Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AMD says "Prove it!"

Xtreme Addict
    a hint... you don't see how it is with the fin.... the power of the image i believe ..

What do you want to say ? AMD don't use vapor chambers or AMD don't know how make vapor chambers when they have use it on some models since the 2900XT ? im not sure i follow you on what this thread is about .
    Last edited by Lanek; 03-26-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by cronicash View Post
    I cannot see a seal/ gap or bolts to hold the two pieces of copper together to attain vapor...?
    (nice grammar)
    No need for petty grammar fights. Not everybody's first language is english, and not all institutions of learning do a worthwhile job of teaching it these days.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    nothing really ? are you sure you have not seen anything who will not let you clock it as you want ? as something who make some white smoke when it happend ..
    Yeah I know about the vmods burning up the card's .

In my mind, ati/amd just cannot compete at all without tex/mip adjustment settings.
    I want 100% of the detail, not 5%...
    I might sound ignorant or something but honestly it's how I feel about it.

Textures are not supposed to be blurry 2 ft from the player.
    Well, they are normally, but I don't like it that way, on my nvidia card's I have a choice if I regedit it or mod the driver inf.
    On ati/amd, I have the settings for it in the registry, but they don't do anything .
    Last time I knew it was still this way, the 9x00 gen, dx9, but that was along time ago and I'de love to be proven wrong on that one.
    It's the main thing keeping me from "looking" at an ati card.
    Yeah that's right, I won't even look at them...
    No offence.

I have no probs recommending a buddy an ati card.
    But it's not for me.

I am Xtreme
    someone needs to make some *** **** better drivers, I don't care whose is bigger, I just want some better drivers.
    2013 Rig: Mythlogic Pollux 1713: i7 4800, 16GB 14900 Corsair, AMD8970, 840 Pro RAID 0 (128gb), 265GB 840 Pro, 1TB HDD, Killer 1202, Win 7 x64
    PREVIOUS Desktop:EVGA E760 3-Way, 2x 5870, Corsair GT 6gb 1600, i7-920 @ 4.35ghz 1.42v, GTZ, EVGA waterblock, 2xthrmchil120.3+mcp655, Silverstone DA1kW, ARC-1220
    Laptop- ASUS G50V-A2@3GHz w/2gb RAM G.Skill
    Car: 01 T/A WS6 http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631954
    ...Ur car is sneezing?!...
    Help Save Lives Join World Community Grid!

Xtreme Member
    One of the reasons 6990 is so good in games is actually the latest drivers: 11.4. Someone mentioned they changed the drivers writing team and it kind of shows already. So it appears amd is at least 2 up on nvidia: better drivers and a better built card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
    Just cause you pour syrup over crap dont make it pancakes

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by halfwaythere View Post
    One of the reasons 6990 is so good in games is actually the latest drivers: 11.4. Someone mentioned they changed the drivers writing team and it kind of shows already. So it appears amd is at least 2 up on nvidia: better drivers and a better built card.
    they have 2 teams working back to back I thought?

And yes, sad to see all this horsepower go to waste with image quality tweaks... on both cards :/

There should be options to disable ALL optimization...

Xtreme Guru
    This thread is quite interesting, as is the post by Dave. Basically, I take this as a toss up between the two in overall performance and we all know that 3DMark11 is far from "industry standard".

I don't think anyone has anything to prove here other than their ability to deliver stable performance to the consumer with a minimum amount of BS.

Xtreme Member
    "industry standard"... More like AMD's standard & Nvidia's standard.
    **RIG**
    -Intel i5 4670K 4.5GHz
    -Noctua NH-D14
    -AsRock Killerx87
    -Gskill 2100 c9
    -AMD Radeon HD7970
    -CM 690II

Xtreme 3D Team
    I cannot see a seal/ gap or bolts to hold the two pieces of copper together to attain vapor...?
    (nice grammar)
    Vapor chamber is essentially a flat heatpipe like I said before.
    If you look at the bottom side of the heatsink you see a little square region sticks out. In there is the vapor chamber, actually that whole copper peice is the base/vapor chamber. The Aluminum fins on top are the rest of the heatsink.

Sapphire uses bolts in their vapor chamber design to secure the fan they usually stick in that area
    Smile

Xtreme Mentor
    (nice grammar)
    Vapor chambers were used on the 5770, 5970, and 6900 range reference designs.

They look like a flat copper heatpipe which is filled with coolant fluid, and when it heats up it vaporises and spreads throughout the chamber. The aluminum fins conduct the heat from the vapor chamber and cool the vapor back down.

It is potentially a more effective design than heatpipe coolers, but the ATI reference cooler fans are still completely terrible, and MSI's custom heatpipe based coolers are still a lot better and cooling the GPU down.

Xtreme Member
    Erskine (arguably not AMD itself) is just asking for an "industry standard" test, no matter how useless it may be since they provided their own (mostly) irrelevant but accurate proof that their card is the fastest while Nvidia just claimed without proof. It's all marketing fluff, in a blog no less.

Xtreme Mentor
    waiting for Nvidia's rebuttal........or should i say "Annoucement" hahahahahahharhrahrahrahrha
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Xtreme X.I.P.
    In the end, I actually side with AMD on this one...
    No1 they launched first and marked the spot
    No2 after NVIDIA launched the 590 AMD said they are faster in xyz

NVIDIA doesn't specify how they ate faster... seems their marketing department is too lazy

Traditionally they would produce a slideshow highlighting where and how they are faster, and would disagree, and fanboys would argue for a few weeks.
    But this time NVIDIA didn't specify anything...

I am Xtreme
    wow... so many upset nv fanbois.. evident by the: 'fix the drivers' posts.. I have a 78GTX with VIVO, that never got x64 VIVO drivers - can I whinge & whine like a lil boi now? - oh let me guess - 'its too old' re: the v.card.. yeah, so? all the more time to release drivers right? what about when it was released? & what about getting the drivers out in a reasonable time frame?

go ahead & be the fanbois u are.. for me & my experience: nv drivers have sucked harder & more frequently than ATi
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Member

Xtreme Cruncher
    Team red is #winning here. Charlie Sheen style, lol.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    wow... so many upset nv fanbois.. evident by the: 'fix the drivers' posts.. I have a 78GTX with VIVO, that never got x64 VIVO drivers - can I whinge & whine like a lil boi now? - oh let me guess - 'its too old' re: the v.card.. yeah, so? all the more time to release drivers right? what about when it was released? & what about getting the drivers out in a reasonable time frame?

go ahead & be the fanbois u are.. for me & my experience: nv drivers have sucked harder & more frequently than ATi

You're right, nvidia don't have x64 wdm vivo drivers.
    They haven't updated the x86 ones in years...

I since switched to my easycap usb dongle, it has a phillips chip as well.
    Because non of the newer card's have vivo (sucks).
    I already modded and combined them.., not sure if there is x64 for it though now that I think about it.

I think the majority of recent drivers for nvidia have been alright.
    Much better releases then the years past where you'de go 100.x ver's before another decent driver foundation... (nvidia)

The 45.xx drivers.
    The 84.26 driver.
    And now pretty much all the latest drivers are all what's decent.
    There were 3 huge gaps of complete crap.

It's all good though, I don't have a complaint about that .

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    There should be options to disable ALL optimization...
    I totally agree.

If both ati and nvidia did that there would be real competition.
    And ati could compete in the pro market as well (firegl is a joke if you ask me).

There's no reason why pc games have to look like console games in terms of quality of there textures.
    I vote for no blurring what so ever, and no need for AF, that should be gotten rid of.

Some of you might think I'm talking bs, seriously though, all AF does is blur the living crap out of your mip maps and reduces performance.
    It just looks better when you have blurred textures to begin with.
    Trilinear is cleaner then AF...

There's a performance penalty when you don't blur the textures with lossy mip mapping methods.
    But that penalty is almost long gone since the days of the geforce 4.
    It still reduces your fps, but the small diff it does make in loss of performance is worth the large increase of quality, it's a whole world of difference.

All a quadro is, is slightly lower mip bais by default, some lossy optimizations disabled, and some speed restrictions removed.
    And that's not even full quality... (not that it matters, you can fix that)
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 03-27-2011 at 11:38 PM.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    Some of you might think I'm talking bs, seriously though, all AF does is blur the living crap out of your mip maps and reduces performance.
    It just looks better when you have blurred textures to begin with.
    Trilinear is cleaner then AF...

There's a performance penalty when you don't blur the textures with lossy mip mapping methods.
    But that penalty is almost long gone since the says of the geforce 4.
    It still reduces your fps, but the small diff it does make in loss of performance is worth the large increase of quality, it's a whole world of difference.

All a quadro is, is slightly lower mip bais by default, some lossy optimizations disabled, and some speed restrictions removed.
    And that's not even full quality... (not that it matters, you can fix that)
    About the trilinear vs anisotropic, yeah, you're talking BS.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Lol, I can prove it to you dude, I promise.
    I have to find my ut2004 demo.
    That is the best example I can think of to show you off the top of my head.

Give me until morning, even if I have to install the full game which I got somewhere.
    It's noticeable in most games, but some more then others.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HelixPC View Post
    Before claiming the fastest graphics card, fix your drivers, the fact that the latest official drivers still have the stuttering bug on the top right corner of the screen in windows 7 64 bit says alot, 4 months after the release of the 6950 and 6970, this bug still exists
    OMG IT SUCKS; the cursor sometimes stutters when i try to play flashing windows buttons

seriously i never noticed this until someone pointed it out on this forum a month ago and i actually forgot about that bug until you noticed it again...

which sane windows user sits there; moving a cursor over these 3 buttons trying to decide whether to maximize; minimize or close a window

i bet that you lost more time of your life posting this massage than failing to hit the close button on a maximized window due to some mouselag only present when you actually hit the display edge and so miniscule that it's hardly noticeable?

i'm sure that amd has better things to do than fixing this bug which has no effect at all on the user experience if 99.9% of all users (this number is 100% correct)
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    If both ati and nvidia did that there would be real competition.
    And ati could compete in the pro market as well (firegl is a joke if you ask me).
    what is the joke here? your statement or the cards?

FireGL stopped in 2007 with R600, after that it was Firepro with R770, it seems like you need to upload some new roadmaps in your brains....
    sure the Quadro has the performance lead, but you will also pay much much more for it... price/performance ratio is the key and not some old retared IT who always buy the brand names....
    check OEM, they offer way more FirePro then they used to and that is the key to volume.
    Last edited by duploxxx; 03-28-2011 at 12:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Quote Originally Posted by duploxxx View Post
    what is the joke here? your statement or the cards?

FireGL stopped in 2007 with R600, after that it was Firepro with R770, it seems like you need to upload some new roadmaps in your brains....
    sure the Quadro has the performance lead, but you will also pay much much more for it... price/performance ratio is the key and not some old retared IT who always buy the brand names....
    check OEM, they offer way more FirePro then they used to and that is the key to volume.
    it actually depends on what u are doing, and in raw OGL power ati still has the better cards its just cuda is in allot of stuff now and NV is better at bulk renders but for a live workstation ati is better most of the time.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

+1

Still dont see the bolt/rivets

vapor
    Its done on a much smaller scale compared to nvid imo...
    If its so great then why is it nvid publicize it more than ati. I fail to see it in their features/ specs on many sites...

I know how it works... nubs fail if they did not see what i was getting at.

Have fun ranting...

Single float compute is much higher on ati, this is what raytracing is mostly about, other bloated ambient, occlusive logarithms (like in octane, unlike arion which is cpu where applicable) may bring this down yet ati still would be better in gpgpu imo considering the single float performance imo...
    Last edited by cronicash; 03-28-2011 at 12:51 AM.
    EVGA sr2 2x x5667 8c/16t total with EVbot (@ 4.3ghz 24/7) | EVbot | 12Gbddr3 2300mhz stock Gskill CL9 |4x gtx480 on h20|4x 128x corsair ssd |6x wd 2tb| 2x Strider 1500watt + 500 watt |2x swiftech XT ultra ,3x quad rads with two loops | mountain mod case||5.1Ghz,best|Laptopell XPS 1730| 4Gb| 2x 9800gtx build log

Xtreme Member
    What's this cursor lag bug? It didn't show in my 4870 and does not show in my 6950... Win7 x64 10.x to 11.4 drivers. Only bugs I've experienced recently is in Disciples 3 which, as far as anyone's concerned, is really buggy whatever system you use.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by insurgent View Post
    What's this cursor lag bug? It didn't show in my 4870 and does not show in my 6950... Win7 x64 10.x to 11.4 drivers. Only bugs I've experienced recently is in Disciples 3 which, as far as anyone's concerned, is really buggy whatever system you use.
    didn't notice that lag at all until someone pointed out how to:

maximize a window
    move your cursor to the top right edge of your scrren (you have to touch the corner with your mouse)
    now move it around on the minize/maximize/close buttons
    there you have your lag

my take on this bug: not noticeable in real life

and i actually think that this is intended to be so as the mouse really sticks to the close button pretty much like autoaim on consoles
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast