Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silverstone CW02 mods + best filter medium + DIY filtration box

Xtreme Enthusiast

Silverstone CW02 mods + air filtration box + best filter medium

**UPDATE** 05/05/11
    Following some extra tips/advice garnered from here, I've decided to do most of the case modz myself.
    I'll ensure I update this thread (along with the OCAU one) once progress is underway...
    The primary focus remains modding the case, selecting filtration medium, & building a wooden filtration box.
    LT I'll design/build a fancier filtration box, but I've opted for a simpler route for now, much more detail soon.

This is what I've garnered so far as the options for PC air filtration:
    *air cleaning/purifying filters
    *air conditioner filters
    *dryer sheets (fabric softener sheets)
    Much less resistance, but also much poorer filtration:
    *DEMCifllex
    *pantyhose (nylon stockings)

This is a very good read, some quite clued-up users there!
    Alas it seems skinnee hasn't done any detailed comparisons (that I see) between filtration mediums
    Is anyone aware of any detailed/methodical comparisons?
    My case is a black Silverstone CW02, it's still approx. 3weeks away from arriving.

I'll be modding the 2x 92mm intakes on it's base to 120mm...
    And cutting an extra 120mm exhaust on the rear of the case lid, in line with the PCI/e slots.
    I'll also be fashioning a mounting bracket for my H20-220 edge (AIO rad/res/pump from swifttech)
    This mechanism will be bolted to the back right corner of the case lid, near the water tube holes.
    The H20-220 Edge will have 4x GT AP-15* in P+P (possibly w/shrouds, YTD)

For the 2x intakes I was going to use 2x AP-14 (1450RPM)...
    I was going to use 1x AP-15 for the exhaust on the lid (can undervolt), & 1x AP-14 for the other.
    Or to be sure of +ve pressure, maybe I should use 2x AP-15 for the intakes, & 2x AP-14 for the exhaust?
    Especially considering I'd be using filtration material on only the intakes.

One needn't dramatically reduce fan airflow with a high resistance (superior) filter medium.
    One can get around the problem of resistance by greatly increasing the filter medium's surface area.
    You do this & a standard (quiet) case fan's capacity to move air is no longer dramatically limited.

Subsequently I'm contemplating designing & building a filtration box to sit under my CW02.
    I've been inspired by that google groups thread I read above, and this guy's handy work.
    However I'd like to do something a bit less "ghetto-ish"... no offense dasa
    It'd be all aluminum, but it needn't be brushed/sandblasted & then anodised, like the black/silver cw02.

The idea so far is that it'd be designed to sit under, & look like it's part of, my cw02.
    It will be approximately 12cm in height, plus the same depth & width as the cw02.
    The sides, back, & base of this filtration box will be non-existent, filter medium will be seated there.
    It will prolly have an aluminum facade on the front, just so it looks more like a part of the cw02.
    But I will design it such that this facade is removable, and more filtration medium addable.

Extending from it's top will be 2x Alu shrouds** that align perfectly with the CW02's intake vents.
    An alternative concept I have in mind...
    Is a funnel that encompasses the 2x vents, & then narrows to 1x 140mm intake at the filter box's centre.
    This avoids having 2x intake vents right near the left & right sides of the filtration box, not optimal IMO.

Apart from dasa (thanks for the inspiration), has anyone heard of others doing something like this?
    Perhaps there are pre-fabbed solutions out there?
    If not, any thoughts on design approach & the best performing filter mediums are greatly appreciated!
    Thoughts on design/build approach in particular, as I've no experience in this area & no suitable tools.
    So I may have to come-up with a rough design, and then get someone else to fab. it.

Thank-you!
    *This range of fans are universally lauded nowadays for having excellent noise to cfm ratio.
    Whilst maintaining decent static pressure...
    **Roughly the same height as the CW02's feet, or feet height + rack-shelf thickness.
    Last edited by jalyst; 05-08-2011 at 09:31 AM.

sub'd to thread
    Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz(200x21) || Foxconn Flaming Blade || Corsair 6GB XMS3 DDR3-1604 || EVGA 768MB GTX460 || WD 1TB Black || Antec EA650 || Antec P180B

Heatkiller 3.0 LC || Black Ice GTX480 || Eight D12SM-12 Yate Loons || MCP-35x || MicroRes v2.0 || Pantyhose

Heatware || www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=56515

Xtreme Enthusiast
    he's subscribed to the discussion that is about to ensue
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Member
    denser filters will catch finer dust but the denser you go the more restrictive it gets unless you increase the surface area

kinda like i did with this....

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index...filter,AND,box

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Holy crap so that box your case is sitting on, is designed to attract all particulates to it, rather than the case on top?
    Wonder how effective that approach really is...
    all air is sucked up threw the 4x120 rad into the bottom of the case which creats positve presure in the case so no dust can get in anywhere else (when the panels are on)

the case sits over a hole in that box and the box increases surface area to greatly reduce restriction vs a small filter hard agains the fan
    after a bit of use it gets a good coating of dust on the outside which can be vacuumed off
    the material i used isnt perfect though and it dose let a bit of dust threw
    Last edited by dasa; 03-19-2011 at 10:52 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Here's a little more reading for you.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=209801
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fairly insightful thanks, still think the most profound reading was in that thread I linked to.
    And dasa's thread was inspirational, got all sorts of images in my head as to what I can do now

Xtreme Guru
    Women stockings are good filter material because of two reasons. 1) they are cheap, 2) they can be stretched at varying degree by doing what you can get different compromise/level of filtration vs airflow resistance. Only thing that i might not like about them - depending on filter frame you make or way you attach them (eg. by scotch tape) result might look geto-ish. As for few other filtering material airflow resistance, probably already mentioned thread from stickies may help (BTW, am i the only one that don't see images in it anymore?).
    Last edited by Church; 03-20-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Xtreme Legend
    Just offering a link: http://www.camfilfarr.com/Products/S...panel-filters/

Not sure how restrictive some of these are but the pleated systems offer large area

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    pantyhose ftw

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ballzD33P View Post
    pantyhose ftw
    What are you using to secure that?

Xtreme Member
    The real question to ask is how often do you want to clean your system? Because air filters will delay dust accumulation on your rads, fans and inside the case but they will certainly not prevent it.

And just for the record, "positive pressure" doesn't prevent dust from entering the case!

So basically with filters you will have to clean up less often, maybe once instead of twice a year without filters. However you'll get less performance from your radiators or you'll need to rev up your fans to compensate for the loss of airflow every day of the year.

As far as I am concerned I'd rather clean my rig a little more often and enjoy the better performance and silence everyday

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
    As far as I am concerned I'd rather clean my rig a little more often and enjoy the better performance and silence everyday
    Agreed.

As soon as you put a filter on your fans you lose performance. And you lose more with every bit of dust it gathers. For some it might be worth it to have a clean(er) rig but I'll take the performance and having to blow it out a bit more often.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Chasing After Diety
    dude some advice.

if you can remove the mesh to clean it.. its not worth you putting it in the first place to catch dust.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    dude some advice.

if you can remove the mesh to clean it.. its not worth you putting it in the first place to catch dust.
    Don't you mean 'can't'? I can imagine having a dust filter that's almost impossible to remove is more annoying than the dust itself.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Chasing After Diety
    Don't you mean 'can't'? I can imagine having a dust filter that's almost impossible to remove is more annoying than the dust itself.
    meh i was thinking WL would catch me and not you.

yes your right.. cant.

Xtreme Member
    The real question to ask is how often do you want to clean your system? Because air filters will delay dust accumulation on your rads, fans and inside the case but they will certainly not prevent it.

And just for the record, "positive pressure" doesn't prevent dust from entering the case!

So basically with filters you will have to clean up less often, maybe once instead of twice a year without filters. However you'll get less performance from your radiators or you'll need to rev up your fans to compensate for the loss of airflow every day of the year.

This is true. However, I don't think there is a universal "right answer" here, because I think the decision on whether or not to use fan filters comes down to a personal balancing test of noise vs. performance vs dust. Everybody has to find their own comfort level with respect to balancing these three variables. Personally, I hate dust, but I hate noise even more, and I am willing to give up some cooling performance to cut down on both. So in my current rig, I tried to find filters on the intake fans that cut down on the dust, but won't necessarily eliminate it either, since that would restrict airflow (and thus cooling) too much. So that leaves me with a computer case that now collects a very small amount of very fine particles of dust. After 5-6 months I have to clean out this very fine dust, but certainly not as often as I would with no filters at all (actually I could wait a year or more between cleanings, if I wasn't a neat freak, i guess). I am losing some small amount of cooling performance, but not as much as I would have with ultra-dense HEPA-style air purifying filters, which would presumably block much more dust. The only bad part is cleaning the fan blades as they get coated with ultra-fine dust, especially on the windward edge of the blades. I would like to get rid of that phenomenon, but haven't found a suitable solution yet. Well anyway, what I am trying to say is that there is probably no way to eliminate 100% of the dust in your case, as it will always find a way in. The best you can do is to limit the amount of dust that comes into your computer case, and how much of a dust barrier you use depends on how much performance you are willing to give up, or fan noise you are willing to accept.

Chasing After Diety
    When getting a filter... questions one needs to asks:

1. Exactly how fine is the dust particulate that ur trying to filter.
    I can say within 90% confirmation, that the mesh filters dont really work well in our system.
    It catches large dust, yes.. but the small ones go right though, and end up getting logged inside your fins, making things more difficult to get out.

2. How easy can you remove them?
    As i said, if there not pullable on the fly... its going to be a pain in the butt for maintaince.
    Your adding filters to reduce maintaince.. not give yourself a headache trying to get them on and off.

3. That being said, i still love open cell foam, the kind u find on AC filters.
    They catch small and big dust, and the ones which have them are fully removable and easily upgradable.

So what would i do??

U know those magnetic mesh filters which are popular now?

I was going to go out to a hardware store, get some AC filter... and then cut that up, then put the magnetic mesh type filter OVER the open cell foam.

I think that would be the best solution which i see as a filter.

Xtreme Member
    I'd be interested to see if someone could make an ionizer that fed into the res. Should be as easy as poarizing plates in front of the res right?

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by m0r7if3r View Post
    I'd be interested to see if someone could make an ionizer that fed into the res. Should be as easy as poarizing plates in front of the res right?
    no... trust me.. we talked about this in depth..

it came down to, you would get ozone poisoning, b4 u could get the ionizer to be effective.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    with all this talk of air filters I started wondering if some of the varying types of oval and rectangular filters for weber carburetors might fit the bill. (Just not K&N ones)

dammit, now I want to make a computer case to match my 22r.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Member

positive pressure can stop dust entering if the inlet is filtered well enough but the kind of filter that could stop all the dust like whats on a engine would be far to restrictive
    by comparison negative presure will suck a lot more dust in threw every little gap in the case

but i agree with you about small filters hard agaisnt fans i would rather not have them and just use the air compressor to clean the case more often

Xtreme Addict
    i found out that, any mesh filter with a dash of the silicon lubricant spray is good for trapping dust.

maybe you guys should give it a try. don't use oil however, it's messy

Xtreme Member
    There is something else that is interesting is this discussion about filters. We spend a lot of time researching the best fans, we spend a lot of money buying them, why would we want to completely alter their performance and the noise they produce with a filter?

Dust is evil for sure, but some filters are restrictive and since most of them are already behind mesh or holes (which by the way filter dust as well) they at best half the airflow of the carefully selected fan. And by creating additional impedance, they add more turbulence and thus noise...

Knowing that then one can decide whether cleaning up more often is worse that lower performance.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Holy crap this thread's exploded, now I remember why I love this forum!
    My net connection's been out for the past 24hrs or so, so many things to catch-up on, hope to get back to this soon
    There's a few points made, mainly by Hannibal Lector (nice handle by the way), that I definitely disagree with
    This is only my opinion, but please convince me otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast