Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [Computex 2010]AMD to show Fusion tomorrow

Xtreme Cruncher

[Computex 2010]AMD to show Fusion tomorrow

Link
    A YEAR AGO, AMD showed off the first Evergreen part, it was a Juniper wafer and a card behind the scenes. Tomorrow morning, Taiwan time, a few birds told us that ATI will be showing off Fusion silicon.

Word is that AMD will be showing off one of their Fusion chips, which narrows it down to Llano or Ontario. Both are potentially coming this year, so either one is possible. Ontario combines Evergreen shaders and a Bobcat core, Llano adds Evergreen to a 32nm Shanghai derivative. Exactly what AMD will demo tomorrow is anyone's guess, but at least you know what is officially going to be shown at the keynote tomorrow. Llano and Ontario are going to be game changers, so keep a close eye on what is said tomorrow.S|A
    update:
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
    I think this is a game changer in the mobile arena, were amd has a piss poor market share compared to desktop. Also, it is going to be a while until intel can beat this.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/amd-computex-2010

That is the channel were it is going to be transmited today at 10PM ET, 10AM of june 2 in taipei, maybe OP can update his post with this info
    EDIT no2:

The demoed chip was 40nm Bobcat(Ontario),with ~80SPs and very low power x86 CPU cores. Mainstream desktop/mobile will be Llano,a 2-3Ghz QuadCore/Dual core 32nm SOI (reworked)Shanghai derivative,with ~480SP,25-125W.

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=8867

Ryan Shrout from PCPer said in the article that he knows for sure the demo was done on Ontario silicon(and confirmed indirectly by what Bergman said about targeted netbook segment).
    "Specifics were light, but I do know that the APU being shown was not the desktop variant built on 32nm technology but rather was the 40nm Ontario core built at TSMC and aimed at the Atom markets. AMD obviously feels they have a strong advantage in this market with the APU as they are putting focus on it rather than the Llano-based notebook and desktop parts that were originally billed to be the first Fusion parts available. If you were reading this hoping to get a hint of the clock speeds, die sizes or shader counts for Ontario you and I are both disappointed - AMD continues to hold that very close to the chest."
    Last edited by informal; 06-02-2010 at 03:42 AM.

Something to look forward to I suppose. I dont see AMD being able to challenge Intel at the top end for quite some time (though I am optimistic Bulldozer will at least allow them to catch up somewhat), but they can definitely bring some hurt with some mid-range, well priced Fusion-based platforms that OEM's will gobble up.

whau!
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Xtreme Addict
    Llano a game changer?

Xtreme Guru
    Fusion is very interesting for the lower-end market and that's it for the time being. Still it is an exciting product to say the least.

This will compete with Intel's IGP offerings but probably smash Intel's IGP performance in the face

"Game Changer"? Someone's been smoking the good stuff I see... it would have been a game changer two years ago. Now? Not so much.

Banned
    Well considering that 90% of the populace who do own/buy computers, usually buy medium to low-end systems, I can easily see this being a massive "game changer"... as Intel has nothing to compete, correct?

Many people here tend to forget XtremeSystems represent less than 1% of the people who buys computers. Only a few forums have the level of "characters" we have here...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoulz View Post
    Well considering that 90% of the populace who do own/buy computers, usually buy medium to low-end systems, I can easily see this being a massive "game changer"... as Intel has nothing to compete, correct?

Many people here tend to forget XtremeSystems represent less than 1% of the people who buys computers. Only a few forums have the level of "characters" we have here...
    Core i3 kinda competes. The CPU portion of Llano likely won't perform as well as Intel cores so the GPU will be the real winner here. We all know that AMD GPUs > Intel GPUs so I'm not worried for Llano. Also AMD is supposed to have pulled out all the stops for low power consumption so this platform may be the new killer app for laptops.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

I am Xtreme
    i believe a nettop that beats a PS3 in graphics, and can cost <500$ would be called a game changer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FlanK3r View Post
    whau!
    Uhm, your sig is ten times bigger than your message... Don't you think it would be a good idea to shorten it a bit?
    Or at least don't use bold letters in your PC specs...

Xtreme Cruncher

dont underestimate the market for enthusiast hardware. in terms of revenue it is about 3.8% of semiconductor industry and 46% of dollars spent on gaming hardware.
    http://www.guru3d.com/news/enthusias...illion-market/

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    dont underestimate the market for enthusiast hardware. in terms of revenue it is about 3.8% of semiconductor industry and 46% of dollars spent on gaming hardware.
    Which basically means, gamers dont game on igps and know what to buy...

Anyway, bring on the demonstration i want some numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Which basically means, gamers dont game on igps and know what to buy...

Anyway, bring on the demonstration i want some numbers.
    Im sure you wont see any - as mentioned its a presentation not benchmarking session.

Xtreme Mentor
    Cool ! A great step for AMD

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i believe a nettop that beats a PS3 in graphics, and can cost <500$ would be called a game changer.
    A Nettop yes. Netbook? No.

I'm personally anxious to see power consumption and TDP figures.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So can we all agree that it has the *potential* to be a game changer, depending on pricing, performance, and TDP? Get something like this into small enough of a form factor this thing could give PC gaming the kick in the pants it needs.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
    So can we all agree that it has the *potential* to be a game changer, depending on pricing, performance, and TDP? Get something like this into small enough of a form factor this thing could give PC gaming the kick in the pants it needs.
    I think it will help AMD be more competitive with Intel. To be a game changer they need a better CPU core in their fusion product.

As for gaming, the hardware isn't the problem and hasn't been for a long time. The problem is the game purchasing habits of gamers.

Xtreme Member
    I think this is a game changer in the mobile arena, were amd has a piss poor market share compared to desktop. Also, it is going to be a while until intel can beat this.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/amd-computex-2010

That is the channel were it is going to be transmited today at 10PM ET, 10AM of june 2 in taipei, maybe OP can update his post with this info

i have been study amd, ever since i learned that they exist! they seem to be good company. i never knew amd and ati were one! i will watch and learn so i can better understand. thank you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    Thank you for that link. Exactly what I've been preaching for a while. We matter more to the market than people wanna give us credit for. 9.5 billion is not chump change. Especially since it mostly consist of high margin parts.

Banned
    Leslie Sobon, vice president of product and marketing, told Dow Jones Newswires on the sidelines of the Computex show that computers using Fusion chips are on track to hit store shelves in the first half of next year. She said the chips will contribute "significantly" to AMD's revenue next year, without providing further details. Sobon said the chips will provide higher performance such as better video quality and faster response time while reducing power consumption and cost. She said all of AMD's existing PC customers such as Hewlett-Packard Co., Dell Inc., Acer Inc., Asustek Computer Inc. and Toshiba Corp. will launch Fusion embedded PCs ranging from netbooks to desktops by the end of 2011. On the matter of entering the chip market for tablets and smartphones, Sobon said the company has no specific plan any time soon.

So... Llano product rollout begins in H1 2011, widespread by the end of 2011...

Doesn't that seem a little later than recent expectations?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by terrace215 View Post
    So... Llano product rollout begins in H1 2011, widespread by the end of 2011...

Doesn't that seem a little later than recent expectations?
    Yeah, everyone said it would show up this year, but I don't know where that rumour came from.

Xtreme Member
    Well, it says "computers using fusion chips". Maybe we will see the CPUs released at the beginning of 2011 as rumoured and ofc, the big PC producers will roll out their products based on it later on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    Core i3 kinda competes. The CPU portion of Llano likely won't perform as well as Intel cores so the GPU will be the real winner here. We all know that AMD GPUs > Intel GPUs so I'm not worried for Llano. Also AMD is supposed to have pulled out all the stops for low power consumption so this platform may be the new killer app for laptops.
    That is my point.

My mother, neighbor or "Average Joe" never dead-heads their CPU's. But nearly every one of them stresses their graphic subsystem.

For 90% of the people on the planet, any $99 quad core is powerful enough for anything they could ever hope to do. Today, CPU power is basically a moot point for those people.

Xtreme Addict
    I haven't seen anything from AMD deliver competitive performance in the low power segment. I haven't seen a AMD based laptop win a editor choice or even a recommendation from any website.

It might be a game changer performance wise, but AMD has an aweful stigma following it when it comes to laptops and unlike its desktops chips, its well deserved. Unless they market their chips properly(i.e The AMD vision program stinks), even if it is the greatest chip in the world, it won't do them that much.

One stigma AMD will need to fight too is the idea that a gaming laptop cannot be using an integrated chip.

That is my point.

My mother, neighbor or "Average Joe" never dead-heads their CPU's. But nearly every one of them stresses their graphic subsystem.

For 90% of the people on the planet, any $99 quad core is powerful enough for anything they could ever hope to do. Today, CPU power is basically a moot point for those people.
    Unless your mother is a gamer, I can't see your mom stressing her graphics chip. Unless its a Atom that needs a graphics chip to accelerate HD video, which is still pretty rare, a powerful GPU is useless.

The general public will always want more powerful CPUs over GPU's because time is money. Additionally have both a powerful gpu and cpu takes a hit on battery life.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 06-01-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    this will be a game changer for oems and laptops... but mainstream to highend pcs, nah...

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast