Thread: New Haswell information reguarding voltage regulator

Xtreme Member

New Haswell information reguarding voltage regulator

Saw this today an I have to say, I am a bit worried about this move and the overclocking potential of Haswell. Lets hope this new voltage regulator is controllable. what do you guys think?

SOURCE

Intel's Haswell Takes A Major Step Forward; Integrates Voltage Regulator
    Monday, May 13, 2013 - by Joel Hruska
    For the past decade, AMD and Intel have been racing each other to incorporate more components into the CPU die. Memory controllers, integrated GPUs, northbridges, and southbridges have all moved closer to a single package, known as SoCs (system-on-a-chip). Now, with Haswell, Intel is set to integrate another important piece of circuitry. When it launches next month, Haswell will be the first x86 CPU to include an on-die voltage regulator module, or VRM.

If the idea rings a dim bell, it should. This is an approach Intel first discussed back in 2005 during IDF. At the time, the company showed off a Pentium M 738 with a CMOS voltage regulator on-package and claimed that this allowed the company to save large amounts of power by shifting to low power states much more quickly. In 2005, the technology was nowhere near ready for primetime. Now, it is.

Boosting The Race To Zero:

Haswell incorporates a refined VRM on-die that allows for multiple voltage rails and controls voltage for the CPU, on-die GPU, system I/O, integrated memory controller, as well as several other functions. Intel refers to this as a FIVR (Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator), and it apparently eliminates voltage ripple and is significantly more efficient than your traditional motherboard VRM. Added bonus? It's 1/50th the size.

The good news is that this technique should allow Haswell to draw less power than Ivy Bridge. It'll enter and exit power-saving states more quickly, which allows for more aggressive throttling, and it should run extend system battery life.

The bad news is that building the FIVR on die may hurt CPU temps and overclocking at higher clock speeds. According to leaked (but trustworthy) spec sheets, the upcoming HD 4770K series holds the line on base and turbo clock speeds compared to the 3770K, but increases TDP to 84W, up from 77W. That increase is likely driven by incorporating the FIVR. That doesn't mean the system's power consumption has changed, but a component that used to exist in a separate domain is now being cooled by the CPU heatsink+fan and sits within the same socket.

Whether this ends up shortchanging the CPUs overclocking performance isn't clear yet. Theoretically, the FIVR could become a hot spot under increased load, which would sharply limit OC capability. What's more certain is that the FIVR design is a definite step forward for notebooks, tablets, and smartphones. Haswell is debuting the technology -- we don't know if it's incorporated into the upcoming Silvermont hardware -- but if it works here, it'll be adopted for other products. Long-term, these are the sorts of innovations that'll pry open markets that were traditionally closed to x86 due to high power consumption.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xel_NaGa View Post
    The bad news is that building the FIVR on die may hurt CPU temps and overclocking at higher clock speeds. According to leaked (but trustworthy) spec sheets, the upcoming HD 4770K series holds the line on base and turbo clock speeds compared to the 3770K, but increases TDP to 84W, up from 77W. That increase is likely driven by incorporating the FIVR. That doesn't mean the system's power consumption has changed, but a component that used to exist in a separate domain is now being cooled by the CPU heatsink+fan and sits within the same socket.

Whether this ends up shortchanging the CPUs overclocking performance isn't clear yet. Theoretically, the FIVR could become a hot spot under increased load, which would sharply limit OC capability. What's more certain is that the FIVR design is a definite step forward for notebooks, tablets, and smartphones. Haswell is debuting the technology -- we don't know if it's incorporated into the upcoming Silvermont hardware -- but if it works here, it'll be adopted for other products. Long-term, these are the sorts of innovations that'll pry open markets that were traditionally closed to x86 due to high power consumption.
    I recall having said something like that, here...

Quote Originally Posted by zir_blazer View Post
    Also, when comparing Ivy Bridge vs Haswell on power consumption and heat, I agree with what was said about the VRMs. However, there are a lot of details that I don't know if are available in some form to correctly speculate about it: First, I don't know if the VRMs were integrated on another chip like it is being done on Haswell before, to at least have an idea of its impact on another sample. Second, the VRMs dissipates heat, that in Haswell, will be obviously considered under the TDP budget (Add in the power consumption of the bigger GPU, too) that the Heatsink of it must be able to handle. But I don't know how efficient the regular VRMs on Motherboards usually are (Nor the one on Haswell itself) to know how much it actually represents. And third, even through Haswell got a slighty bigger die size than Ivy Bridge and thus with the same power dissipation, I would expect it to be slighty cooler than a comparable Ivy Bridge assuming all other being the same (TIM, Heatsink, Fan), hotspots on the die could matter a lot. Albeit I know nothing about IC desing, I suppose that the integrated VRM could be a very important hotspot (Considering how hot they usually get on both Motherboards and Video Cards), but not sure if similar or worse than the Core logic. Maybe the VRM hotspot is so bad that it becomes the most limiting factor when overclocking, even if the rest of the die is relatively cool.
    Did someone else already produced any type of chip with integrated VRM that we could compare to a non-VRM version to have an idea of how drastic the change could be?

Banned
    So far it looks like Haswell has been really over-hyped as far as actual performance.

In regards to Haswell's VR it's not going to be easy to surpass a built in VR. Perhaps a mobo trace alterations as in days of yore might work?

Xtreme Addict
    This thing might be nice for daily use pc's, netboxes and HTPC's, we might have to wait for Ivy-E (or even Haswell-E) for a solid performance gain ....

Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

I am Xtreme
    plain lol... has any of you guys you touched it yet ? or just speculating your asses off ?
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

AFAIK the VRMs are supplementary and intended to help with voltage granularity, VRMs will still be needed on the mainboard as well.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

I'm guessing it's only the pwm controller, not fets and coils right? this means the mobo can ignore it like vid and have it's own controller?
    DFI P35 DK T2RS, Rev. AA0, Bios DK35DA31 (Oct/31/2007)
    E8400 Q745A357 @ 8*500MHz. w. 1.375v, Tuniq Tower 120.
    Team Group Dark Xtreme 2x1GB PC6400(c4-4-4-12, 2.0-2.2v) @ 500Mhz c5-5-5-16, w. 2.1v
    XFX GeForce8800 GTX 768M @ 648/1512/2000 MHz.
    Sata1&3 :Raid0 2*Seagate Barra 120GB/7k2/8M/Sata I
    Sata4: Samsung HD501LJ 500GB/7k2/16M/Sata II
    Sata5: Nec/Optiarc 7173S Sata I, Media burner
    Onboard sound
    Seasonic S12-600w

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    plain lol... has any of you guys you touched it yet ? or just speculating your asses off ?
    i can tell one thing when overclocking...welcome to nehalem v2

How much will we have to pay for it?
    Last edited by Fritz_the_germ; 05-18-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: none
    AMD 7800X3D@watercool-Heatkiller IV Pro| ASUS Crosshair X670E Hero | NVidia Founders Edition 4090 @watercool_Waterblock H²O@Mo-Ra3|Seasonic Fokus-GX 1000W| 2*16 GB G.Skill@F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB |Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen4, Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB| Cooler Master CoSmoS II |LG OLED42C21LA 106 cm (42 Zoll)|Windows 11 Prof. 64 bit
    Sound: AVR-X3600H@5.1 Nubert-NuVero70

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz_the_germ View Post
    How much will we have to pay for it?
    Same launch prices with Ivy Bridge's
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    you understand it wrong, its not PWM + coils + caps in CPU, but only iVR in CPU, motherboards PWM is the same like in past, but CPU feeds only TWO voltages not FIVE like on IB ...

Xtreme Addict
    By the end of week I'm sure there will be plenty of overclocking results starting to surface.

Specimens are out in the wild, and by next week there will probably be retail malay results posted in Asia by non NDA sources.

A retail 4770k is already posted on eBay.
    Last edited by LagunaX; 05-18-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    i7-2600k L041C108 4.8ghz 1.32v PLL off Venomous-X Push/Pull http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1063
    Asus P8P67 Vanilla
    Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D/US 2x4GB @ 9-10-10-28 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=159320
    Diamond HD 7970
    WD 600GB Velociraptor
    Corsair TX750W
    CM 690 II Advanced

Q822A549 E8500 @ 4.5ghz air TRUE @ http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=203762

G.Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH @ 7-10-8-27 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=266839

Xtreme Member
    ocing is not surprise, worst then ivy bridge, worst the sandy bridge ... thats all

Xtreme Mentor
    It sucks :/

4.6-4.7 max on air ? That's it ?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by PedantOne View Post
    you understand it wrong, its not PWM + coils + caps in CPU, but only iVR in CPU, motherboards PWM is the same like in past, but CPU feeds only TWO voltages not FIVE like on IB ...
    what do you think makes a VRM?

I am Xtreme
    Air and water guys have SB, LN2 benchers have IB and Haswell... And justice for all...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    sb is history in all benches now,diff is huge between sb and hasswell