Thread: pump sound insulation

pump sound insulation

hi all,

so i bought 2 The EK-DCP 4.0 Pumps and they are not very quiet when running on 12v
    i am goin to have a 5-7-12v switch aswell but to insulate the sound i though of maybe cutting 2 holes for the inlet and outlet pipes in the foam that the pump came in and running the pumps boxed inside.

does this sound like a bad or good idea?
    what are thoughts?

ill post a picture later tonight.

cheers.

Xtreme Guru
    Should be fine but what is the box going to be made out of ? if its all foam then sure otherwise it wouldnt be so quiet..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    Would heat be a problem then if the pumps were almost entirely covered?
    Do you have them decoupled from the case floor now? If not, that would probably help a great deal.

stupid media fires not working for me tonight so ill skip the pictures..

to paint you a picture, it basically comes in a rectangle of foam with its shape cut out and a lid of foam, so im planning on fixing the lid on and cutting in out holes.

no i havnt installed it yet.. its goin to be feeding off a new holden commodore dual core rad, a custom case is future talk. they will just be attached to a temporary mdf rad holder.

well i didnt think heat would be that much of a problem considering its pumping cool water...?

Xtreme Guru
    they do tend to heat up a bit but as long as your case has sufficient air flow you should be absoulately fine, just place foam under the pump and let your case do its thing

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Mentor
    We have seen pumps fail and have shorter life due to heat. No 'proven' issues, but the bottom of the DDC3.2 can get very hot and fail. Not sure about yours. You will have extra heat dump into the water since the pump heat isn't dissipated into the air.

The pump isn't under water, so the coils to the motor are exposed to air as is the housing. It dissipates heat. Your WC loop will have to make up the small diff.

All I can say is give it a try. That pump has been mentioned as noiser than others.

And links to the rad you mention would be nice, no idea what your talking about on the rad up North here. Just nice to see something diff.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

ah yeh that makes sense.. might just run it at a lower voltage to reduce the noise.

thats the radiator

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_1863wt_905

still working on collecting all the parts before i jump into converting the system from air to water, i want to have as little down time as possible.

Xtreme Mentor
    Aha, odd car something or other rad. Thanks.
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station

yeh it cost about the same as buying a descent sized computer rad, but its atleast 6-7 times bigger. so why not?

Xtreme Mentor
    Copper/brass or aluminum rad??
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    Banchetto Tech Station

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I think you could potentially box off/insulate a D5, but I'd be hesitant to do any others particularly if they have a plastic housing. The D5's/MCP655/PMP450s have a metal impeller casing that really makes it one of the more "Watercooled" pumps.

is a cooper/brass rad so i made sure to get only copper blocks. gonna use car coolant haven't decided on what though. i want blue and cant seem to find any well priced pc concentrates around where i live. I estimated about 3.5L to be safe.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nipps View Post
    is a cooper/brass rad so i made sure to get only copper blocks. gonna use car coolant haven't decided on what though. i want blue and cant seem to find any well priced pc concentrates around where i live. I estimated about 3.5L to be safe.
    distilled water + blue dye

I'm not sure if you'd want to do that as the heat has to go somewhere. Boxing it off will only allow the heat to leave through the water. I know the casing isn't the best in transferring heat, but there still is some heat transfer. Make sure you have your computer setup to shutdown if the pump dies or turns off. I saw someone's aftermath of a pump failure and it wasn't pretty. Basically had melted the o-rings, causing water to leak all over.