Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Hey XS we got a Majestic 12 team !

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I'll add to the grief.
    I usually runMJ12 on mytwo Harpertown machines and Sammy.
    One Harper sold, the other came down to night tobe cleaned and to get ready to sell soI'm at one machine pulling 15mbit vs 3 pulling 26-29mbit until I rearrange things here.
    Oh so this is how we managed to afford the retail westmeres What kind of broadband package do you have. I'm really upset about my capped 200GB a month

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll add to the grief.
    I usually runMJ12 on mytwo Harpertown machines and Sammy.
    One Harper sold, the other came down to night tobe cleaned and to get ready to sell soI'm at one machine pulling 15mbit vs 3 pulling 26-29mbit until I rearrange things here.
    Is the remaining machine's cpu completely consumed by WCG? You could try some VM's If not no worries, moddolicious and OldChap are really giving me(and a few teams) some competition

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by =[PULSAR]= View Post
    Oh so this is how we managed to afford the retail westmeres What kind of broadband package do you have. I'm really upset about my capped 200GB a month
    Nope, a spur of the moment thing.. Time to sell them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFire View Post
    Is the remaining machine's cpu completely consumed by WCG? You could try some VM's If not no worries, moddolicious and OldChap are really giving me(and a few teams) some competition
    Remaining machine is a group of parts as I needed the case to fit my new beastie in..
    You'll see..24 cores, real cores.. and green..
    Pics tomorrow if I can get it done tonight..
    4 cases before I found one it would fit into and line up on most of the standoffs..
    This board with 2-12 core AMD Magny cours cpu's in a Lian Li G70 case.
    Ok,back to work, talk later..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131643
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You'll see..24 cores, real cores.. and green..
    Pics tomorrow if I can get it done tonight..
    4 cases before I found one it would fit into and line up on most of the standoffs..
    This board with 2-12 core AMD Magny cours cpu's in a Lian Li G70 case.
    Ok,back to work, talk later..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131643

XS_THE_MACHINE
    My contribution is going to be sporadic until I get home for the summer (June 28th). Once I get home, I'll set up a Pfsense router, figure out wireless on it, and then have a pretty good contribution daily.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Legend
    Hey Moddo, I don't know what you can achieve when you get home but just now it ain't too shabby ...trying to make sure I don't catch you huh?

I need to be building a router too...I can run two rigs ok but when I add a third I get connectivity problems with uploads even if I run @ 100/30...now this could be my poor upload speed but I prefer to think I can get more using pfsense

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Routers always struggle with the uploads, I can assure you of that. Also, did you max out the archiving settings? Word Size = 128 bytes and Dictionary size= 16mb? I find that helps. Having a stronger router also helps a lot. I dont remember how much I used to do daily, but if I remember correctly, I used to be close or in the Top10 daily. My output now is decent, but it is kind of sporadic at best.

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Legend
    Picked up a few nic's for the router project
    2* Intel 8390MT 1000M Gigabit Desktop PCI Network Card
    1* HP NC380T PCI Express Dual Port Multifunction Gigabit
    1* HP NC360T PCIe DUAL PORT GIGABIT NETWORK CARD

The hp parts are Intel based so there should be no problem there but I maybe should have asked about mixing cards (or maybe more to the point multiple drivers). These give me 6 ports ....so wan + 5 one of which I want to put my wireless n on if possible

I feel a number of questions coming on when I build this one

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Oldchap, its awesome that you decided to make your own router. Did you decide on a distro yet? I can help you with IPCOP and possibly smoothwall, as I have a little experience with both. Pfsense, I will throw in my but I may not be as much help.

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Legend
    No choice really, the one I have will just about run 2 rigs....add a third and "connectivity problems" on the uploads.....Now, this might be a function of the 50/1 but I can rule that out with this.

I've seen people talking about pfsense as best so I will give it a try.....just that on a rig because I have never run a VM and the total spend will likely be £150 so cheaper than a business router I think.

