Thread: Macbook Pro or Air 13"?

Xtreme Gamer

Macbook Pro or Air 13"?

I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should get the newly released Macbook 13" Pro or 13" Air. Ideally I would like the new slimmed down version of the 13" Pro with Retina, but Apple didn't release one

Im going traveling for 5 months and leave next month, and will most likely have the laptop on me all the time. I like that the Air is smaller, but im concerned it will not have enough power for me.

Does anyone have experience with the new Ivy bridge air, is it fast enough for your needs?

I would mainly be doing normal tasks on it, i.e. word processing, browsing, etc. But I also enjoy gaming, would either one be suitable for Diablo 3 for example?

Ive never owned a macbook before so any help would be appreciated Is the pro even worth getting anymore, now that the new retina one is out, or should i just buy something cheap for my travels and wait for the 13 inch retina?
    Intel i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz 24/7
    Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
    Asus Radeon HD 6990
    Corsair Dominator GT 6GB
    Corsair AX1200, 600T
    Intel X25-M 160GB
    Dell U3011 30" Monitor

According to some reports, 13inch Retina MacBook pro will come by the end of this year. I would suggest you to get Air right now and get the 13inch Retina Pro when it comes out.

Btw you should also look into Ultrabooks; Samsung 9 series, Lenovo U300s and ASUS Zenbook are some good option.

Xtremely Addicted
    Was in the same boat this week and got me the 13" pro, my first as wel. For my needs its small/light enough and the better processor made me go for this one. Wil change the optical drive to a SSD and upgrade to 2x4 1866mhz ram next week. I like the idea that you are a bit more flexible with a pro and can upgrade it a little along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Viss View Post
    Was in the same boat this week and got me the 13" pro, my first as wel. For my needs its small/light enough and the better processor made me go for this one. Wil change the optical drive to a SSD and upgrade to 2x4 1866mhz ram next week. I like the idea that you are a bit more flexible with a pro and can upgrade it a little along the way.
    you can n longer upgrade anything but the HDD in the macbook pro, and then you risk breaking things since they decided to use alot of glue and soldered ram.

if you want to play d3 you need the 15" pro, and if you are not getting the retna go to the apple store and get the late 2011 model with amd graphics. though it seams like you do not really need OSX for anything so you could get a 13-14" windows ultrabook with a graphics card for less than the macbook air.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I'm looking at getting the 2012 Macbook Air 13. I have considered the latest zenbook and samsung series 9, but they are a lot more expensive here. Funnily enough the Air is the cheaper option, and thats after paying 25% more than US prices (in my country).

Xtreme Gamer
    I was leaning towards the Pro, but now im leaning towards the Air lol. They both cost exactly the same here.The only ultrabook that I like is the new Asus zenbook 13, i dunno i kinda want to try a macbook lol

if i get the air now, i would have to sell it when the retina 13 comes out cuz thats what i really want ...argh they're worse than crack dealers!
    Intel i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz 24/7
    Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
    Asus Radeon HD 6990
    Corsair Dominator GT 6GB
    Corsair AX1200, 600T
    Intel X25-M 160GB
    Dell U3011 30" Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Reflex1 View Post
    I was leaning towards the Pro, but now im leaning towards the Air lol. They both cost exactly the same here.The only ultrabook that I like is the new Asus zenbook 13, i dunno i kinda want to try a macbook lol

if i get the air now, i would have to sell it when the retina 13 comes out cuz thats what i really want ...argh they're worse than crack dealers!
    the 13" the pro and air are basically the same, they both have no gpu, they run the same ram and a similar cpu. if you want to play any games you need the 15" or to look someware else. the asus zen x31 with the 1080p ips panel looks awesome and it has a slow gpu but it should play d3 on low were the intel 4000 will not.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi