah..

Why didnt anyone built a GPU block for LN2 ? Coz the video card will not survive after the experiment or what ?
    I know the time is short in LN2 benches,but with a few fellows around to help you,it could be time for a 3dmark run. Just a thought...
    All*AIr

Xtreme Addict
    sangboy...ln last a while..i think macci said if u have enough u can run benches for like 8 hours, but im thinking he had quite alot

Xtreme Addict
    a styrofome cup does work! Its a insualtor.

Originally posted by HawainPanda
    and this guy every week just comes by and refills the barrels (maybe 30 liters, about 15.6 USD total!!!) and when the guy misses, man is it sweet :P, the entire lab maybe 30x30 gets pretty cool, the groud get covered by the vapor but it dissipates realy fast
    this was yesterday so im still alive :P

btw..wat happened to ur jap girl luver jsu? :P
    btw does he bring liquid helium also

Xtreme Addict
    i think liquid helium is only to clean(or something) the huge magnet in the mri machines, but i hear...those are super expensive

Xtreme Addict
    um liquid helium is on the inside of the mri creating a super conducter so they dont hav e to constantly put electricity in it. The liquid nitrogen is on the outside of that keeping it cool....

Xtreme Addict
    oh..Lol, ah okey

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    USe 2 styro cups inside each other.....
    Use a well ventilated room
    Always wear gloves
    If you're smart, wear eyewear
    And here's how you start LN2, Install your metal tube rig on cpu...start by pouring in 10-15ml LN2, wait until it boils away (5-6 seconds) then repeat, do it a few times and the plate will be sub-ambient. Drastic temp changes are NOT your friend. So start with a fairly cold base plate, maybe -30C and boot up rig at your benching voltage, watch the temp in BIOS,....go to windows and open clockgen, start adding more and more LN2 (40ml at a time) it will boil away VERY fast at first then about 10 or 15 minutes later, it will get SOO cold in the tube that it lasts a bit longer, but beware, 20 liters may be gone in 60-90 minutes. Watch the temp probe on your base plate and when it hits maybe -80C run benchies, if it works well, try allowing it to dip to -100C repeat then try -120C.........

Xtreme Member
    Very useful tips charlie.Thanks.

Should be ok my work ?

pipe 300:44:1 mm
    plate 80:44:7 mm
    and the neoprene tube its 14mm thick.

What do u think ?

Im benching on sk 462: Barton - M 2600+ IQYHA and Epox nforce2 ultra. On air,its doing 2650@1.90v.How far it will go with LN2 ?

I know on P4 rigs fsb could be adjusted on the fly but on a NForce 2 mobo which soft do i need for a similar job ?

For the mobo insulation ive found only these materials:

dielectric greese
    insulating laquer spray
    neoprene
    silicone sealant
    contact cleaner spray
    foam sheets
    nail varnish

I didnt found liquid electrical tape and cork seal tape;could someone indicate a non-permanent equivalent for these 2 ?

For the liquid electrical tape i found candle wax (melting it over the mobo)
    For cork seal tape --> silicone sealant(its fine for insulation but its permanent)

What do u guys think of these ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	14620  
    Last edited by sang; 07-24-2004 at 07:30 AM.

Xtreme Member
    sorry for the quality.my camera its a piece of .

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	14621  

Xtreme Addict
    cork seal tape( can be found in lots of places, where do u live? some ACE hardware stores have them

Xtreme Addict
    The baseplate seems a bit too thin to me. I'm not the LN2 expert, but a thicker baseplate (1,5-2cm) should give ya better load temps.
    And insulate the socket area very carefull, otherwise your board don't last long

Xtreme Member
    well, finally ive done it.

2600+ M
    kingmax 3700
    HP-350w full moded
    8RDA3i v.2.0 ovp bypassed

i must admit its very funny messing with ln2. especially the smoke...hehe,its going down in a strange way,like no others

many thanks for all who gave me a hand. Next cpu will be an 1800+ Jiuhb Dlt3c.

Xtreme Member
    i need a better power suply

Name:	sandra 3ghz.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	15408