Thread: Resseting pc = bad ?

Resseting pc = bad ?

Hello all,

I've had a problem with my dual channel memory, when i updated my bios and cleared the cmos, i constantly got a Checksum error and it said that i had to insert floppy with bios file on it but it kept asking that so i resetted the computer like 40 times beforel i found the solution and took a mem stick out.

So my question is can resetting allot cause damage to hardware ?

I ran a scandisk and there were no errors.

Thanks in advance!

Banned
    Hi,
    Resetting the Bios, or the computer(by using the reset button on case) will not damage the computer's hardware.

Usually when you update the bios, You must reset or clear the configuration data to the factory defaults.

If You keep getting a checksum error, try replacing the Cmos battery. Hopefully this will fix it

If that fails, the next step would be to downgrade the bios to whatever bios you had before this errors started happening and see if it happens again. If not, it's probably a flaw in the new bios an would contact the manufacturers of the motherboard

Scandisk won't detect errors in hardware, it will detect errors and corrupted files in the hardrive and operating system.
    Last edited by John Cena; 05-25-2004 at 11:02 AM.