Thread: Issues when transfering large amount of Data through network Bloodrage

Unhappy Issues when transfering large amount of Data through network Bloodrage

So I have 2 hard drives connected to the motherboard, both are 7200 RPM SATA drives. Whenever I try to copy a large amount of data to or from the second drive and transfer it to or from another computer in the network, my experience in Windows 7 degrades completely until the transfer is finished.

Mouse movements become extremely slow and clicking sometimes require 3 or 4 clicks until the computer registers anything. Opening or closing applications become extremely slow, as if the transfer is bringing my computer to its knees. Just imagine using a netbook and running too many applications, that is more or less what seems to be happening here.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or fixed this problem before? It drives me crazy! Any help is appreciated!

Xtreme Addict
    Never happened to me.. and I backuped whole SSD on my main data drive (40GB). Do you use AHCI or classic IDE?
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Technician
    Run resource monitor from the task manager performance page while youre doing a transfer to see where all your resources are going. Could be a memory leak, could be cpu usage. Once you've identified which process/service/thread is the issue we will have a better shot at a fix .

Quote Originally Posted by Mescalamba View Post
    Never happened to me.. and I backuped whole SSD on my main data drive (40GB). Do you use AHCI or classic IDE?
    I use IDE. I tried switching to AHCI using this http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676, then enabling it on the motherboard but while booting it is as if it cannot find the hard drive, it just shows an _ that keeps blinking and blinking and I have to shut it down, and switch it back to IDE.

Quote Originally Posted by PiLsY View Post
    Run resource monitor from the task manager performance page while youre doing a transfer to see where all your resources are going. Could be a memory leak, could be cpu usage. Once you've identified which process/service/thread is the issue we will have a better shot at a fix .
    Just tested, CPU usage during the transfer is about 1-5% and memory usage stays at around 1.5GB which is what is was before the transfer.

According to the resource manager the System processes is the one that becomes really active in disk usage with over 20 MB/s of read.

The files are being transfered from the Gigabit port on my bloodrage through a gigabit router, to a wireless g device.

Technician
    The system process is the actual file tranfser itself so youre seeing your network transfer speed there. All of that looks normal - quite puzzling!

I suppose id start with updating drivers across the whole system. Start with the intel chipset drivers, next your lan, sound and graphics drivers. Use guru3d.com for the intel, realtek and graphics drivers. I have no issues with the windows 7 broadcom driver (not sure if its from windows update or just the generic one), but there could be something else in your pc not liking it so I'd grab the most recent one you can find from the Broadcom site just incase.

As a side thought you do have SMART enabled in bios dont you? Wonder if a hard drive could be failing maybe?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riveracarlosm View Post
    So I have 2 hard drives connected to the motherboard, both are 7200 RPM SATA drives. Whenever I try to copy a large amount of data to or from the second drive and transfer it to or from another computer in the network, my experience in Windows 7 degrades completely until the transfer is finished.
    How much RAM do you have and how big your paging file is, when running Windows 7?
    Last edited by therager; 02-13-2011 at 05:25 AM.
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4|AMD FX-8320 w/water|OCZ3RPR1866C9LV4GK|XFX HD5850|WD6000HLHX|PC P&C Silencer 910W
    Foxconn BloodRAGE X58|Intel Core i7 920|G.Skill F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD|XFX HD5770|WD6000HLHX|PC P&C Silencer 750W

Quote Originally Posted by therager View Post
    How much RAM do you have and how big your paging file is, when running Windows 7?
    6GB of Physical and 6GB of Virtual. I am going to try moving the pagefile back to the C drive and try the transfer again as the pagefile is on the drive I am doing the big transfer from.

Xtreme Member
    Set your page file manually to 2048MB (or smaller) min/max size. This should fix the problem .
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4|AMD FX-8320 w/water|OCZ3RPR1866C9LV4GK|XFX HD5850|WD6000HLHX|PC P&C Silencer 910W
    Foxconn BloodRAGE X58|Intel Core i7 920|G.Skill F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD|XFX HD5770|WD6000HLHX|PC P&C Silencer 750W

Quote Originally Posted by therager View Post
    Set your page file manually to 2048MB (or smaller) min/max size. This should fix the problem .
    I tired 2048 MB on the original drive it was on, then moved it to the C drive again with 2048 MB and it was still the same speed.

Do you think getting it working with AHCI would solve the problem? Thanks for all the help!

Xtreme Addict
    My setup works without page file. And with AHCI. No issues, ever..
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Mescalamba View Post
    My setup works without page file. And with AHCI. No issues, ever..
    So it looks like the problem has been remedied. After selecting RAID instead of AHCI I was able to boot into windows and transfers from/to the local network now work as they should. Thanks to everyone who took the time to try and help me out.