I have a Dell psu spare ...just have to be sure it is not different pinouts on any of the plugs. Haven't found the right MB yet though....might have to trial it on the max formula

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Hmmm, I never ran it through a vm, so that is up to you. Before I had a computer dedicated to it. If Pfsense is anything like IPCOP and smoothwall ,you will have (in the beginning) two interfaces: red and green. Red is the bad, unprotected Internet. You will plug a cable in directly from your router to the red interface. The green interface is the good, protected Internet. You will run a cable from here to your switch, and then on to your various computers. Now, the Wireless interface (blue) is the one that I wanted to read up more on. I think with pfsense, there are two things you could do. 1: Plug in another NIC card and run the cable from there to a wireless router or 2: Use a wireless card that directly plugs into the PCI slot. I always thought the second option would be much cooler, but I never had a chance to mess with it. Make a new thread with pictures when you are setting it up and I'm sure everyone will help as much as possible. Good luck

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Legend
    Well, that's it for me I think ....As of today I have 1 machine set up with 3vm's on which I will run this as the VM seems faster than the host???? Whatever crawl rate I get, I will stick with that and hopefully it will run error free. I have the PFSense router which apart from slowly using more and more ram (was at 3% a month ago now it is 17%) has been problem free.

Rumor has it that any time from late this year and rolling out over the next 12 months my ISP is going to increase the upload speed to around 10% of download. My guess is that I could possibly double my output when that happens.

So for now the WCG machines (which also fold GPU in winter) can have their cycles back and hopefully there will be no more babysitting on a daily basis so that I can get on and build something new (just something to keep my mind on for the next few weeks ...you all know why)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post

Rumor has it that any time from late this year and rolling out over the next 12 months my ISP is going to increase the upload speed to around 10% of download. My guess is that I could possibly double my output when that happens.

Do you have any buckets-to-be-uploaded backlogs now? If not then it's a sign the uploading side of things is working well. A download speed increase would be more awesome

sidenote - is Alex's site offline? or is it just me? stats don't load for me

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Do you have any buckets-to-be-uploaded backlogs now? If not then it's a sign the uploading side of things is working well. A download speed increase would be more awesome

sidenote - is Alex's site offline? or is it just me? stats don't load for me
    Stats don't seem to be updating but app is working fine for me..
    Also wanted to say congrats on the 4 billion!

Oldchap:
    Do what your comfortable with.
    Rather have you here long term that way than trying to max out your line and getting frustrated.
    Slow and steady sort of thinking if you get my drift..
    Last edited by Movieman; 09-03-2010 at 10:16 PM.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Legend
    MM Sorry if you read it differently but that was what I was saying.....Whatever output this gives me now is, by my way of thinking, the max I can get with this connection, so, that is it....the best I can do.

Over the course of the next week I will look at the difference between running 2vm's and 3vm's ...the past 48 hours I have run 3vm's + 1 in the native os. but the behavior so far is similar to running separate machines albeit with a lower output as the buckets to be uploaded backlog for each has dropped from 300-400 to 100ish

Deadly, The reason I think a better upload will help is shown in the PFSense traffic graph...

I have 50/1.75 as settings fixed in my modem...the 16 hours average shows I am using arount 50% of the download but the upload is balls to the wall.

When, in the past, I turned off downloads to shift the backlog then I can return results at well over 100 buckets an hour.

When I turn off uploads My download average moves to 30+ meg

Conclusion: due to the requests for connection when crawling the uploading of buckets is starved of bandwidth and to be running at full speed one needs a connection that has an upload speed of at least 8% better yet 10% of download
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I almost let loose a brick in my pants when I saw this in my Verizon email this morning

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-...-internet.html

Also read somewhere: "Verizon tells us they're considering updating the 50 Mbps tier to 60/35 Mbps, but that they haven't yet made the official move."

Christmas has come early this year!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thank you for contacting the Verizon eCenter. I have received your
    email dated 12/1/10 regarding if we offer a speed of 150/35 Mbps for
    FiOS service. My name is Jennifer, and I will be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your interest in a faster FiOS internet speed.

I apologize. We do not currently offer a speed of 150/35Mbps. The
    fastest speed that we currently offer is 50/20 Mbps.
    Bah. Apparently if the central office in your area isn't fitted with GPON tech and on the older BPON distribution then the highest speeds aren't available(just yet )

Xtreme Cruncher
    Are you really aiming to have 150/35Mbps ?? holy piece of pipe. you will need some really good networking gear to be able to max that, right?
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Legend
    He's already looking out for deals on fiber networking

Look out Dave your top spot is "on the line"

Xtreme Cruncher
    He's already looking out for deals on fiber networking

yeah, he is cheating big time :P

Dave with his 30 mbit line ( which is becoming small thing nowadays) and his mkv downloadings ( IE avatar) has no chance to remain in the top 10 for much longer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duh View Post
    Are you really aiming to have 150/35Mbps ?? holy piece of pipe. you will need some really good networking gear to be able to max that, right?
    Surprisingly not All you need is a good *nix or BSD based firewall and a pc to load it on and it will handle the highest network loads as good as a $10,000 Cisco On my current line at max throttle I see 90,000 NAT table states which pfSense handles fine(a consumer router would DIE ). I'm gonna call Verizon and talk to a live person because their online vs their phone operators say different things about sale promotions/packages sometime

He's already looking out for deals on fiber
    networking

I'm still years away from Dave, nothing to worry about(yet )

Xtreme Legend
    the best I see just now is around 30,000

I'm looking forward to my upgrade whenever it comes ...the upload I have kills me

I have a job for you deadly, Idiots guide to multiple instances of MJ under linux on the new 1.7.0.

Once you have that cracked I would love to see just how much one quad could do

Xtreme Cruncher
    Surprisingly not All you need is a good *nix or BSD based firewall and a pc to load it on and it will handle the highest network loads as good as a $10,000 Cisco On my current line at max throttle I see 90,000 NAT table states which pfSense handles fine(a consumer router would DIE ). I'm gonna call Verizon and talk to a live person because their online vs their phone operators say different things about sale promotions/packages sometime

I'm still years away from Dave, nothing to worry about(yet )

In my case what dies is the f.. modem if many packets go through it ( both cablemodem and adsl). have you replaced the modem?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the best I see just now is around 30,000

I'm looking forward to my upgrade whenever it comes ...the upload I have kills me

I have a job for you deadly, Idiots guide to multiple instances of MJ under linux on the new 1.7.0.

Once you have that cracked I would love to see just how much one quad could do
    I'm very curious as well. That's one of my top goals for 2011! I wish I could donate some of my upload to you, pfSense shows about 4-6 Mbps total upload being used while running MJ12 full throttle and the rest of my 20Mb goes unused.

Quote Originally Posted by Duh View Post
    In my case what dies is the f.. modem if many packets go through it ( both cablemodem and adsl). have you replaced the modem?
    Do you have cable or dsl? I know those 2 require a modem and a router(if you plan on adding a second pc). Fiber optics only requires a device called an ONT which translates the light signal from optical to digital and then you can plug the CAT5 cord from it directly into your pc or into a router(or even a switch I believe).

Every router I received from Verizon could not handle MJ12 but a pc-based pfSense firewall(based on OpenBSD) is like comparing a Ferrari to a Lada, blows it out of the water Most routers/modems are incredibly underpowered(weak cpu/low memory) but then again they weren't made in mind for MJ12
    Last edited by DeadlyFire; 12-02-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm very curious as well. That's one of my top goals for 2011! I wish I could donate some of my upload to you, pfSense shows about 4-6 Mbps total upload being used while running MJ12 full throttle and the rest of my 20Mb goes unused.

Do you have cable or dsl? I know those 2 require a modem and a router(if you plan on adding a second pc). Fiber optics only requires a device called an ONT which translates the light signal from optical to digital and then you can plug the CAT5 cord from it directly into your pc or into a router(or even a switch I believe).

Every router I received from Verizon could not handle MJ12 but a pc-based pfSense firewall(based on OpenBSD) is like comparing a Ferrari to a Lada, blows it out of the water Most routers/modems are incredibly underpowered(weak cpu/low memory) but then again they weren't made in mind for MJ12
    your fiber makes me hate yoy . You do not even need modems , thats amazing. I have both dsl and cable. Both have modems and get stuck very often.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast