Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project "Little Angel": My return to water cooling!

Xtreme Member

- Sponsors -

Aquatuning España / Atlas Informática / NZXT
    ProSilentPC / Seasonic / IzarMicro

Gracias a todos los sponsors por colaborar en el proyecto.
    Many thanks to all the sponsors for the support given to this project

Quote Originally Posted by Edited View Post
    Hi again!

- Suprisingly short on data for the fans. I hope they work well. A quick google search revealed that thy put up around 50 cfm

- Agreed on the reservoir, allthough I am a big fan of the Bitspower Z Multitube because of it's simplicity. There are tiny nozzles in the bottom of the res to prevent cyclones in the res. Top notch! However, I don't see them on aquatuning.

- About the rads; the Coolgates have a clear advantage since it har more in/outlets for whatever purpose you want. It also allows you to put two coolgates in parallel in the bottom of the V8. The fins spaceing and the materials used in both Black Ice and Coolagetes are both quite similar AFAIK, and they are both tareted against mid speed fans such as your NZXT fans.

- XSPC Raystorm is a nice block, indeed! I would have gone for white LED's and white tubeing to match up Maybe paint the top and bracket white? My favourite will tho allways be EKWB Supreme HF Cu (Full Nickel).

- Yes, buy a Cayman based GPU, 6970 and upgrade when the new 7-series ships. Put a EK White Acetal+Nickel on there, it looks so damn nice! The custom backplate is a nice idea.
    - I know about the Bitspower Z reservoir, I discovered that while looking for the "mini" tank they have, and also discovered about the anti-cyclone nozzle by looking to a worklog, looks very nice indeed!

- I think I will give Coolgate a try then... what plan did you follow to link both rads in the bottom? Hardpipe? I was thinking use a SLI connector to link them together, that would look nice imho

- I will go with XSPC Raystorm but I think I will keep everything Black, since I'm planing to add a 3rd colour into the mix beside Black and White... I think you will like it

- I already own a 6970 from Sapphire, so I will add another and go for Crossfire and Wait I guess... I think that block you linked is not compatible with my card, the part number is SKU: 21187-00-40R but it's not the Battlefield Vietnam version... If I use EKWB configurator I don't get the White acetal version
    I got to choose between: Nickel + Acetal , Plain Nickel, Plain Acetal
    I think I like the Nickel + Black Acetal and maybe could add "white" custom black plate or Black with some details with the 3rd colour I will use

My card is Sapphire 6970 2GB GDDR5 - SKU: 21187-00-40R, I guess this blocks are 100% compatible!

Quote Originally Posted by LeandroJVarini View Post
    Promising project! I love white case!
    Thanks friend!
    Last edited by SoMBrA; 03-02-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks to: - [ Aquatuning | Atlas Informática | NZXT | ProSilentPC | Seasonic | IzarMicro ] -

Quote Originally Posted by SoMBrA View Post
    - I know about the Bitspower Z reservoir, I discovered that while looking for the "mini" tank they have, and also discovered about the anti-cyclone nozzle by looking to a worklog, looks very nice indeed!

- I think I will give Coolgate a try then... what plan did you follow to link both rads in the bottom? Hardpipe? I was thinking use a SLI connector to link them together, that would look nice imho

- I will go with XSPC Raystorm but I think I will keep everything Black, since I'm planing to add a 3rd colour into the mix beside Black and White... I think you will like it

- I already own a 6970 from Sapphire, so I will add another and go for Crossfire and Wait I guess... I think that block you linked is not compatible with my card, the part number is SKU: 21187-00-40R but it's not the Battlefield Vietnam version... If I use EKWB configurator I don't get the White acetal version
    I got to choose between: Nickel + Acetal , Plain Nickel, Plain Acetal
    I think I like the Nickel + Black Acetal and maybe could add "white" custom black plate or Black with some details with the 3rd colour I will use

My card is Sapphire 6970 2GB GDDR5 - SKU: 21187-00-40R, I guess this blocks are 100% compatible!

Thanks friend!
    Hi again! Nicely coming along, now!

-

- We did not hardpipe it. Indeed it looks nice, but we found that there was some disadvantages puting both inlets in front regarding the layout of the waterloop;

We used theese parts for the rads;
    - 6x bitspower 90 degree rotary fitting
    - 4x bitspower 10mm G1/4
    - 6x of your chosen fittings
    - Some feet of tubeing.

Here is how we set it up;

Schematic seen from above, relative to the case. The extenders were used where the "purple tube" are. Perfect fit! That was also one of the reasons why we used 3/8 ID + 5/8 OD: There is limited space between the PSU holder.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SchematicsRadatorV8_1.png 
Views:	2740 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	121227

Schematic 2, just showing parallel in duty.

Name:	SchematicsRadatorV8_2.png 
Views:	2727 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	121230

Ask any questions! Im to tired to think, lol

- Raystorm is a good choice! Just saw a graph here the other day, and it showed that it has less restriction than the Supreme HF - that makes it the least restrictive of all the popular blocks on the market per date.

- CF 6970 is never wrong! Dont know about the custom backplate. I have seen many have tried it, but most of them failed. I hope you change that To bad there is none pure white blocks for that 6970 series. What colour is the PCB?

Edit; Concidered this? I think the give 655/D5 a good look!
    Bitspower MCP655 modified top: Clicky 1. Comes in three varieties as single top, and some as dual top.
    Bitspower MCP655 housing mod: Clicky 2. Comes in Chrome, Black Sparkle and Matte Black (aka Black Diamond). Can only be used with Original top or Bitspower top.
    Last edited by Edited; 10-13-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Hi again! Nicely coming along, now!

-

- We did not hardpipe it. Indeed it looks nice, but we found that there was some disadvantages puting both inlets in front regarding the layout of the waterloop;

We used theese parts for the rads;
    - 6x bitspower 90 degree rotary fitting
    - 4x bitspower 10mm G1/4
    - 6x of your chosen fittings
    - Some feet of tubeing.

Here is how we set it up;

Schematic seen from above, relative to the case. The extenders were used where the "purple tube" are. Perfect fit! That was also one of the reasons why we used 3/8 ID + 5/8 OD: There is limited space between the PSU holder.

Name:	SchematicsRadatorV8_1.png 
Views:	2740 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	121227

Schematic 2, just showing parallel in duty.

Name:	SchematicsRadatorV8_2.png 
Views:	2727 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	121230

Ask any questions! Im to tired to think, lol

- Raystorm is a good choice! Just saw a graph here the other day, and it showed that it has less restriction than the Supreme HF - that makes it the least restrictive of all the popular blocks on the market per date.

- CF 6970 is never wrong! Dont know about the custom backplate. I have seen many have tried it, but most of them failed. I hope you change that To bad there is none pure white blocks for that 6970 series. What colour is the PCB?

Edit; Concidered this? I think the give 655/D5 a good look!
    Bitspower MCP655 modified top: Clicky 1. Comes in three varieties as single top, and some as dual top.
    Bitspower MCP655 housing mod: Clicky 2. Comes in Chrome, Black Sparkle and Matte Black (aka Black Diamond). Can only be used with Original top or Bitspower top.

- First of all thanks for all the help and tips!

- The schematic you provided look really nice and make perfect sense... I really like that inlet-outlet configuration because the loop routing would be much better as you say... maybe I copy that idea
    Too bad I have only 3 x 90º adapters only hehe! Maybe I use instead a once piece extender instead of tubing (or 2 extenders instead, to avoide using tubing I would like to do so
    I don't understand 2nd schema btw..

- I'm not sure about the PCB colour of the 6970 I have! That's a good question... I already sent an e-mail to ask for a custom 6970 backplate

- And yes, I'm going to use Bitspower Dual Top with Dual D5's + Dressing Kit, and I think I will go all black for those... my bitspower pumping station!

Thanks to: - [ Aquatuning | Atlas Informática | NZXT | ProSilentPC | Seasonic | IzarMicro ] -

Xtreme Member
    A small update before going to sleep!
    I just finisehd removing all speed controller and sleeving from NZXT fans

I left the 2 140mm fans to the end, and I was surprised when I removed the sticker and saw that there was no access to the internal PCB...

I had 2 options. First was to solder the fan controller wires together to avoid reaching the PCB or the second which was make a cut into the plastic of the fan and get to the PCB to remove the wires from the speed controller and link the connector in the PCB

I was afraid to damage the PCB, the body of the fan (more than intended) or even cut the wires!
    My dremel had only big discs so I had to cut the plastic really slow

Not the best cut in the world, but at least I didn't damage the PCB, Wires, fan, and since the hole will be covered with a custom sticker I don't care that much

After 24 hours of hard work I ended up doing this cool NZXT logo to cover the hole
    Well at least you can imagine how the fan will look once the stickers are ready

Thumbs up

- First of all thanks for all the help and tips!

- The schematic you provided look really nice and make perfect sense... I really like that inlet-outlet configuration because the loop routing would be much better as you say... maybe I copy that idea
    Too bad I have only 3 x 90º adapters only hehe! Maybe I use instead a once piece extender instead of tubing (or 2 extenders instead, to avoide using tubing I would like to do so
    I don't understand 2nd schema btw..

- I'm not sure about the PCB colour of the 6970 I have! That's a good question... I already sent an e-mail to ask for a custom 6970 backplate

- And yes, I'm going to use Bitspower Dual Top with Dual D5's + Dressing Kit, and I think I will go all black for those... my bitspower pumping station!

Hòla! El amor para ayudar! (I tried spanish, yay!)

Firstm great job on the fans. Looks like a PITA.

- Nice! Yes, do as you please with the schem, but bear in mind the hose thickness regarding the PSU support. How would you use the extenders? The second schematic just show parallel config in working duty, such as in EK's parallel bridges for GPU. The pressure from the inlet will split even when entering the radiator. The first half will go directly into radiator #2, cool, and do it's job there before exiting. The second half will go in to radiator #1, cool, and exit directly into radiator #2's outlet pocket. Here, the pressure picks up to 100% again.

The purpose of this is to supply both radiators with fresh, cold water even tho it is in the same loop. Yes, the pressure will be split even over the two rads, that means less pressure over the rads, but more heat exchange. This allows the lowest temperatures possible, and will work optimally with the fan configuration shown in schem #1.

- Would be nice if it was black, it's sort of a color that fits everywhere. Who is making the backplate?

- Very nice choice! BP PumpStation.. Sounds nice!

Once, again; good luck!

Xtreme Member
    Hòla! El amor para ayudar! (I tried spanish, yay!)

Firstm great job on the fans. Looks like a PITA.

- Nice! Yes, do as you please with the schem, but bear in mind the hose thickness regarding the PSU support. How would you use the extenders? The second schematic just show parallel config in working duty, such as in EK's parallel bridges for GPU. The pressure from the inlet will split even when entering the radiator. The first half will go directly into radiator #2, cool, and do it's job there before exiting. The second half will go in to radiator #1, cool, and exit directly into radiator #2's outlet pocket. Here, the pressure picks up to 100% again.

The purpose of this is to supply both radiators with fresh, cold water even tho it is in the same loop. Yes, the pressure will be split even over the two rads, that means less pressure over the rads, but more heat exchange. This allows the lowest temperatures possible, and will work optimally with the fan configuration shown in schem #1.

- Would be nice if it was black, it's sort of a color that fits everywhere. Who is making the backplate?

- Very nice choice! BP PumpStation.. Sounds nice!

Once, again; good luck!
    - WOW superb spanish skills xD

- The fans are very nice looking and come in a great package (if you remove the controller they are just great but not everybody wants 2600rpm fans spining with no control!)

- A friend told me to follow that air flow schema aswell, blow fresh air from both sides into the case and the 140mm in front will help to exhaust the air to the back.
    I think I'm going to go overkill and get dual PSU so I will order the DUAL PSU Extender, that way I will have a lot of room to play with, what do you think?
    Overkill is good
    Might use the second PSU to connect all the fans, pumps, aquaero etc and leave the other PSU for the CPU - GPU only .
    Having full modular PSU will help me with my custom wires (in length I mean, dont want to use extensions for cables)

- Sent e-mail to ColdZero guys in Portugal and I'm waiting on a confirmation just to make sure It's possible to do so :pray:

- I really love bitspower... I think I have about 500€ worth in Bitspower fittings and I think I will need more

I was thinking in using black and white tubing, white for most of the loop but some small details in black would look nice to hide tubing where needed (for example SLI link if I go for 3 slot SLI tubing bridge)
    I bought Primochill Primoflex but I see a lot of people buying Masterkleer aswell... anything to say about Primochill? I have the white tubing and looks very good!

Is nice to read you Edited!

- WOW superb spanish skills xD

- The fans are very nice looking and come in a great package (if you remove the controller they are just great but not everybody wants 2600rpm fans spining with no control!)

- A friend told me to follow that air flow schema aswell, blow fresh air from both sides into the case and the 140mm in front will help to exhaust the air to the back.
    I think I'm going to go overkill and get dual PSU so I will order the DUAL PSU Extender, that way I will have a lot of room to play with, what do you think?
    Overkill is good
    Might use the second PSU to connect all the fans, pumps, aquaero etc and leave the other PSU for the CPU - GPU only .
    Having full modular PSU will help me with my custom wires (in length I mean, dont want to use extensions for cables)

- Sent e-mail to ColdZero guys in Portugal and I'm waiting on a confirmation just to make sure It's possible to do so :pray:

- I really love bitspower... I think I have about 500€ worth in Bitspower fittings and I think I will need more

I was thinking in using black and white tubing, white for most of the loop but some small details in black would look nice to hide tubing where needed (for example SLI link if I go for 3 slot SLI tubing bridge)
    I bought Primochill Primoflex but I see a lot of people buying Masterkleer aswell... anything to say about Primochill? I have the white tubing and looks very good!

Is nice to read you Edited!
    - Haha! ¡Gracias amigo! Now, you try some norwegian!

- Very nice! Overkill is always nice! I'd like to see if it is possible to do dual PSU with that config. With standard backplate (we used a 1500 Watt Silverstone Strider), we just managed to fit both fans (92mm and 140mm) in the bottom of the case (Front/Back). It was probably 1 - 2mm's between the 90 degree inlet/outlet and the fans Keep that i mind for the dual PSU's also!
    Nice plan for the PSU layout. It's over 9000 times easier to resleeve, mod and route cables for a 100% modular PSU. (Antec TruePower 1kW+ back in the days... oh god!)

- Those ColdZero guys are insane. Seen som of their recent builds. Hope they will help you out.

- You can never get enough bitspower stuff. I think my client used something like tat for his build also. Snake rotaries are the most expensive ones - and most helpful

- I have never used Primochill, but I've read great things about the LRT-series. I have used Masterkleer some times.
    - White Masterkleer 3/8ID, 5/8OD = Great! Good tube!
    - White Masterkleer 3/8ID, 1/2OD = Even better! No need for clamps over reguler Bitspower fittings.
    - Clear Masterkleer 3/8ID, 1/2OD = Worst type of tubeing I have EVER used. did not even sit half flush over EK Comp. barbs, in fact it fell off when it got warm and caused a big leak. ("imploded").
    I have also used Tygon R-3603-series, and that is also top notch

¡Buena suerte! Manghe saludos desde Noruega. lol ^^

Xtreme Member
    - Haha! ¡Gracias amigo! Now, you try some norwegian!

- Very nice! Overkill is always nice! I'd like to see if it is possible to do dual PSU with that config. With standard backplate (we used a 1500 Watt Silverstone Strider), we just managed to fit both fans (92mm and 140mm) in the bottom of the case (Front/Back). It was probably 1 - 2mm's between the 90 degree inlet/outlet and the fans Keep that i mind for the dual PSU's also!
    Nice plan for the PSU layout. It's over 9000 times easier to resleeve, mod and route cables for a 100% modular PSU. (Antec TruePower 1kW+ back in the days... oh god!)

- Those ColdZero guys are insane. Seen som of their recent builds. Hope they will help you out.

- You can never get enough bitspower stuff. I think my client used something like tat for his build also. Snake rotaries are the most expensive ones - and most helpful

- I have never used Primochill, but I've read great things about the LRT-series. I have used Masterkleer some times.
    - White Masterkleer 3/8ID, 5/8OD = Great! Good tube!
    - White Masterkleer 3/8ID, 1/2OD = Even better! No need for clamps over reguler Bitspower fittings.
    - Clear Masterkleer 3/8ID, 1/2OD = Worst type of tubeing I have EVER used. did not even sit half flush over EK Comp. barbs, in fact it fell off when it got warm and caused a big leak. ("imploded").
    I have also used Tygon R-3603-series, and that is also top notch

¡Buena suerte! Manghe saludos desde Noruega. lol ^^
    Ditt tips hjelper meg mye!
    I thought that the 92mm exhaust fan won't fit at all with the quad rads but you managed to do that with the Strider! Good work

I was going to ask you If you used any custom midplate.
    I was thinking in doing so, to cover some of the "un-needed" holes we see there, but probably an acrylic one to have some subtle lighting...
    Clear Acrylic with black vinyl to have some contrast with the white interior... will have to think about this, I'm not a big fan of lights hehe

I'm also going to do some "test" sleeving with colour samples to see what fits the best... I think you will like it, but have to check that first!

- Nice info about the tubing, I will stick with Primochill then so I don't mix tubing

Xtreme Member
    I have a problem!

The 6970 from Sapphire I have has SKU #21187-00-40R, and It's impossible to find another identical card, since all the new models are SKU #11187-00-40R.
    Maybe this does not affect Crossfire performance, but the water blocks do change, and I don't want to use different blocks :S

I was thinking:

Sell 1 x 6970 (21187-00-40R) and Buy 2 x Identical 6970 (11187-00-40R) ----> Then I can use same water blocks!
    Sell 1 x 6970 (21187-00-40R) and buy 2 x GTX 580 -----> ¿?¿?
    Keep 1 x 6970 (21187-00-40R) and buy 1 x 6990 -----> ¿?¿? What I don't like about this setup is the use of different blocks again...

What would you do?

Xtreme Member
    double post :S
    Last edited by SoMBrA; 10-15-2011 at 06:11 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I am nvidia fan would tell you to buy two GTX580! rsrsrsrsrsr

Or sell your current purchase two equal if you do not need to buy new blocks

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeandroJVarini View Post
    I am nvidia fan would tell you to buy two GTX580! rsrsrsrsrsr

Or sell your current purchase two equal if you do not need to buy new blocks
    I think I will sell my current card If I don't loose much money... It's only 10 months old!

I like the MSI Ligthning since they are Black PCB but there are no full cover blocks !!

I think I will have to buy the Sapphire 6970's but the new revision that work with the EK V2 Blocks... Too bad they are Blue PCB

Hi mate!

To the pont;

- Sell 1 x 6970 (21187-00-40R) and Buy 2 x Identical 6970 (11187-00-40R) ----> Then I can use same water blocks!
    Would work.

This would be very expensive. 2 WB's + 2 GTX 580 3GB's.. Hmm

Keep 1 x 6970 (21187-00-40R) and buy 1 x 6990 -----> ¿?¿? What I don't like about this setup is the use of different blocks again...
    - Also very expensive, but coops with your current card.

This is my two cents;

I don't think you will get much for a 10 month old card, really. maybe 50 - 60% percent of new price. I think you will be better on waiting for GTX600/HD700 that is due in Q4 or early Q1 this year!

Xtreme Member
    Hi mate!

To the pont;

- Sell 1 x 6970 (21187-00-40R) and Buy 2 x Identical 6970 (11187-00-40R) ----> Then I can use same water blocks!
    Would work.

This would be very expensive. 2 WB's + 2 GTX 580 3GB's.. Hmm

- Also very expensive, but coops with your current card.

This is my two cents;

I don't think you will get much for a 10 month old card, really. maybe 50 - 60% percent of new price. I think you will be better on waiting for GTX600/HD700 that is due in Q4 or early Q1 this year!
    You are right, but I'm afraid to wait and then with the release of the 2011 try to jump to new platform without having used the 1155.. you know when you stop then you start to rethink about the whole project haha
    I will try to find some more specific info about the new cards... maybe I'm lucky and they release them before 2012

Xtreme Member
    Youd have a better time selling the wrong blocks than you would the wrong vid cards IMHO.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball Zen View Post
    Youd have a better time selling the wrong blocks than you would the wrong vid cards IMHO.
    The good thing is that I don't have any blocks yet, I just checked before placing the order and just realized about the different blocks so decided to ask you guys before doing anything...
    I might think about waiting for the new cards but the project will be on hold for such a long time...

I will try to find some information about the exact release date and see...

Xtreme Member
    So youre problem is you dont have reference cards? Do you know how to tell if you do?

Xtreme Member
    So youre problem is you dont have reference cards? Do you know how to tell if you do?
    If I use the EK tool, my card is the "HD6970 - 2GB GDDR5" #SKU 21187-00-40R
    And that card uses the "old" EK Blocks... after some time, Sapphire released the new cards with redesigned PCB and #SKU 11187-00-40R and for those EK V2 blocks were released.

Can't find stock of my "old PCB" sapphire cards, all what I see are the new ones :'(

Xtreme Member
    This is a reference card

This is not.

The difference regardless of PCB color, is the AMD above the PCI-E connector. On my 4890's, there are two versions, both reference, but with red or blue PCB's. Drove me crazy trying to find a second one too since they are the OC version.

So, THATS how you know whether or not you have a reference card without some 'tool' telling you +1 if you get the double entendre lol.

Xtreme Member
    This is a reference card

This is not.

The difference regardless of PCB color, is the AMD above the PCI-E connector. On my 4890's, there are two versions, both reference, but with red or blue PCB's. Drove me crazy trying to find a second one too since they are the OC version.

So, THATS how you know whether or not you have a reference card without some 'tool' telling you +1 if you get the double entendre lol.

Xtreme Member
    This is a reference card

This is not.

Then I have a reference card, thanks for the info about the AMD logo on the PCB! +rep +all for you!!!! too bad I can't give you any of that, how do I thank you for a post btw?

That is the problem, I can't find any reference 6970 card :S
    I guess when the 6970 were launched, all the companies followed the original AMD/ATi design and after that they all jumped to custom assemblies...

Xtreme Member
    Um, not sure how to do thanks?

Where are you located? The first link i posted, the guy is selling 3 of them. Or are you saying you cant find a reference water block?

Sapphire of all the ATi partners makes the most reference cards that ive seen. However, once they make a bunch of them, they release one offs like the Toxic versions, and those usually have non ref PCB's.

Xtreme Member
    I'm in Europe, and I'm afraid to order one of those and then pay a lot in customs... I'm much better selling what I have than paying much more for a USA shipment hehe

Xtreme Member
    Ah, gotcha, makes sense

Xtreme Member

- Seasonic X-850 -

Finally the Seasonic X-850 is at home!
    Enjoy the pictures!

Cables / wires come in a very nice bag with Seasonic logo and following the black and gold theme

Usually you get a set of cables with each PSU, but Seasonic kindly sent me spare cables so I can work the custom length wires + sleeving
    Thank you very much Seasonic!

Nice black sleeving, but still can see through, we have to change that soon!

WARNING! Fanless mode enabled under 20% LOAD!

100% Modular PSU... my first one!
    Really want to start this project as soon as possible and sleeve this beauty

Would like to thank once again to Seasonic for the support!

X-850 Review @ Hardware Secrets

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast