Thread: What is IB 3570k die offset distance from PCB (Cooling mod Idea help....)

Xtreme Member

What is IB 3570k die offset distance from PCB (Cooling mod Idea help....)

I'm thinking 1mm but I am not sure.

Somebody know for certain?

I recently De-lidded my i5-3570k and my temps dropped over 12C average per core with direct die mount. NO IHS.

Thinking of ways to improve my cooling I have come up with a mod that might work.

I want to lay down a perfectly cut non electrical conductive thermal pad around the die.

It has to be just the right offset so that it doesn't interfere with the contact area of the bare die yet is thick enough to make good contact with pcb and my water block.

Goal of this mod is to increase the contact area to increase thermal transfer from the cpu.

I'm looking at these thermal pads from FrozenCPU.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g8/c...ads-Page1.html

PI in the face
    I would just go for a really thick one that will compress a bit should be good. do you have any problems with the die scratching yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Splave View Post
    I would just go for a really thick one that will compress a bit should be good. do you have any problems with the die scratching yet?

I am not using the IHS. What kind of scratching do you mean?

I have to be very careful with IC Diamond when I remove it to avoid scratching. I plan on dabbing it with a cotton swab of Goo Off and letting it soak for minute then dab it with a micro fiber cloth. I'm not going to rub it off. Dab it off to avoid scratching die. I'm looking for a better TIM right now. I want something less abrasive. I don't think anything is scratched.

I would like a slightly thicker thermal pad to slightly offset the height of the die so that when mounted it is compressed for good thermal pad contact and good die to mount contact.

VonDutch at overclock.net helped me find the answer to my question.

According to measurements taken by Idontcare at Anandtech forums the CPU silicon die is offset a mere 0.53 mm from the pcb.

So it looks like my best bet is to get the 1mm thickness Thermalpad and then hope that it will compress under pressure to .53mm thickness. I think it is possible since most thermal pads do give way. 1mm may be the perfect size.

Once I do this mod I will post results.

XIP
    http://www.bergquistcompany.com/ther...w-TIC1000A.htm

One of the local oem, peeps can ask for samples.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    http://www.bergquistcompany.com/ther...w-TIC1000A.htm

One of the local oem, peeps can ask for samples.

Which of their thermal pads would be best for my mod?

Xtreme Member
    I ended up trying some 1mm thermal pads but they were not thin enough and I was unable to get a good mount so I decided to can the idea for now.

Xtreme Member
    Thermal pads that large will be difficult to compress more than about 10% try and get some .6mm but I am doubtfull that it will do anything for temperatures. But it will help protect the die a bit if you aren't using the heat spreader.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbster1966 View Post
    Thermal pads that large will be difficult to compress more than about 10% try and get some .6mm but I am doubtfull that it will do anything for temperatures. But it will help protect the die a bit if you aren't using the heat spreader.
    I tried to thin it down but couldn't manage to get a good mount with it and my CPU would not post. Got an error 55. After about 3 on and off mounts with the error 55 I took off the thermal pad and then was able to post but still didn't have a good mount. Took about 5 or 6 mounts to get a good mount so now I am thinking about leaving it alone. I would like to try the Thermal Pad again but it didn't work out the first few attempts and mounting bare die is kind of tricky to get the perfect fit.

This is what my DIE looked like with the Liquid Pro and Thermal Pad around it.

This is what I used: Fujipoly Extreme System Builder Thermal Pad - 60 x 50 x 1.0 - Thermal Conductivity 11.0 W/mK

FrozenCPU sells it.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16...tl=g8c487s1294

The stuff is easily compressed. I think I can flatten it out with a bakers roller but its tough to get the perfect fit. When I have some time I want to try to get the fit and mount to work with Liquid Pro TIM and this Fujipoly Thermal Pad that I have.

XIP
    Why you put tp around the die?

Xtreme Member
    Why you put tp around the die?
    The idea is to help lower temps, lower any electrical noise from cpu and provide some pcb support against the block. If it fit perfectly the TIM would have good contact as well as the PCB.

XIP
    Imo, rather than wasting good tp just for pcb support you can use some velcro or armaflex patches on four corners of pcb like we did with yonah cpu and amd t'bred...

Last edited by Dumo; 10-22-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Imo, rather than wasting good tp just for pcb support you can use some velcro or armaflex patches on four corners of pcb like we did with yonah cpu and amd t'bred...

The problem is finding the right height. IB is reported to be about .55mm offset from PCB. I like the idea of Thermal Pad because it absorbs some heat and is easy to flatten down. Just need the perfect height to allow for good contact on die and thermal pad.

Xtreme Member
    Earlier today I had an idea that I think is going to work.

A few weeks ago I did some contact pressure test with my DT SNIPER water Block and i5-3570k IHS and I think a .5mm thick Fujipoly Extreme pad will work. I think my DT Sniper block is bowed on the sides so the sides should make contact with the Thermal pad and the center should make contact with the die.

Here is photo of contact pressure test with the IHS and DT Sniper water block.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPTDIEhorizontalDTSNIPER.JPG 
Views:	664 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	130855

Here is contact pressure test with DT SNIPER water block directly mounted to i5-3570k.

Name:	Deliddirectcontacti53570kDTSniper5.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	130856

I think it will work.

Will try in the next few days and post results.
    Last edited by SonDa5; 10-25-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Fujipoly Extreme .5 mm thickness is in place. I think it is going to work.

Name:	3570kbarewithLPnFujipolyextremeonPCB.jpg 
Views:	7217 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	130871

Side view of DT SNIPER mounted NO IHS directly on 3570k with Coolaboratory Liquid Pro and Fujipoly Extreme .5mm thickness thermal pad around die in between block and PCB.

Name:	DTSNIPERSIDEDirECTDiEmOUNT3570k.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	130872

As soon as I get my loop put back together I am going to see if it boots.

Xtreme Member
    I just completed my loop upgrades along with adding a layer around the die of Fujipoly Extreme .5mm thermal pad for support and to help cool.
    I'm very happy with my initial results.
    Just a quick and dirty standard run of Intel Burn Test right now.

Ambient Temp 17.6C
    i5-3570k@4.5GHZ 1.14V
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2578618

Minumum temps
    16C 19C 16C 11C

Maximum temps
    43C 47C 46C 40C

Xtreme Member
    Victory at last!!!

Ambient Temps 18.6C
    IBT quick and dirty standard run

5GHZ@1.37v

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2578924

Idle Temps

21C 24C 21C 18C

Maximum Temps

62C 70C 67C 62C

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very nice, looks like it was well worth the effort in the end. That is some nice temps for that speed.

Xtreme Cruncher
    What do you use to clean the liquid pro off the die?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I used the Alcohol pad that comes with it for any surface.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yes...ethyl alcohol dissolves the liquid metal..nice job there buddy!
    hersounds powered by 121 % overclocking Machine http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=220390 - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1917405

facebook.com/hersounds

Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4,5 Ghz 24/7 - Galaxy HOF GTX 780 - 8 GB Team Group Xtreem 2666 Cas 11 - 8Gb Avexir Core series 2800 Blue Led - Maximus VI Formula Armor TUF - Corsair Force GT 120 GB SATA 3 - Galaxy Hall of fame 1200 hersounds Limited edition Modular - Antec 620 dual fan mod

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hersounds View Post
    yes...ethyl alcohol dissolves the liquid metal..nice job there buddy!

Thanks. I think I am the first to try this and the idea seems to be working. Looking forward to other people trying it out to see if it works for others. I was thinking it might work out with the IHS on as well to help form contact with bottom of IHS. Would need to be perfect fit.

Thinking about selling this 3570k and getting a 3770k since some nice deals are popping up on the 3770k.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SonDa5 View Post
    Thanks. I think I am the first to try this and the idea seems to be working. Looking forward to other people trying it out to see if it works for others. I was thinking it might work out with the IHS on as well to help form contact with bottom of IHS. Would need to be perfect fit.

Thinking about selling this 3570k and getting a 3770k since some nice deals are popping up on the 3770k.
    I do the same big difference then!
    hersounds powered by 121 % overclocking Machine http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=220390 - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1917405

facebook.com/hersounds

Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4,5 Ghz 24/7 - Galaxy HOF GTX 780 - 8 GB Team Group Xtreem 2666 Cas 11 - 8Gb Avexir Core series 2800 Blue Led - Maximus VI Formula Armor TUF - Corsair Force GT 120 GB SATA 3 - Galaxy Hall of fame 1200 hersounds Limited edition Modular - Antec 620 dual fan mod