Thread: Looking at getting a small tablet for ~300? and google Nexus 7

Xtreme Member

Looking at getting a small tablet for ~300? and google Nexus 7

Hi, I've been looking around the net for a nice little tablet I can use for books/browsing and movies, maybe some light gaming and I've decided that it's probably gonna be the google nexus 7 but I dont know whether I should get the HSPA+ version or the 32Gb wifi only version. I have a sprint phone and I was wondering whether I could use it as some sort of a tether/wifi hotspot if I had the wifi only nexus 7? I have asked in the sprint forums whether I can get a plan for a nexus 7 HSPA+ but paying 50$ less for the wifi only which could essentially do the same thing for a bit of work would be great. Also if you guys have any better recommendations for tablets im all ears my maximum budget is $300. Thanks.
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
    Memory: 2x4gb Kingston HyperX @ 1600Mhz
    Graphics: Sapphire 6950 Toxic on BenQ XL2420TE
    Board: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    Power: Corsair AX850W (70A)

HEATware
    Currently playing: Planetside 2, Dead Space 3, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Xtreme Mentor
    I just recently got a Nexus 7 (16gb) and really enjoy it. You would have to get a data plan for your Nexus 7 through a GSM phone carrier (ATT or T mobile in the US) if you wanted to be able to use an HSPA+ connection. That being said if you are reasonable comfortable tinkering with software on your phone you could probably root it and use that to WIFI tether with your tablet on the go. There have been some apps come out recently that allow you to use WIFI tether (hotspot) without having to be rooted, Foxfi (sp?) would be the only one coming to mind right now and I cannot comment on how well they work as I have never used any non root tether apps. Which phone do you have, if you are interested in learning about rooting there are many good websites for that.